Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 17th, 2024, 8:00pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2015 WC Commentary »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2015 WC Commentary
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2015 WC Commentary  (Read 2276 times)
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

2015 WC Commentary
« on: Jan 5th, 2015, 9:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The spreadsheet for commentators to coordinate the games they plan to announce is at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12zzIHDiIZKALPQbDMAaXATAApCtF5sYE 6aBITYglWKE/edit?usp=sharing

Instructions for getting setup are in this thread.

I'm still working on setting up the relay to also record the commentary. This may or may not get done soon.

Any other questions feel free to ask below.

Janzert
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: 2015 WC Commentary
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13th, 2015, 1:09pm »

GorgontheWonderCow and I are going to take a stab at working together, starting with 99of9 vs. novacat in Round 2.  Both of us prefer the structure of having exactly two commentators as opposed to an "open mike night" that some others have had success with.  I guess that mirrors my Arimaa playing style: I always try to simplify rather than complicate.  Smiley

That said, I understand it raises some issues to claim exclusive use of Arimaa radio for any specific game.  Maybe it's not a big deal in the preliminaries when we can easily take turns because there are more than twenty games to go around, but for the finals it is a great privilege to get to commentate the marquee games.  Is there any way that more than one channel of commentary could be set up?  If not, we may need to talk about how to finesse the issue of having more willing commentators than available airtime.

First things first, though.  We need to see whether Ryan and I even make a decent team.  I'm probably going to be more nervous about the game than 99of9 and novacat.  Saturday night, here we come!
« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2015, 1:09pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

clyring
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6218

« Reply #2 on: Jan 13th, 2015, 7:52pm »

As I recall, it was originally intended for the 'Commentator' spreadsheet slot in the 2013 WC to imply a more personal level of format control, and this is something I am more than happy to respect, within reason. This is also why I have generally historically taken the 'co-commentator' slots in the coordination spreadsheets.
IP Logged

I administer the Endless Endgame Event (EEE). Players welcome!
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #3 on: Jan 14th, 2015, 11:38am »

There does seem to be some accommodation in the site radio widget setup for multiple games at once. I'm not sure if it has ever been used or even fully tested and certainly my end with relay isn't currently setup for it. But if it looks like something we'll need I'll be happy to try getting it setup.

One additional note for commentators. I expect that things have a better chance to go much smoothly for you if you can pretest whatever setup you're planning on using. On the other hand if you don't get the chance to test beforehand don't worry about it too much.

Be as complete as you can make it, including the combination of commentators, the hardware they are planning to use, any additional streaming (vimeo, youtube, etc.). Pick a random game in the gameroom and commentate for 5-10 minutes. You don't need to actually add the radio widget to the game, you can check that at http://radio.janzert.com/ if you want. This will hopefully let you work out any little kinks and surprises beforehand.

If or more likely when something goes wrong, be it technical or otherwise, stay calm, nobody else is upset, the community is very forgiving and happy for whatever you are able to do.

Janzert
IP Logged
GorgontheWonderCow
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #10183

« Reply #4 on: Jan 17th, 2015, 11:03pm »

My base broadcasting package can be previewed here (for 99of9 VS Novacat): http://www.twitch.tv/gotcow/b/612583389

I'll work on the quality of broadcasting, both from my execution and from a technical perspective, as we continue to move forward. The next step is to try and removed the delay between broadcasters which we're experiencing on mumble. I'll work on a solution to that as soon as I have time.
IP Logged

Broadcasting and analyzing wherever games are played.
JimmSlimm
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6348

« Reply #5 on: Jan 18th, 2015, 2:33am »

Very nice! I hope arimaa will get gain some new players from twitch from this Smiley

If there are some new potential players, maybe have a introductionary video/highlight about arimaa, like the rules, and mentioning the difficulty of building AI compared to chess? Or simply a link to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tjwid2Q4PY8

Good job!
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #6 on: Jan 18th, 2015, 8:22pm »

Congrats on an awesome broadcast Grogon and Fritz. Even my kids stopped what they were doing and started listening to the Arimaa broadcast I had on. They are a hard bunch to please, so you guys really knocked it out of the park Smiley
IP Logged
GorgontheWonderCow
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #10183

« Reply #7 on: Jan 24th, 2015, 11:07am »

This weekend I'll be doing clyring/Fritzlein with kzb52. KZB52--if you have a voice messaging software other than Mumble, such as skype, please let me know--I might like to experiment with an alternative setup scheme so that we can get rid of the delay between broadcasters.
IP Logged

kzb52
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #8454

« Reply #8 on: Jan 24th, 2015, 6:38pm »

I do have skype.  I'll contact you via a direct message as well, but basically I'm free to experiment and configure setups whenever you want on Sunday.  Looking forward to talking with you tomorrow.  Cool
IP Logged
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #9 on: Jan 27th, 2015, 1:48pm »

Great to see the number of commentators who are participating seems to be increasing. I think we may have already surpassed any other year for the number of different commentators. Last year I think was 4 or 5 commentators and this year we are already up to 6 or 7.

Also everyone I've been able to listen to has done a great job. Thanks for the effort.

Janzert
IP Logged
GorgontheWonderCow
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #10183

« Reply #10 on: Jan 31st, 2015, 1:03pm »

I think I'll have to sit this weekend out due to some complications with work/real life considerations. I'll try to cast two from the following week to make up for it!
IP Logged

GorgontheWonderCow
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #10183

« Reply #11 on: Mar 14th, 2015, 12:05pm »

I can't apologize profusely enough for dropping the ball on my commentary the last two weeks in a row. I keep signing up for games thinking they are on a Sunday (for some reason) and missing them when they actually occur on Saturdays. Unfortunately, I work on Saturday afternoons, which may be why I am continuously tricking myself into thinking the games are occurring on Sundays...

I've been really disappointed to be so inactive as well. Hopefully I'll be able to rectify this situation in the near future.
IP Logged

lightvector
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2543

« Reply #12 on: Mar 14th, 2015, 9:41pm »

Thanks for the update. Many people here enjoy your commentary, and if they're disappointed when you're missing, in part it's simply because of the way they have come to value your contribution in the first place. Don't make yourself feel too bad for it - instead of that, just do the things you need to do to really make sure you get the date right on any future games you sign up for. Smiley  
IP Logged
aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #13 on: Mar 15th, 2015, 7:00pm »

on Mar 14th, 2015, 12:05pm, GorgontheWonderCow wrote:
I can't apologize profusely enough for dropping the ball on my commentary the last two weeks in a row. I keep signing up for games thinking they are on a Sunday (for some reason) and missing them when they actually occur on Saturdays. Unfortunately, I work on Saturday afternoons, which may be why I am continuously tricking myself into thinking the games are occurring on Sundays...

I've been really disappointed to be so inactive as well. Hopefully I'll be able to rectify this situation in the near future.

Would you be willing to commentate any of the Challenge games as well?
IP Logged
GorgontheWonderCow
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #10183

« Reply #14 on: Mar 17th, 2015, 12:43am »

I would if I can schedule them in! I miss casting Arimaa already and I've only been gone for a few weeks Smiley.
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.