Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 9:02am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « One versus the Mob »

Arimaa Forum
   Team Games
   2007 One vs TheMob
(Moderators: supersamu, RonWeasley)
   One versus the Mob
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: One versus the Mob  (Read 10214 times)
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

Re: One versus the Mob
« Reply #60 on: Apr 9th, 2007, 4:07am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Playing for the title of Grand Poobah is a high enough stake Smiley Almost as high as playing for the promise of The_Jeh to help becoming Pope :p
IP Logged

RonWeasley
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #61 on: Apr 9th, 2007, 7:53am »

I'm testing the election technology.  So far it's pretty easy.  Please participate in the following election:
http://www.cs.cornell.edu/w8/~andru/cgi-perl/civs/vote.pl?id=E_4c643b90b bb4beac&akey=6149e1766ce3b3d5

Voting ends Wednesday.
IP Logged
NIC1138
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #65536

« Reply #62 on: Apr 9th, 2007, 11:53am »

on Apr 8th, 2007, 11:22pm, The_Jeh wrote:
or become the Pope.

A rabbi sat by the side of a priest in a plane. He asked: "how do you become a priest?"
"Well, you have to study, and be ordered."
"And how do you become a bishop?"
"Oh you have to study very much, and know many people, and be very blessed..."
"And how do you become an archbishop?"
"Oh, it's even harder, you have to be a great man, study very much, know many people in the church..."
"And a pope?"
"Now, that is very difficult... To be a candidate is already very hard, to actually get there is unimaginable, you really have to be a very blessed man to reach this position."
"And how about Jesus Christ?"
"What?? That's impossible, of course!..."
"Is it?... Well, one of our boys did it!..."  ;D
IP Logged
arimaa_master
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2010

« Reply #63 on: Apr 10th, 2007, 7:28am »

on Apr 8th, 2007, 12:59pm, chessandgo wrote:
I count about 10 or 12 players who have shown willingness to participate to this fun event : Karl, Nic, The_Jeh, Ron, Evan, Jacques, myself ; Omar (?), jdb (?), 99of9 (?), Olti (?), aaaa (?). I suppose more players have not voiced their opinion so far but will participate nonetheless ; maybe we should ask interested people to name themselves, to see who'll be in for a start, and check who wants to be the single player ... several players, including yourself Karl, might be more legitimate than me to take the job.

As for the color, chose how you prefer ...

Hi, I was pretty busy (so I wasn´t able to follow this discussion) but I am now back with enough time to participate in this experiment.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #64 on: Apr 10th, 2007, 10:51am »

on Apr 9th, 2007, 7:53am, RonWeasley wrote:
I'm testing the election technology.  So far it's pretty easy.  Please participate in the following election:
http://www.cs.cornell.edu/w8/~andru/cgi-perl/civs/vote.pl?id=E_4c643b90b bb4beac&akey=6149e1766ce3b3d5

Apparently the Death Eaters make a powerful voting block.  Voldemort has surged into the lead.
IP Logged

The_Jeh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #634

« Reply #65 on: Apr 10th, 2007, 12:01pm »

You're going to e-mail ballots to people, right?  As it is, I can vote multiple times by using different computers.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #66 on: Apr 10th, 2007, 1:37pm »

The more I think about it, the more it seems prudent to distribute voting keys by e-mail.  Furthermore, there are other things to be aware of in the voting.  It appears that:

* No new candidates can be added after the election is created, and existing candidates can't be changed or deleted
* Voters can't change their votes after voting.

If this is correct, then the coordinator has to be very careful about when the election is created.  If there appears to be a need for extra discussion, then it won't do much good to delay the end of the voting.  We would need to delay the start of the voting instead.
IP Logged

The_Jeh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #634

« Reply #67 on: Apr 10th, 2007, 3:25pm »

Using this pre-made system is fine, but would it really be that hard to build our own homemade system?  The Prediction Contest worked just fine, although I know it is simpler.
IP Logged
RonWeasley
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

« Reply #68 on: Apr 10th, 2007, 8:20pm »

I can get a list of e-mails from which one vote may be cast.  That would take care of double counting, but would require the voter to vote from that address.

It seems that if we are changing our minds due to discussion, I could discard a current election and start a new one.  The risk is that Mob members would have to keep checking in to catch changes.  If an election lasts only two days, worthy Mob members may not be able check that frequently and may miss it.
IP Logged
NIC1138
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #65536

« Reply #69 on: Apr 10th, 2007, 9:32pm »

Sure it´s good to keep in mind the possibility of an election having to be rerun. For example, it might happen that everybody misses a stone in danger to be killed on the "other" side of the board!! Shocked Then we would have to rerun the elections considering that... But I believe the best way to solve this is counting on a 3-6 days time with a 2 week reserve time.  

Now, about the home-made elections system, I might be lured into preparing something, but I´m not sure how it could be more practical than this website already is... What are exactly the features it lacks?...
IP Logged
The_Jeh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #634

« Reply #70 on: Apr 10th, 2007, 9:50pm »

It's a very nice site, don't get me wrong.  I'm just reminiscing on how during the Prediction Contest, all you had to do was log into the gameroom to enter your predictions, and if you wanted, you could make changes later and save them.  Our own site would be more aesthetic, and we would generally have more control over it so that we could customize it to fit our specific needs.  For example, you could put a picture of the current board position at the top of the page, and then beside each choice show what the new position would look like.

All of these things are luxuries, not necessities.  Don't go out of your way if you feel CIVS is just fine.  I'm no webmaster and am thus not aware of how big a project it would be.
« Last Edit: Apr 10th, 2007, 10:13pm by The_Jeh » IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #71 on: Apr 11th, 2007, 3:28am »

Ok, as nobody seems to want to be the lone player, I take the job ... that is to say, unless someone else changes his/her mind before the start of the game.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #72 on: Apr 11th, 2007, 10:51am »

Ron, are you ready to go?  I think Omar can could create the game tonight if you give the green light.
IP Logged

RonWeasley
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

« Reply #73 on: Apr 11th, 2007, 12:13pm »

Let me make sure I know what I'm doing.

The voting site works, although I think the Slytherins voted twice.  I would favor Mob members sending me their e-mail addresses.  I know it's bad security, but it does protect against a Mob member voting twice by mistake from different locations.  (I know nobody would do that on purpose ... ?)  Send to my muggle friend nbent@groupw.com.

I'm assuming I'll lock out chessandgo from this forum.  I'm lazy, can anybody tell me how I do that?  I have administrative permissions already.

I'm thinking a nominal one week cycle.  Maybe a little faster for the first few moves or obvious captures (or when we goal).  For example, if most of the Mob settles on a move quickly, we can vote early and if the votes are quick I can move early.  Nominally, however, five days discussion and two days to vote with the move made at the end of the voting period.  The days of the week this falls on will float depending on when chessandgo moves.

Anything I'm forgetting?  Sometimes I leave memories in the pensive.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #74 on: Apr 11th, 2007, 2:43pm »

I think that is everything, although I don't know how you lock out chessandgo.  In fact, Omar implied that that feature is only available in the more upgraded version of the forum software, so we may just have to trust chessandgo not to peek.

I sent you my e-mail address so I can vote.  Guess what piece setup I will be voting for?  Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.