Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 6:11am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Game viewer / analysis tool »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Site Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Game viewer / analysis tool
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8  ...  10 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Game viewer / analysis tool  (Read 62854 times)
clojure
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5004

Re: Game viewer / analysis tool
« Reply #75 on: Oct 12th, 2010, 1:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I added the randomization.

Indeed some kind of context-sensitive help would be neat but I think I'll pass it for now. I added it as a task to issue manager: http://bitbucket.org/egaga/arimaa-tutorial/issue/4/context-sensitive-hel p

Notice that the project page is different from the viewer.

And great to see that you seem to strongly agree with my initial plan, i.e. to let player get familiar without too much clutter.

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2010, 1:25pm by clojure » IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #76 on: Oct 12th, 2010, 5:12pm »

Sweet, and it is a new setup if I play twice.  Thanks.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #77 on: Oct 17th, 2010, 9:05pm »

I went to bitbucket to check out the latest version of the analysis tool, but I forgot how I got it running on my computer last time.  Could you give me a quick hint?  Thanks in advance!
IP Logged

clojure
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5004

« Reply #78 on: Oct 18th, 2010, 4:24am »

Hi. The latest version that I mostly intend to be usable by others resides in http://personal.inet.fi/koti/egaga/arimaa/arimaa.html

The version I'm working on, and at this moment is NOT usable can be get the following ways:

If you want to download the sources as zip, you can download it from rights side "get source" dropdown list. Then extract and open the "arimaa.html" with a browser.

There is a third option but you have to have hg/Mercurial installed (it might be with some Linux distributions).

If so, in command line:
hg clone https://egaga@bitbucket.org/egaga/arimaa-game-viewer

Later you get new updates by first "hg pull" then "hg update".

I'm in middle of making a change that makes importing the new notation work, and I don't remember what particular instance I have committed to that repository. The newest version of the viewer in Bitbucket might not work at all.
« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2010, 4:27am by clojure » IP Logged
clojure
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5004

« Reply #79 on: Oct 22nd, 2010, 6:39pm »

The Arimaa online festival is in a week. I did my final burst of effort today. I hope the viewer will be usable and won't cause headache for Fritzlein.  

Hereby I present a version of the game viewer that is able to load and save modified games. http://personal.inet.fi/koti/egaga/arimaa-viewer/arimaa.html

First of all, note that it is not at the same URL as before. You can use the earlier version also, in case the new one has more problems: http://personal.inet.fi/koti/egaga/arimaa/arimaa.html

Here is user manual that still needs probably some details.
http://bitbucket.org/egaga/arimaa-game-viewer/wiki/doc_usermanual

The following is especially important for Fritzlein, I hope you read it carefully.

If saving, or loading fails, there could be situation where every bit of work you have done beforehand might not be usable. So please be aware of this. If you don't find any problems during non-trivial testing, it should work.

First thing you need to do is to test whether saving works with your browser. Do some modifications to the gametree, and save it. Then close the browser and press "saved games". If there is a game that you can "load", and the game is as you modified, then congrats, you have a supported browser. (For some reason, Mozilla Firefox 3 doesn't save them permanently for me; Chrome works fine).

Here's an idea if you need to use the older version: don't shutdown the browser and have multiple tabs that have each their own viewer. This has the risk that you close the browser accidentally or by shutdown. But it's a possibility.

If you use the newest version, one thing you might not notice is that setup variations are not saved. This is due to the fact that I forgot to add the initial support for the new file format, and thus later for the implementation. I don't think it's very important, so bear without it. You can use setup variations on the fly when you are live, though.

There are probably lots of small things that could be improved but since the festival is so close already, I'd like to know what are the most crucial things I need to fix.

This project has reached a quite important phase. I hope some of you like it, and find it useful. Comments are more than welcome. I know probably most issues but it's always useful to hear them from a different viewpoint.

Thank you for all the support, gotten and to come.

EDIT: Gosh, I need to still update the import before you can import arbitrary games. This is because my notation does not support redundant marking of capturing.

EDIT 2: Fixed. Now you can import Arimaa.com games by taking a copy paste from the Arimaa.com move list that you get with "M" in javascript game client.

EDIT 3: As I haven't tested this thoroughly, I find small problems. For example, markings were one row off. But since I can save and load with intermediate format being text, I'm quite confident that mostly it works.

EDIT 4: Seems that if one has _both_ markings and comments on a same node, the loading fails. Let me see...

EDIT 5: needed to add a space for exporting between markings and a comment. I wish everything was as trivial to fix.

EDIT 6: markings had problem: they were shown incorrectly. This problem came to be since I changed the underlying coordinate system earlier.

When testing save/loading, you should reload the browser to be sure that everything is as fresh as could, since just pressing F5 seems to keep old data sometimes.
« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2010, 11:22pm by clojure » IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #80 on: Oct 23rd, 2010, 2:07am »

Thank you so much.  I will test this soon, indeed I must as the festival is upon us.  It is bad luck that my Arimaa time has been less than usual right before the festival, but I will try to make the strategy workshop worth attending nevertheless.  It is rather late for me to give you development feedback, but I am sure that if I can find any way to save and load game trees in some browser then my presentation will be head and shoulders above anything I could have done without your tool.  You are very generous to the Arimaa community, and I greatly appreciate it.
IP Logged

clojure
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5004

« Reply #81 on: Oct 23rd, 2010, 7:29am »

Quick thoughts, I woke just up.

Please don't start doing actual work before I know, so that I don't hassle anything, and that I'm sure I've done everything to ensure it works. It would be nice to hear what's your schedule to create the modified games.

Other thing is that, we can minimize the risk of having work lost quite a lot with a bit of manual labor from you.

I will add better export button that will give you all saved games as one text. Then you should copy-paste it from time to time to a text file on your computer.

Then if the real load system fails, you can look at the manual backup, (maybe fix it if it's already broken there), and cut the notation for the game you need and import it.
« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2010, 7:30am by clojure » IP Logged
clojure
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5004

« Reply #82 on: Oct 23rd, 2010, 10:51am »

I added the possibility to export games properly. Now you can copy paste the games as the new format (FAN) and modify it with hand if need be. Then you can import it. The format implementation doesn't support yet all the requirements, such as single step commenting. But you can get idea by looking at the exported notation.  

Notice that when you export all saved games with "export all", you get also information that cannot be handled by the import system; only moves, variations, markings and comments are supported. If you feed invalid data to the import textarea, it doesn't do anything or might complain in computer jargon.

I strongly suggest you do export to external continuously as you work on the game. The viewer has no version control in itself, at least yet, so new saves override old ones.

The viewer hasn't been tested exhaustively. Especially I'm worried about deleting and moving variations, since their code is quite elaborate. Also performance-wise I have no clue whether it works for average person. Memory consuption could be problem in long term session. So sometimes it could be good idea to restart your tab/browser (depending how it handles memory).

I might do a short video to show how everything works... (or doesn't).
« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2010, 10:56am by clojure » IP Logged
clojure
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5004

« Reply #83 on: Oct 23rd, 2010, 3:40pm »

Demonstration of the new features: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raeswA4pzj4
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #84 on: Oct 24th, 2010, 6:58am »

Wow, this tool is becoming extremely powerful. Great work Henrik.
IP Logged
clojure
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5004

« Reply #85 on: Oct 24th, 2010, 9:03am »

on Oct 24th, 2010, 6:58am, omar wrote:
Wow, this tool is becoming extremely powerful. Great work Henrik.

Thanks for appreciating! My only concern is that there could lurk some minor bugs, and that some parts of the code requires intimate knowledge of how things work, and isn't at the moment well documented. Partly it's due to how I approach development process in solo coding to keep myself motivated, partly due to the nature of javascript combined with my coding preferences.  

However, new orthogonal features could be co-developed by others. Especially code that doesn't not need to modify gametree should be relatively easy to use as a blackbox.
IP Logged
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #86 on: Oct 24th, 2010, 11:44am »

Wow, it saves now Smiley, seems I would like to analyze my postals with it ... it could be helpful later Smiley ... good job.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #87 on: Oct 24th, 2010, 12:00pm »

on Oct 23rd, 2010, 3:40pm, clojure wrote:
Demonstration of the new features: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raeswA4pzj4

I just watched, and I am blown away by your progress.  Incredible.  You are an amazing programmer.  I will start preparing my presentation file this afternoon.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #88 on: Oct 24th, 2010, 12:17pm »

I am trying to import game 115864, the one I will discuss in the workshop, into the editor, without success so far.  The move list generated by the game room uses 1w, 1b, 2w, etc. for the move numbers instead of 1g, 1s, 2b, etc.  I guess that could prevent importing, but even when I change the numbers it isn't working.  I'll keep trying various ways to get the game in; if necessary I could enter the moves by hand.

[EDIT]
OK, I see that the captures are explicit in the notation I am trying to import, but implicit in FAN.  e.g.  

26s  ee3e Ce2n ef3n Ce3e Cf3x
vs.
 26s  ee3e Ce2n ef3n Ce3e

With captures removed, 'b' and 'w' changed to 's' and 'g', and spaces inserted before and after move numbers, I was able to import the whole game.  It feels great to know that I can export to and import from external text files; that gives me confidence to start the real work.  Now begins the annotation!  Yay!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2010, 12:56pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #89 on: Oct 24th, 2010, 12:54pm »

Does the setup variation always occur only as a branch under Gold's setup and not as a branch under Silver's setup?
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8  ...  10 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.