Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2024, 4:35pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « same login for Gameroom / Forums / Wiki? »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Site Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   same login for Gameroom / Forums / Wiki?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: same login for Gameroom / Forums / Wiki?  (Read 5455 times)
mattj256
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #8519

same login for Gameroom / Forums / Wiki?
« on: Apr 6th, 2013, 4:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all.  I just discovered Arimaa last month.
Has anyone noticed the following bug?
1. I register for the gameroom.
2. I try to use that login for the forum.
3. It doesn't work.

I'll outline the exact steps below if anyone wants to try to reproduce, but now I'm just going to say, AAAARGH!!!

Steps to reproduce
1. Go to Arimaa.com, click link on left hand menu for the gameroom.
(http://arimaa.com/arimaa/gameroom/)
2. Register with an email address and password that has never been used on the site before.
3. (optional) Log in to the gameroom to make sure your login works.
4. Go to Arimaa.com, click link on left hand menu for the forum.
(http://arimaa.com/arimaa/forum/)
5. Try logging in with your existing email address. (doesn't work)
6. Try logging in with your existing username. (doesn't work)
7. Get really frustrated.

Also, as I mentioned in the title, this problem affects the Arimaa wiki as well.
The gameroom, the wiki, and the forum should all run off of a single integrated login.  I eventually figured out how to create a forum account (obviously), but I think it's reasonable to ask that this be fixed for future users.
Thanks for reading.
Matthew
IP Logged
clyring
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6218

Re: same login for Gameroom / Forums / Wiki?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 6th, 2013, 6:20pm »

In the gameroom at the top of the right sidebar, above the list of players online and the link to the almost completely unused event calendar, under the "Community" heading is a link to the forums that allows you to easily create the closest feasible thing to an integrated account or log in to your existing one.
IP Logged

I administer the Endless Endgame Event (EEE). Players welcome!
mattj256
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #8519

« Reply #2 on: Apr 6th, 2013, 7:06pm »

on Apr 6th, 2013, 6:20pm, clyring wrote:
In the gameroom at the top of the right sidebar, above the list of players online and the link to the almost completely unused event calendar, under the "Community" heading is a link to the forums that allows you to easily create the closest feasible thing to an integrated account or log in to your existing one.

Thank you.  I eventually found that link, but I hope you'll forgive me if I say that that link is a bit hard to find and not so useful to other new users.
IP Logged
jhoravi
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #8647

« Reply #3 on: May 12th, 2013, 9:56pm »

Hi!

I also experienced the same problem and it took me days and many accounts before I discovered that the only way to log-in the forum is Not in the forum itself but rather from the gameroom. Cry  Maybe the site owner wants us to play first?  Roll Eyes
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #4 on: May 18th, 2013, 8:27am »

Thanks. I've changed that link now to be similar to the link from the gameroom.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #5 on: May 19th, 2013, 2:31pm »

on May 18th, 2013, 8:27am, omar wrote:
Thanks. I've changed that link now to be similar to the link from the gameroom.

After you made this change yesterday, DrStro came into the chat room to report that, as a new user, there was no way at all for him to log into the Forum.  Omar, when you get a chance, please check whether the symptoms he was reporting might be related to the change you made.  (Chat from May 18).  Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 19th, 2013, 2:31pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

mattj256
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #8519

« Reply #6 on: May 20th, 2013, 12:42am »

on May 19th, 2013, 2:31pm, Fritzlein wrote:
After you made this change yesterday, DrStro came into the chat room to report that, as a new user, there was no way at all for him to log into the Forum.
As a not-new user I'm also having problems.  I think there are no links at all to the Forum now, so the only way I can access it is by typing in the web address from memory?  One solution would be to have the main page "forum" and "gameroom" links both point to the gameroom, as they currently do, but once you're in the gameroom have the two "forum" links on that page point to the forum.  Apologies if there's some existing link to the forum that I'm overlooking.
IP Logged
JimmSlimm
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6348

« Reply #7 on: May 30th, 2013, 7:22am »

I have the same problem to get into the forum, I am using saved bookmark to find it
IP Logged
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #8 on: May 30th, 2013, 2:15pm »

Hmm, I don't know if my cache just finally expired for the old front page or what else may have changed. But I now see the forum link on the front page and in the gameroom as http://arimaa.com/arimaa/gameroom/forumLogin.cgi which brings me to the gameroom login and then into the gameroom instead of the forum.

Janzert
« Last Edit: May 30th, 2013, 2:16pm by Janzert » IP Logged
browni3141
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #7014

« Reply #9 on: May 30th, 2013, 6:01pm »

Personally I can't duplicate this effect while logged in to the gameroom. I experience it only if I try to log in to the forum without already being logged in to the gameroom.
Of course I always go into the forum from the gameroom page, so I'm already logged in.
Also, personally I never had a problem finding the forum link from the gameroom page. It is pretty standard to have navigation in a sidebar. I think it is intuitive enough, especially when there are TWO links to get to the forum from the gameroom.
IP Logged

mattj256
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #8519

« Reply #10 on: May 30th, 2013, 11:28pm »

Yeah I just want to reiterate that I still don't have any way to get into the forum other than typing the URL from memory.  I'm running Firefox 21.0 on Ubuntu Linux 12.10.  

Browni3141, on my computer/browser the two links that say "forum" in the gameroom both point to http://arimaa.com/arimaa/gameroom/forumLogin.cgi.  From that address after I log in I can do the gameroom but not the forum.  Unless I'm missing something...
« Last Edit: May 30th, 2013, 11:28pm by mattj256 » IP Logged
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #11 on: May 31st, 2013, 1:10pm »

I accidentally made an interesting discovery just now.  Wink

As with mattj256 I'm using Firefox although in my case the latest beta 22.0 under win7.

On the front page, clicking the forum link displays the gameroom login page. Alternately from the gameroom, clicking the forum link on the right hand sidebar opens a new tab with the gameroom login page.

Logging in there takes me into the gameroom. But the url in the url bar is still the forum login link.

If I then manually refresh the page (not the refresh link in the upper right of the gameroom, the browser refresh button) the forum loads.

Janzert
IP Logged
The_Jeh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #634

« Reply #12 on: Jun 8th, 2013, 12:38pm »

I would just like to say that I can't use the links, either. They all just take me to the gameroom login page. I can only get to the forum by typing in the correct address manually.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.