Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 5:55am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Tournament Size Pieces »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Tournament Size Pieces
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  6 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Tournament Size Pieces  (Read 23000 times)
ocmiente
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #3996

Tournament Size Pieces
« on: Jan 25th, 2011, 1:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This is very much under construction.  Pricing and availability will be announced soon (within the next couple of weeks).  

Please go to tournamentpieces.webstarts.com and click on the VIDEO link there.  

I apologize ahead of time for the poor lighting and blurriness of the video.  I plan to re-shoot it soon.

The new page is here
« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2011, 6:16pm by ocmiente » IP Logged

megamau
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #206

Re: Tournament Size Pieces
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25th, 2011, 1:41pm »

Great...sign me in for a set at any 2-figures price.  Grin
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 25th, 2011, 10:22pm »

Major cool.  I already have nine Zman sets (so I can give a simul), but I just might need one more...

Once you are ready to start selling, be sure to announce it on Board Game Geek as well.  Here on arimaa.com we have all the serious players and students of the game, but over on BGG they have collectors.  Some folks on BGG who have played less than a dozen games will nevertheless buy the set just for the animal theme.
IP Logged

megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 26th, 2011, 12:28am »

Wow! Well done! Let me know how much you'll be charging...

By the way your web link starts "http:////". My Firefox was clever enough to work it out but IE7 was stumped.
« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2011, 11:24am by megajester » IP Logged

ocmiente
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #3996

« Reply #4 on: Jan 26th, 2011, 12:32pm »

on Jan 26th, 2011, 12:28am, megajester wrote:
By the way your web link starts "http:////". My Firefox was clever enough to work it out but IE7 was stumped.

Thanks!  I think it's fixed now.
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #5 on: Jan 26th, 2011, 1:15pm »

cool Smiley
IP Logged

qswanger
Forum Guru

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 26th, 2011, 8:25pm »

Way cool! ... I want one!
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #7 on: Jan 27th, 2011, 12:55pm »

Thomas has been working on this for almost one year now. He has tried various approaches with making the molds and tried various materials for the pieces. I am really glad to see that he now has a finished product.

The pieces are very durable. I did some drop tests using some spare rabbits Thomas sent me. Even when I dropped them head first from about 4 feet high to a hard tile floor the ears did not break off nor did the pieces chip anywhere. So I was really impressed with the quality of the material used to make the pieces. Also the pieces have steel wights inside to give them a nice hefty feel.

It's quite an investment of time and energy that Thomas has put into this. Such sets just would not be possible for our small community had it not been for his efforts. I hope everyone will support him by getting a set.

These sets along with the iPhone Arimaa clock app provide the essential equipment we need to have face-to-face Arimaa tournaments. Now, it's just a matter of organizing them. I am seriously considering organizing one at the 2011 BGG convention.
« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2011, 1:00pm by omar » IP Logged
leo
Forum Guru

« Reply #8 on: Feb 6th, 2011, 3:47am »

That's some serious stuff! Did you design the pieces of the Z-Man set too?
A face-to-face tournament in 2011? Wow!!!!
IP Logged
ocmiente
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #3996

« Reply #9 on: Feb 6th, 2011, 9:27pm »

on Feb 6th, 2011, 3:47am, leo wrote:
Did you design the pieces of the Z-Man set too?

Thanks for the comments.  

I did not design the pieces.  When I began working on this, I had planned to design my own pieces.  Omar helped speed things up a lot by letting me use the pieces he had designed.  The Z-Man pieces are based on the same 3D models.  The Z-Man models were modified to make it easy for the pieces to come out of a rigid two part mold, and I think some extra depth was added to some areas to add contrast.  I modified the models only to size the pieces, and I thickened the elephant's ears to give them a little extra strength.  So, there are some differences between the sets, but for the most part the way they look is very similar.

I'll have the pricing information later this week.  I feel the need to warn everyone that they will cost more than many people will be willing to pay.  I would certainly like everyone to have a set, but I hope everyone will keep in mind that each set takes me several hours to manufacture, after I get home from my day job.  This set is not a mass produced item.  More about that soon...

IP Logged

leo
Forum Guru

« Reply #10 on: Feb 7th, 2011, 1:28am »

Oh, Omar himself designed the Z-Man pieces! I must have been in a cave because I missed the information.
I have another question: You explain in the video what the board is made of and how it is printed but my English ear is too untrained to understand those two bits. Could you or someone write it? Thanks!
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #11 on: Feb 7th, 2011, 9:03am »

on Feb 7th, 2011, 1:28am, leo wrote:
Oh, Omar himself designed the Z-Man pieces!

...with the help of a professional artist...
IP Logged

ocmiente
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #3996

« Reply #12 on: Feb 7th, 2011, 12:09pm »

on Feb 7th, 2011, 1:28am, leo wrote:

I have another question: You explain in the video what the board is made of and how it is printed but my English ear is too untrained to understand those two bits. Could you or someone write it? Thanks!

Sorry about that...  I should probably get some video editing software so I can fix that up... in the meantime, it's an automotive vinyl, and the graphics are silk-screened on using a black solvent ink (i.e. it's a special type of ink that binds to the vinyl better than other inks).

The vinyl is a premium, soft leather-like vinyl.   I plan to put up a page describing the board in detail soon.  Until then, here is more information than you probably want to know:
  • 27oz. Weight Per Linear Yard.
  • Soft Hi-Loft Backing.
  • Mildew resistant.
  • UV Stabilized Pigments.
  • Light Fastness: 1,000 Hours.
  • Passes: BIFMA Class A, UFAC-Class 1, Cal. Tech Bul. 117 Section E.,MVSS 302.
IP Logged

leo
Forum Guru

« Reply #13 on: Feb 7th, 2011, 12:30pm »

Thank you Ocmiente!
That's more information than I wanted indeed Smiley but it's interesting to know anyway. It looks stuff that lasts centuries.

The problem is not with the video sound but with my own ear: English is not my native language and I'm not used to use it spokenly. It took me a while to understand that "fay links" are actually a phalanx in the game commentaries Grin

@Fritzlein: Thank you for the information!
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #14 on: Feb 8th, 2011, 5:37pm »

on Feb 7th, 2011, 9:03am, Fritzlein wrote:

...with the help of a professional artist...

Yes, I actually went through 2 professional artists before finding an artist who could create the models as I had imagined them. It took months just to design the pieces.

The pieces in this tournament set are exactly as they were modeled. It's amazing how Thomas was able to create them without much join lines and even get them to come out of the mold.

« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2011, 5:38pm by omar » IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  6 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.