Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 5:22pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « What's best as a handicap? »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   What's best as a handicap?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: What's best as a handicap?  (Read 1390 times)
Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

What's best as a handicap?
« on: Apr 24th, 2008, 6:18pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

EMHDDCC

or

EMHHDD ?

According to mistre's order it's the second one but if one refers to aaaa's then it's the first one.
IP Logged
The_Jeh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #634

Re: What's best as a handicap?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 24th, 2008, 6:23pm »

on Apr 24th, 2008, 6:18pm, Arimabuff wrote:
EMHDDCC

or

EMHHDD ?

According to mistre's order it's the second one but if one refers to aaaa's then it's the first one.

If you reduce that down, the question is whether CC is better than H, and I think most people would agree that H is better than CC. Did you mean to ask about a different handicap?
« Last Edit: Apr 24th, 2008, 6:24pm by The_Jeh » IP Logged
Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #2 on: Apr 24th, 2008, 6:34pm »

on Apr 24th, 2008, 6:23pm, The_Jeh wrote:

If you reduce that down, the question is whether CC is better than H, and I think most people would agree that H is better than CC. Did you mean to ask about a different handicap?

I hold them both for ArimaaScoreP2 and was wondering which one I should display.
IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #3 on: Apr 24th, 2008, 11:03pm »

on Apr 24th, 2008, 6:23pm, The_Jeh wrote:

"Reduce down" is not a good way to think, because it assumes piece values stay roughly constant no matter what else is on the board.  That's the point of using these materials evaluators that know better.

If we're only listing one record per bot, I would tend to go with aaaa's list, since it is comprehensive and the methodology is at least as good.

But we still haven't really come to a conclusion on whether to use partial orders instead (which would mean you should list both), or whether to order according to how that handicap has performed against other bots (which would probably mean listing both for the moment, but you would need to look through other records in quite a bit of detail to figure out what to do).  (Discussion in the other thread.) Do you have an opinion on this Arimanator?
« Last Edit: Apr 24th, 2008, 11:07pm by 99of9 » IP Logged
Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #4 on: Apr 24th, 2008, 11:41pm »

on Apr 24th, 2008, 11:03pm, 99of9 wrote:

...Do you have an opinion on this Arimanator?

In this particular case, I would say that one horse is the best since each cat could and did assist the other. Therefore, the one horse remaining handicap was definitely harder.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.