Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 9:23am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Tournament Size Pieces »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   General Discussion
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Tournament Size Pieces
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  6 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Tournament Size Pieces  (Read 23002 times)
UruramTururam
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2537

Re: Tournament Size Pieces
« Reply #30 on: Feb 18th, 2011, 9:29am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

So after our purchases ocmiente's set is out of stock.  Wink
IP Logged

Caffa et bucella per attactionem corporum venit ad stomachum meum.
BGG Arimaa badges - get your own one!
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #31 on: Feb 18th, 2011, 10:33am »

on Feb 18th, 2011, 9:29am, UruramTururam wrote:

It's the social cachet of a high price and a hand-made object: not everyone is going to have one.  It's like camping out in line for three days to buy tickets to a small event; you get in the door because you have proven you are more insane than all the other fans!  Cheesy
IP Logged

ocmiente
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #3996

« Reply #32 on: Feb 18th, 2011, 11:38am »

on Feb 18th, 2011, 9:29am, UruramTururam wrote:

Thank you all very much for the orders!  

I will update the product page this evening to put more up for sale.  The ship date for this next batch of sets will be 2-4 weeks from the time of purchase.  At this time, I'm only able to produce a couple of sets a week.

IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #33 on: Feb 21st, 2011, 3:09pm »

My set just arrived.  I love the look and feel of the pieces!  For my full-sized hands, these pieces are a good size to grab and drop on another square without feeling like I'm a bull in a china shop.  Also they fit perfectly into my Excalibur carrying case.  Sorry, old chess pieces; you're going to have to live in a box now.  I look forward to rolling out this set at the UTD chess club.  Omar, should we coordinate a time to go together?

One thing that wasn't clear to me until I held the pieces in my hands is how much easier they are to tell apart than the Z-man pieces.  Partly this is because ocmiente's pieces are all larger, but partly it is because the size differences have been exaggerated.  (I could have inferred this when the video said the elephant is twice as tall as the Z-man elephant and the rabbit is only 1.5 times as tall, but I failed to make the logical leap.) In particular, I learned to tell apart the Z-man camel and horses by the mane and ears, but in ocmeinte's set the camel is obviously larger than the horses.  Now size alone adequately demonstrates power without needing to recognize any animals.

I'm reluctant to bang around the pieces just to test whether they will break, but I intend to be rough with them in the normal course of use.  I never liked playing on a marble chess set, because my fear of chipping pieces distracted me from the game.  This set feels durable; time will tell how long it holds up to my abuse.  Smiley

Expensive, yes, but the product is a treat to own after having been used to tournament chess sets and having been forced to scale down to the Z-man Arimaa set.
« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2011, 3:13pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #34 on: Feb 21st, 2011, 4:02pm »

Hey, thanks for the update Karl. I can't wait to receive mine (so Thomas, forget what I answered earlier today, I want it and I want it now Smiley What an idea to have federal holidays anyway ^^)
« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2011, 4:03pm by chessandgo » IP Logged

qswanger
Forum Guru

Email

« Reply #35 on: Feb 21st, 2011, 7:19pm »

on Feb 21st, 2011, 3:09pm, Fritzlein wrote:
My set just arrived.  I love the look and feel of the pieces!  For my full-sized hands, these pieces are a good size to grab and drop on another square without feeling like I'm a bull in a china shop.  Also they fit perfectly into my Excalibur carrying case.  Sorry, old chess pieces; you're going to have to live in a box now.  I look forward to rolling out this set at the UTD chess club.  ...

Expensive, yes, but the product is a treat to own after having been used to tournament chess sets and having been forced to scale down to the Z-man Arimaa set.

Mega-Jealous!

Will you guys be total jerks and post/upload some more pics somewhere (various positions, camera angles, etc.) to rub our noses in it a little more?   Tongue
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #36 on: Feb 21st, 2011, 8:01pm »

on Feb 21st, 2011, 7:19pm, qswanger wrote:
Will you guys be total jerks and post/upload some more pics somewhere (various positions, camera angles, etc.) to rub our noses in it a little more?   Tongue

I was tempted to be a jerk even without coaxing, but given your explicit invitation...

A chess player has some expectation seeing this...

...but the pieces coming out are a surprise.  (I owned the carrying case and game clock from my chess days; they would unfortunately jack up the set price even more.)

Can anyone solve the puzzle: Silver to move and goal in three?

Quick, guess who the bully is in this fight.

IP Logged

qswanger
Forum Guru

Email

« Reply #37 on: Feb 21st, 2011, 9:05pm »

Nice. But that carrying case doesn't look like it was constructed to hold a digital Chronos clock -- the standard-bearer for years in game timing accuracy, durability, and time control flexibility/customization. You oughtta get yourself one of those to totally pimp-out your set (unless they have been surpassed by something else that I'm not aware of).
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #38 on: Feb 21st, 2011, 9:30pm »

Heh, yeah, I would get a fancier clock if I were buying today.  I actually bought a digital clock twenty years ago, which was a mistake, because it was inferior to analog clocks of the time.  Naturally I overcompensated when buying my second clock, even though by then digital clocks had inched ahead.  And since then I simply haven't used my analog clock enough to wear it out; I suspect I won't buy a third game clock in my lifetime.
IP Logged

qswanger
Forum Guru

Email

« Reply #39 on: Feb 21st, 2011, 10:24pm »

on Feb 21st, 2011, 9:30pm, Fritzlein wrote:
I suspect I won't buy a third game clock in my lifetime.

Oh, I bet you will. Analog clocks simply can't handle anything more complicated than SD time controls. PLUS you can't ever set the two sides to be exactly the same since it requires a trusting yet fallible human eyeball to set the hands. Imagine a day where real, well-attended, face-to-face Arimaa tournaments are held that would/should require a Canadian or Japanese byo-yomi, or other such non-SD control, and you'll be there with a clock that can handle it.  

Seriously, check out http://www.chronosdealer.com/ for general info and http://www.wholesalechess.com/downloads/documents/ChronosManual.pdf for the manual to see the insane number of time controls available.

EDIT: By the way, I prefer the older, square manual press buttons to the newer, round, "easy touch" buttons. It just feels more natural and trustworthy to me.
« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2011, 10:32pm by qswanger » IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #40 on: Feb 22nd, 2011, 12:13am »

Well, you are quite right that I don't like being stuck with only sudden death time controls.  Now I'm jealous of you.  Tongue  Turnabout is fair play, but I still bet you buy a better Arimaa set before I buy a better clock, particularly if your hypothetical world of well-attended face-to-face Arimaa tournaments comes true.  Wink
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #41 on: Feb 22nd, 2011, 2:39am »

on Feb 21st, 2011, 8:01pm, Fritzlein wrote:

I absolutely cannot. What's the solution? Smiley
IP Logged

qswanger
Forum Guru

Email

« Reply #42 on: Feb 22nd, 2011, 6:35am »

Looks to me like it is Gold who has a substantial goal threat with his d-file rabbit.
IP Logged
UruramTururam
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2537

« Reply #43 on: Feb 22nd, 2011, 6:51am »

on Feb 21st, 2011, 8:01pm, Fritzlein wrote:

I don't see the solution, but I'll try something around:
Cd2n dc2e dd2s rc3s  
IP Logged

Caffa et bucella per attactionem corporum venit ad stomachum meum.
BGG Arimaa badges - get your own one!
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #44 on: Feb 22nd, 2011, 9:37am »

on Feb 22nd, 2011, 6:51am, UruramTururam wrote:

I don't see the solution, but I'll try something around:
Cd2n dc2e dd2s rc3s  

Yeah, that's what one of the few moves that seem worth investigating, but after Gold's Hb4 pushes the rabbit to b2, I don't see a goal in 2.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  6 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.