Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 8:45pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Move 10 »

Arimaa Forum
   Team Games
   2007 One vs TheMob
(Moderators: supersamu, RonWeasley)
   Move 10
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Move 10  (Read 3899 times)
99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

Re: Move 10
« Reply #15 on: Aug 8th, 2007, 4:51pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

10b Ha4n eb4w hb6w rb7w

This puts us in position to pull a rabbit very soon.  Jean can't pull our rabbit, because if he does, he will get blockaded.  I think he will go after our camel, but it looks safe enough to me.
IP Logged
mdk
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2309

« Reply #16 on: Aug 8th, 2007, 5:23pm »

I don't know how other mob members feel but I would appreciate delaying the voting for a bit in order to allow more time for analysis of the position, even if this means we end up eating into our reserve a bit.
« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2007, 6:09pm by mdk » IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #17 on: Aug 8th, 2007, 6:15pm »

I was going to start the vote in a couple of hours, but due to the late-breaking suggestion by 99of9, and an extension request by mdk, I will delay the start of voting by 24 hours.  Further extensions are possible, but only if folks are actually discussing.  In case of apathy, I will open the election whether we are ready or not.
« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2007, 7:08pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

arimaa_master
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2010

« Reply #18 on: Aug 9th, 2007, 2:16am »

on Aug 8th, 2007, 4:51pm, 99of9 wrote:
10b Ha4n eb4w hb6w rb7w

This puts us in position to pull a rabbit very soon.  Jean can't pull our rabbit, because if he does, he will get blockaded.  I think he will go after our camel, but it looks safe enough to me.

It is interesting move, but I don´t think that it is better than any pull to c4 (especially due to our decentralized elephant and exposed camel).
IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

toby_hudson  

« Reply #19 on: Aug 9th, 2007, 7:59am »

I think the c4 pulls just tread water.  What are we actually hoping to achieve?

Jean doesn't look like he's going to give us his camel.  We don't want his horse, because it becomes a threat.  What we want is a rabbit.  Which rabbit are we going to get?  I don't see any hope of getting anything other than a wing rabbit, so temporary decentralization is a necessary part of that.  There's a pretty clear path back to the center anyway.

Regarding the camel, what move in particular are people worried about?  I've tried a few and in each case I was able to get the camel safe without too much fuss.

This might be a big chance, so personally I'd value a few other contributions here (including Fritz's).
IP Logged
arimaa_master
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2010

« Reply #20 on: Aug 9th, 2007, 8:22am »

on Aug 9th, 2007, 7:59am, 99of9 wrote:
I think the c4 pulls just tread water.  What are we actually hoping to achieve?

Jean doesn't look like he's going to give us his camel.  We don't want his horse, because it becomes a threat.  What we want is a rabbit.  Which rabbit are we going to get?  I don't see any hope of getting anything other than a wing rabbit, so temporary decentralization is a necessary part of that.  There's a pretty clear path back to the center anyway.

Regarding the camel, what move in particular are people worried about?  I've tried a few and in each case I was able to get the camel safe without too much fuss.

This might be a big chance, so personally I'd value a few other contributions here (including Fritz's).

Ok, but what about: 11w Eb5e Ec5e Ed5w md6s  now only viable safe option for us is: 11b ea4e eb4e ec4e md5n

but from this perspective (we are back with our "e" centralized and no rabbit pull is on horizon) what it the purpose of "10b Ha4n eb4w hb6w rb7w"  then?
IP Logged
jdb
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #214

« Reply #21 on: Aug 9th, 2007, 8:31am »

on Aug 8th, 2007, 4:51pm, 99of9 wrote:
10b Ha4n eb4w hb6w rb7w

This move looks good to me too. Gold's ability to go after the camel is limited by his horse on a5.
IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

toby_hudson  

« Reply #22 on: Aug 9th, 2007, 4:22pm »

on Aug 9th, 2007, 8:22am, arimaa_master wrote:

Ok, but what about: 11w Eb5e Ec5e Ed5w md6s  now only viable safe option for us is: 11b ea4e eb4e ec4e md5n

We could instead play:
11b ce7s ce6s md5n ce5n
or
11b dd8s dd7s md5e me5n
or some variant.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #23 on: Aug 9th, 2007, 4:33pm »

Excellent, the one-day extension garnered a few more posts.  Would anyone like a further extension?  If someone squawks in the next few hours, I'll extend again.  Otherwise the voting shall begin.
IP Logged

99of9
Forum Guru

toby_hudson  

« Reply #24 on: Aug 9th, 2007, 4:39pm »

I'm still keen to hear your opinion Fritz.  This could be an important opportunity/mistake.
IP Logged
The_Jeh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #634

« Reply #25 on: Aug 9th, 2007, 5:48pm »

Yes, please brief us, Coordinator pro tempore. Despite the reasons you gave, I detect that you are testing our level of dependency on you. ;)
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #26 on: Aug 9th, 2007, 10:23pm »

OK, three requests for my opinion, and I will bow to popular demand.  Thank you guys; it's very flattering.

I feel 10b Ha4n eb4w hb6w rb7w is fine tactically but not best strategically.  After 11w Eb5e Ec5e md6e Ed5n, we have a horse hostage, but it is no good to us due to the position of our camel.  The fact that our elephant on a4 would be closer to a rabbit pull looks nice, but I doubt we will ever be able to afford the necessary steps given what chessandgo will be able to threaten.  In short, I would expect chessandgo to be very satisfied with the resulting position.

My top two votes are going to be for the horse pull and dog pull.  Neither is exciting, but they limit chessandgo's options and (I hope) keep a small initiative for us.  It's too bad that we don't have anything more forceful than pulling a piece that can retreat, but sometimes Arimaa is a game of patience.

This opinion isn't based on deep analysis; it's merely my $0.02 because you asked.  I hope the team doesn't feel compelled to play boring moves just because they are most comfortable to me.  Smiley

I have opened the election, and will close it at 13:00 GMT Saturday.
« Last Edit: Aug 9th, 2007, 10:50pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

mdk
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2309

« Reply #27 on: Aug 9th, 2007, 10:51pm »

Thanks Fritz for delaying the vote and i'm glad to see that people actually used the extra time to discuss the move options. sorry i havent posted earlier after being the one who requested for the delay. I personally feel that our best option is to pull the horse or the dog but i'm not sure which one i like more.
« Last Edit: Aug 9th, 2007, 10:51pm by mdk » IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #28 on: Aug 11th, 2007, 9:25am »

The Mob dips 18 hours into reserve, and pulls the horse to c4.  There were nine voters this time,  up one from last time.  Yay!

For the record
     .    .    .    .    .    .    .    .    .    .    1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7.
1. eb4e Ha4e ec4e Hb4e (pull horse to c4)    .    .     -  5  7  6  9  9  9
2. eb4e Db3n ec4e Db4e (pull dog to c4) .    .    .     3  -  6  5  8  8  8
3. Ha4n eb4w hb6w rb7w (shift west, push horse)   .     2  2  -  4  5  4  6
4. eb4e ec4e ed4w Md3n (pull camel to d4)    .    .     1  2  4  -  5  6  6
5. rb7w cc7w dd8s dd7w (shift west, dog behind trap)    0  0  3  1  -  6  6
6. rb7w cc7w md6w mc6n (shift west, camel behind trap)  0  0  4  2  2  -  5
7. hb6w rb7w cc7w md6e (shift west, camel east)   .     0  0  2  0  0  2  -

I'm glad at least a couple people ignored me and voted for 99of9's move first.   I wouldn't want undue respect given to my opinion when it's not backed by very much analysis.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.