Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 6:01pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Strategies to beat bots »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Bot Development
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Strategies to beat bots
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Strategies to beat bots  (Read 2016 times)
fotland
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #211

Strategies to beat bots
« on: Sep 3rd, 2003, 10:08am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

What's your favorite strategy to beat a bot?  I've seen several:

1) get an advanced rabbit with some strong pieces nearby, and sacrifice a lot of material to distract the bot while you creat an unstoppable goal threat

2) Outplay it around the traps and get ahead in material.

3) Keep your own pieces back and force it to come to you, then pin its pieces near your traps defending each other, so you have an advantage on the rest of the board.

Any others?

David
IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

Re: Strategies to beat bots
« Reply #1 on: Sep 3rd, 2003, 11:49am »

In some ways this is similar to #1:

4) Stack all your best pieces on one side of the board (right or left), then expel all the bot pieces from that side, then you can just advance your rabbit nearly for free.
IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #2 on: Sep 3rd, 2003, 12:15pm »

One I beat speedy with the other day.  Though actually I didn't plan this, it just happened.

5) Let the bot "trap" one of your bigish pieces (in my case it was a horse) but crush it on the rest of the board:

I defended my piece with my elephant only.  The bot realised that if I moved my elephant, my horse would die, so was very keen to make sure my horse stayed on the trap.  To do this the bot had to block the 3 other sides with pieces at least as big as a horse.  In my case I think it blocked with elephant, camel, and horse.  Because it had used so much of it's own material in the blockade, I outnumbered it on the rest of the board where I could rampage at will.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #3 on: Sep 11th, 2003, 11:51pm »

I was really amazed that this worked on Speedy; you can pull something like this on shallowBlue or Arimaazilla, but it usually doesn't work on the stronger bots; maybe Jeff didn't know that Smiley. Then again it was an earlier version of Speedy; so this might not work anymore.

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/gameroom/showGame.cgi?gid=2187&client=1

Omar
IP Logged
fotland
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #211

« Reply #4 on: Sep 12th, 2003, 1:22am »

on Sep 11th, 2003, 11:51pm, omar wrote:
I was really amazed that this worked on Speedy; you can pull something like this on shallowBlue or Arimaazilla, but it usually doesn't work on the stronger bots; maybe Jeff didn't know that Smiley. Then again it was an earlier version of Speedy; so this might not work anymore.

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/gameroom/showGame.cgi?gid=2187&client=1

Omar

I fixed this after that game, so it won't value this kind of trap control when it is using more strength than it is trapping.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.