Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 1:43am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Radio Czar Wanted! »

Arimaa Forum
   Team Games
   2011 Arimaa World League
(Moderators: megajester, supersamu)
   Radio Czar Wanted!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Radio Czar Wanted!  (Read 12088 times)
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: Radio Czar Wanted!
« Reply #30 on: Nov 21st, 2011, 10:57am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Nov 21st, 2011, 9:43am, megajester wrote:
Something strange was happening to both me and Adanac in that the window stopped following the moves for some strange reason. I think it was because I was clicking on the lastest move and then "Show." If you click on "last move" instead (the one with this written on it: ">|" ) it shouldn't give you any problems.

I also had this problem, and on the same move that you and Adanac had it for the first time.  The fact that all three of us simultaneously witnessed our clients get out of synch suggests a server issue rather than anything any of us did on the client end.  I went to bed after that, so I didn't see the second glitch, but on the basis of limited evidence, I'm not sure if it is ever safe to walk away while recording.  Undecided

Thanks for sharing your settings, though.  It doesn't sound too hard, and the result was spiffy!
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2011, 10:58am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #31 on: Nov 21st, 2011, 12:18pm »

One thing that I noticed is that the video and audio seemed to be synchronized well at the beginning of the file (aaaa-chessandgo) but towards the end there seemed to be about a 10 second lag between the move appearing on the screen and my audio commentary.  Is there a way to keep them in sync?  I’d guess that, because I’m using push-to-talk, every time that I let go of the key for a moment the audio falls further behind.  If so, is there any way to remove that glitch in the future?
IP Logged

megajester
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #32 on: Nov 21st, 2011, 12:29pm »

on Nov 21st, 2011, 12:18pm, Adanac wrote:
One thing that I noticed is that the video and audio seemed to be synchronized well at the beginning of the file (aaaa-chessandgo) but towards the end there seemed to be about a 10 second lag between the move appearing on the screen and my audio commentary.  Is there a way to keep them in sync?  I’d guess that, because I’m using push-to-talk, every time that I let go of the key for a moment the audio falls further behind.  If so, is there any way to remove that glitch in the future?

The video was made live, ie. you hear and see what i heard and saw, as I heard and saw it. What you're talking about, lag because of using push-to-talk, only happens if you're recording audio using Teamspeak because Teamspeak stops recording when there's no sound.

If I remember correctly there was always a fairly big lag between the move and your commentary. 5-10 seconds I'd say. Arimaa radio's always a bit laggy. Next time I should probably listen to your commentary using Teamspeak and not Arimaa radio. My bad.
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2011, 12:29pm by megajester » IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #33 on: Nov 21st, 2011, 1:04pm »

on Nov 21st, 2011, 12:29pm, megajester wrote:

The video was made live, ie. you hear and see what i heard and saw, as I heard and saw it. What you're talking about, lag because of using push-to-talk, only happens if you're recording audio using Teamspeak because Teamspeak stops recording when there's no sound.

If I remember correctly there was always a fairly big lag between the move and your commentary. 5-10 seconds I'd say. Arimaa radio's always a bit laggy. Next time I should probably listen to your commentary using Teamspeak and not Arimaa radio. My bad.

Great, thanks.  I'm glad there's an easy fix to that problem.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #34 on: Nov 21st, 2011, 3:27pm »

on Nov 21st, 2011, 12:18pm, Adanac wrote:
I’d guess that, because I’m using push-to-talk, every time that I let go of the key for a moment the audio falls further behind.

As megajester says, the ten-second delay is a constant of Arimaa Radio.  It is annoying, but obviously tolerable enough that the majority of people who listen to the broadcast would rather put up with it than download/use TeamSpeak to cut down the delay to a second or so.  But I guess anyone who is going through the hassle of recording and uploading might as well go through a tiny bit more hassle for a better final product.

There were some comments too that the sound quality was better via TeamSpeak than via the radio, but I didn't experience that at all.
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2011, 3:28pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #35 on: Nov 22nd, 2011, 10:27am »

For Round 3, I won't be able to relay commentary for Nombril vs. woh because I will be on the road Friday.  Any Saturday or Sunday games should be doable, though, given advance notice.  Indeed, the Adanac vs. chessandgo pairing Sunday morning is so irresistible that I'll probably have to get up early and give commentary myself.
IP Logged

Dolus
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6845

DolusDeceit

« Reply #36 on: Nov 22nd, 2011, 11:00am »

on Nov 22nd, 2011, 10:27am, Fritzlein wrote:
For Round 3, I won't be able to relay commentary for Nombril vs. woh because I will be on the road Friday.  Any Saturday or Sunday games should be doable, though, given advance notice.  Indeed, the Adanac vs. chessandgo pairing Sunday morning is so irresistible that I'll probably have to get up early and give commentary myself.  

Yikes. 5am for me. I might have to watch the recorded game. I'm not sure my wife would like me waking her up at 5am just so I can watch a game of Arimaa. ;P
IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #37 on: Nov 22nd, 2011, 12:15pm »

on Nov 22nd, 2011, 11:00am, Dolus wrote:

Yikes. 5am for me. I might have to watch the recorded game. I'm not sure my wife would like me waking her up at 5am just so I can watch a game of Arimaa. ;P

Only 5:15 because there's a 15 minute delay in the broadcast Smiley

I can ask chessandgo if he wants to reschedule for a more fan-friendly time slot.  To be honest, I wanted to change my time preferences this morning but the link  

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/events/reg.cgi?e=2011awl

said I wasn't registered and I couldn't figure out how to change my time slots.  Then I came back from lunch and the pairings were already made.

It's no big deal for me because I got a convenient time.  However, from a global perspective there probably isn't a worse audience time slot than 8am EST, other than maybe 7am EST.

IP Logged

Dolus
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6845

DolusDeceit

« Reply #38 on: Nov 22nd, 2011, 12:26pm »

on Nov 22nd, 2011, 12:15pm, Adanac wrote:

*phew* I can sleep in.

I'm normally up sometime before 6 anyways, so it's not too much earlier for my usual schedule...
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #39 on: Nov 22nd, 2011, 2:04pm »

Oh. Sunday is the least convenient day for me, I fear I can't play later than the actual game time. Saturday's slightly better, I can play 1 or 2 hours later than the game time (3 if need be). Week days are much better, if you can play at a reasonably-not-too-late European time it should be fine with me.
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #40 on: Nov 22nd, 2011, 2:06pm »

on Nov 22nd, 2011, 12:15pm, Adanac wrote:

I can ask chessandgo if he wants to reschedule for a more fan-friendly time slot.  To be honest, I wanted to change my time preferences this morning but the link  

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/events/reg.cgi?e=2011awl

said I wasn't registered and I couldn't figure out how to change my time slots.  Then I came back from lunch and the pairings were already made.

It's no big deal for me because I got a convenient time.  However, from a global perspective there probably isn't a worse audience time slot than 8am EST, other than maybe 7am EST.

Were you logged in the gameroom?
IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #41 on: Nov 22nd, 2011, 2:46pm »

on Nov 22nd, 2011, 2:04pm, chessandgo wrote:
Oh. Sunday is the least convenient day for me, I fear I can't play later than the actual game time. Saturday's slightly better, I can play 1 or 2 hours later than the game time (3 if need be). Week days are much better, if you can play at a reasonably-not-too-late European time it should be fine with me.

I have a bit of time off work in the next few days.  Late Friday afternoon would be OK for me but we'd lose Fritzlein as a commentator.  How about Thursday?  I previously booked a vacation day so if you suggest a good time it should work for me.  My schedule is very flexible on Thursday.
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2011, 2:52pm by Adanac » IP Logged

ocmiente
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #3996

« Reply #42 on: Nov 22nd, 2011, 2:58pm »

Thursday might be worse for the audience in the United States.  Many people will be stuffed with turkey looking for a place to take a nap.
IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #43 on: Nov 22nd, 2011, 3:10pm »

on Nov 22nd, 2011, 2:58pm, ocmiente wrote:
Thursday might be worse for the audience in the United States.  Many people will be stuffed with turkey looking for a place to take a nap.  

The game would likely be in the morning or very early afternoon, though, because Jean is in Europe.  But you're right that if we do stick with our current time slot it might not be so bad for spectators.  It's something to consider.

EDIT:  Oh yes, and there's also the 12:30 EST Packers-Lions game to consider.  But Thursday morning still works perfectly fine for me.
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2011, 3:20pm by Adanac » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #44 on: Nov 22nd, 2011, 3:53pm »

on Nov 22nd, 2011, 3:10pm, Adanac wrote:
But Thursday morning still works perfectly fine for me.

I can't commentate on Thursday, but it might be a better day for spectators anyway.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.