Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2024, 2:18am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Move 1 »

Arimaa Forum
   Team Games
   2009 One vs TheMob
(Moderators: supersamu, RonWeasley)
   Move 1
« Previous topic | No topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Move 1  (Read 5035 times)
The_Jeh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #634

Move 1
« on: Nov 18th, 2008, 6:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Assuming we play gold, what setup should we employ? Be assured that Fritz is prepared to play his off-balanced setup in response to most conventional gold setups. Should we go on a limb and play off-balanced before him? For example:

R M D E H D H R
R R R C C R R R

or

R M R E H R H R
R C R D D R C R
« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2008, 7:03pm by The_Jeh » IP Logged
jdb
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #214

Re: Move 1
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18th, 2008, 7:49pm »

In the previous mob game, in the early moves, there was some discussion about the value of keeping the camel in the middle. That way if a horse attack was launched on a trap, the camel could come over to defend.

If we decide to place the camel on the wing, we need to have a plan to deal with at least two different strategic replies.  

What happens if  the opponent launched an EH attack on the opposite side of the board?  

What happens in the opponent sends his E after the camel on the edge of the board? Its a lot easier to take the camel hostage when its on the edge of the board compared to the middle.

On the other hand, its easier to launch an attack with the camel on the wing.
IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #2 on: Nov 18th, 2008, 9:06pm »

Off-balance is much riskier for gold than it is for silver, because the silver player gets a chance to start exploiting our imbalance during their setup.  For example, if we put the camel on b2, Fritz can put his elephant directly opposite on b7 (and his horses far away).

If we are playing gold, I favour a roughly symmetrical setup of some kind.
IP Logged
Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 19th, 2008, 12:07am »

I agree with 99of9.   A simple symmetrical setup is fine.  I like 4 rabbits on each row, but am also OK with the "99of9" setup.
IP Logged

UruramTururam
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2537

« Reply #4 on: Nov 19th, 2008, 1:37am »

If Fritz wants to decentralize his camel let him do so...

My idea - if in the early game the main task of the camel is avoiding opposing elephant Wink let's experiment with a setup like this:

R H C D E C H R
R R R D M R R R
IP Logged

Caffa et bucella per attactionem corporum venit ad stomachum meum.
BGG Arimaa badges - get your own one!
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #5 on: Nov 19th, 2008, 1:46am »

I agree with Adanac as well. I'm not convinced by camel on the edge as silver, so I'd certainly advise against decentralized caMel as gold Smiley

I'm fine with any kind of balanced "99of9-type" setup with any mixture of C,D or R behind traps. It seems very few other players use something like my favorite

R H C E M C H R
R R R D  R R D R

as a setup, so well Smiley

Ururam, I think the main task of the CaMel in the opening is not to avoid being taken hostage, but to prevent enemy horses from being activated. So leaving the caMel on last row leaves silver with free hands to attack with his horses, be it for e E+H attack or just to pull rabbits on the side.

Jean
IP Logged

Soter
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2381

Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 19th, 2008, 6:09am »

My 0.02 $: I like classic 99 configuration with all its variants (I have a very slight preference for putting cats behind traps ), but ideally I'd choose either Fritzlein's  "four rabbits" setup or Jean's proposal; both seem strong, versatile and fresh.
IP Logged
UruramTururam
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2537

« Reply #7 on: Nov 20th, 2008, 7:09am »

Chessandgo - that was my " Wink" after "if"...

Yet if One vs Mob games should be the base for building the theory of Arimaa - as they are very well documented ones I think we should experiment and not play the most common way from the beginning. The last proposal by Chessandgo looks promissing for example.
IP Logged

Caffa et bucella per attactionem corporum venit ad stomachum meum.
BGG Arimaa badges - get your own one!
Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 20th, 2008, 8:49am »

on Nov 20th, 2008, 7:09am, UruramTururam wrote:
Yet if One vs Mob games should be the base for building the theory of Arimaa - as they are very well documented ones I think we should experiment and not play the most common way from the beginning. The last proposal by Chessandgo looks promissing for example.

Yes, we should definitely seize the opportunity to expand our understanding of opening theory.  Since Fritzlein will likely experiment with 2 horses on one side and a decentralized camel on the other, I don't think we'll need to do anything very unorthodox in our setup.  A classical, balanced opening is probably our best bet with gold against an unbalanced silver setup.   I'll vote for Chessandgo's opening setup.  It adds a little twist to the standard position but doesn't leave any weaknesses in our position.

R H C E M C H R  
R R R D  R R D R
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #9 on: Nov 20th, 2008, 12:24pm »

on Nov 20th, 2008, 7:09am, UruramTururam wrote:
Chessandgo - that was my " Wink" after "if"...

Ok, please forgive a guy with a laborious sense of humour Smiley
IP Logged

RonWeasley
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #10 on: Nov 21st, 2008, 5:21am »

The C&G or 99 startup is fine with me.  I like M in the center as defense of the e-h and to follow up our own E-H, whichever happens first.
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #11 on: Nov 21st, 2008, 6:21am »

Oh, by the way, as far as the

R H C
R D R

setup is concerned, there is also the

D H C
R R R

setup, with the same idea of having a Dog ready to replace the Horse should it go away to attack. This latter setup prevents an a-file rabbitpull (but has the drawback of not having a rabbit ready to advance on this side, for goal threat or to unfreeze a threatened piece). I guess as Karl seems not to be pulling rabbits anymore, the first is better than the second, but if we wanted to be ready for a rabbit pulling contest, the second setup would be interesting.
IP Logged

arimaa_master
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2010

« Reply #12 on: Nov 21st, 2008, 7:05am »

I prefer 99of9 setup with one cat and one dog behind the traps.

Firstly it is rock solid and secondly we (as a Mob team) already won once with this setup Smiley)
IP Logged
woh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2128

« Reply #13 on: Nov 23rd, 2008, 1:46pm »

on Nov 21st, 2008, 7:05am, arimaa_master wrote:
I prefer 99of9 setup with one cat and one dog behind the traps.

Me too.

My standard setup as gold is
R H C E M D H R
R R R  D C R R R
IP Logged

RonWeasley
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #14 on: Nov 25th, 2008, 5:37am »

I removed Fritzlein from the voting list.

chessandgo, please send an e-mail to nbent@groupw.com so I can add you to the voting list.  This goes for anyone else who wants to vote.

I considered removing "inactive" players from the voting list so that we would stop spamming them.  I decided not to.  Maybe they would appreciate being informed about the new game and come back.  I think if anyone wants to be removed from the voting list, they could simply contact this forum.

At the end of last game, about 8 to 10 of the 22 players on the list were active voters.  I plan to begin voting on Move 1 on December 1.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | No topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.