Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 6:17am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Next game »

Arimaa Forum
   Team Games
   2007 One vs TheMob
(Moderators: supersamu, RonWeasley)
   Next game
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Next game  (Read 6588 times)
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

Re: Next game
« Reply #15 on: Oct 30th, 2008, 10:20am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Oct 22nd, 2008, 8:11am, Soter wrote:
I expect that Jean will step into Karl's shoes and become our new "godfather"  Wink.

I fear no one can replace Karl, not me in any case Smiley I forecast next game will be tougher for the Mob Wink
IP Logged

The_Jeh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #634

« Reply #16 on: Nov 14th, 2008, 2:27pm »

I would like to propose December 1, 2008 as the start date for the next Mob game, to be known as "One vs. The Mob 2009." How does everyone feel? Are you rested and ready to go, or do we need some more down time?
« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2008, 2:28pm by The_Jeh » IP Logged
aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #17 on: Nov 14th, 2008, 2:56pm »

It could be that the general expectation is that the next Mob game should wait until after the next world championship has finished. Although it should be expected that the game will still probably go through another championship regardless, not only would it be better to limit the number of such occurrences for sake of the quality of the game, it would perhaps also be better if such a thing were to happen comfortably in the middle of the game, when things are settled and Mob members are comfortable in their role.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #18 on: Nov 14th, 2008, 3:17pm »

I can understand the Mob's hesitancy to start another game given the severe humiliation that awaits them.  Why not postpone a painful defeat for as long as possible?  Clearly the only reason the next game hasn't started already is that the Mob is chicken.

bwaak bwaak bwaaaaaak!
IP Logged

UruramTururam
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2537

« Reply #19 on: Nov 15th, 2008, 2:26am »

Dec 1st is OK for me for the game start.  
I think that Ron should toss a coin who shall play gold Fritz or the Mob.
IP Logged

Caffa et bucella per attactionem corporum venit ad stomachum meum.
BGG Arimaa badges - get your own one!
Soter
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2381

Email

« Reply #20 on: Nov 15th, 2008, 8:55am »

Yeah, December 1 is a good proposal.

Quote:
I think that Ron should toss a coin who shall play gold Fritz or the Mob.

Well, we have already played silver, why not try something new and take command of the Golden Army?
« Last Edit: Nov 15th, 2008, 8:55am by Soter » IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #21 on: Nov 15th, 2008, 9:33am »

on Nov 15th, 2008, 8:55am, Soter wrote:
Well, we have already played silver, why not try something new and take command of the Golden Army?

I'm happy to take the advantage of the Silver pieces if the Mob is so far behind the times as to still think that playing Gold is better.  Choice of color can be the Mob's first weak decision in a spiral to oblivion.

(What can I say?  Until the game starts I have nothing better to do than trash talk.  Tongue)
IP Logged

aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #22 on: Nov 15th, 2008, 9:38am »

But honestly, do you still have the feeling that Silver might actually have the advantage like you stated earlier or was that just a spur-of-the-moment impression?
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #23 on: Nov 16th, 2008, 1:48pm »

I'm fine with 1st dec. If we wait for the WC to be over it delays the Mob game for 4 more months ...
IP Logged

aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #24 on: Nov 16th, 2008, 1:50pm »

As a suggestion for next time, try to keep a record of who came up first with every played move.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #25 on: Nov 16th, 2008, 1:52pm »

The Mob might want to start discussing its opening setup.  (I don't mind if you guys start before your clock is technically ticking; you need all the help you can get.)   Is Omar the only one who can create a new discussion group, or does RonWeasley have some kind of admin rights in this subfolder?
IP Logged

RonWeasley
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #26 on: Nov 17th, 2008, 6:00am »

on Nov 16th, 2008, 1:52pm, Fritzlein wrote:
The Mob might want to start discussing its opening setup.  (I don't mind if you guys start before your clock is technically ticking; you need all the help you can get.)   Is Omar the only one who can create a new discussion group, or does RonWeasley have some kind of admin rights in this subfolder?

I just tried and I don't see how to do it.  We definitely need a new group under team games.  I'll ask Omar.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #27 on: Nov 18th, 2008, 8:31am »

on Nov 15th, 2008, 9:38am, aaaa wrote:
But honestly, do you still have the feeling that Silver might actually have the advantage like you stated earlier or was that just a spur-of-the-moment impression?

Of course Silver might have the advantage.  We are a long way from proving anything about Arimaa openings.  A better question would be this: Assuming that Arimaa is some day proven to be a forced win for one player or the other, what odds do you give that the player who has the forced win will be Silver?

A couple of years ago, I would have given Silver something in the 5% to 10% range.  I didn't see any better setup for Gold than the 99of9 setup, and didn't see a better response than the same thing rotated 180 degrees, as below:
 +-----------------+
8| r r r d d r r r |
7| r h c m e c h r |
6| . . x . . x . . |
5| . . . . . . . . |
4| . . . . . . . . |
3| . . x . . x . . |
2| R H C E M C H R |
1| R R R D D R R R |
 +-----------------+
   a b c d e f g h

Silver has nothing to compensate Gold's first move of four steps, and therefore should be about two steps behind.  It could theoretically be that Gold is in zugzwang, such that any move worsens his positions, but I don't buy it.  It seems totally improbable that tempi are worthless in the opening.

Recently, however, I have been decentralizing my camel as below:
 +-----------------+
8| r r r d d r r r |
7| r h c h e c m r |
6| . . x . . x . . |
5| . . . . . . . . |
4| . . . . . . . . |
3| . . x . . x . . |
2| R H C E M C H R |
1| R R R D D R R R |
 +-----------------+
   a b c d e f g h

Now Silver's elephant is directly opposite Gold's camel, while Gold's elephant is three columns away from Silver's camel.  Obviously there is more going on than this, but supposing that the objective of the opening were merely to touch the opposing player's camel with one's own elephant, then Silver's setup would have gained three steps, more than offsetting Gold's nominal two-step advantage from moving first.

This sort of thought experiment has me presently forecasting that the player with the forced win is about 50% likely to be Silver.  Of course, I would whip the Mob from either side, so color doesn't really matter, but it will be fun to blame the Mob's eventual loss, at least in part, on the Mob erroneously choosing to play Gold.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.