Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 5:05am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Move 4 »

Arimaa Forum
   Team Games
   2009 One vs TheMob
(Moderators: supersamu, RonWeasley)
   Move 4
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Move 4  (Read 5802 times)
RonWeasley
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

Re: Move 4
« Reply #30 on: Jan 17th, 2009, 3:39pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Oops.  I didn't read carefully enough.  I thought Cf2w Rf1n Ha5n Ed5w was one of the previously submitted moves.  I'm not at the right place to restart the vote.  How about if people voice vote if they would pick this move first.  If we get 7, it's a slam dunk and I'll just do it then.  Otherwise, I'm inclined to restart.  We still have a lot of reserve.
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #31 on: Jan 18th, 2009, 2:58am »

on Jan 17th, 2009, 7:26am, warren wrote:

Don't you mean Ha6n?

Update: My favorite moves currently are Ha6n Ed5w Cf2w Rf1n and the variant with Hg2w instead of Rf1n. I'm guessing RW didn't conciously exclude the Rf1n move but simply failed to notice it among the sea of other proposals. Perhaps a ballot re-issue is in order?

Yes, I meant Ha5n, thanks warren. I'm dislexic and routinely confuse north and south, which is just as bad for an arimaa player as my former logic teacher who always confused true and false Smiley
« Last Edit: Jan 18th, 2009, 2:59am by chessandgo » IP Logged

warren
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2145

« Reply #32 on: Jan 18th, 2009, 9:23am »

on Jan 17th, 2009, 3:39pm, RonWeasley wrote:
Oops.  I didn't read carefully enough.  I thought Cf2w Rf1n Ha5n Ed5w was one of the previously submitted moves.  I'm not at the right place to restart the vote.  How about if people voice vote if they would pick this move first.  If we get 7, it's a slam dunk and I'll just do it then.  Otherwise, I'm inclined to restart.  We still have a lot of reserve.

I vote for that move. My current favorites are (in this order):

• Ha5n Ed5w Cf2w Rf1n
  • Ha5n Ed5w Cf2w Hg2w
  • Ha5n Ed5w Cf2w Ra2n

« Last Edit: Jan 18th, 2009, 9:24am by warren » IP Logged
RonWeasley
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

« Reply #33 on: Jan 19th, 2009, 5:34am »

I started a new vote.  Please vote by Tuesday.  Sorry about the confusion.
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #34 on: Jan 19th, 2009, 10:03am »

Ok thanks Ron. Sorry for the confusing position, we could have decided on a course which would have made move selection easier! Smiley
IP Logged

RonWeasley
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

« Reply #35 on: Jan 21st, 2009, 4:58am »

The winner in a close vote is the dark horse Cf2w Rf1n Ha5n Ed5w.  Second was the similar move that left the H on f2 instead of the R.
IP Logged
NIC1138
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #65536

« Reply #36 on: Jan 21st, 2009, 9:48am »

Since I never use this opening, and also I am not a very good player (what might even be correlated Tongue), I would love to hear more comments and analysis about how much frequent and acceptable is this cf2w rf1n movement at this moment of the match.   Huh
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #37 on: Jan 22nd, 2009, 4:29am »

You're right Nic, I think it's pretty rare to play such a move; here the situation was a bit tricky, which is why such a strange move seemed plausible. We have the advantage of playing against ehh-m with our heavy pieces well placed with respect to this ehh-m to make it up for the small loss incured by having to play such 2 steps imo.
IP Logged

NIC1138
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #65536

« Reply #38 on: Jan 23rd, 2009, 12:15pm »

But why did it win over the dog alternative? It was a close call, perhaps we didn't discuss it long enough...

The bunny is in the way of the other stones now, making it more difficult to move inside our own area. We are talking a lot about wasting moves, but any bunny forward is an irreversible move, which is much much worse than simply being "inefficient".

I'm not sure why the dog alternative could be worse, but if that is the best move we had, and if I were watching the game from the outside, I would be only able to imagine that knowingly or not Fritzlein forced us to move a bunny forward, which is quite a tactical feat for him. You told about my move idea (which I agree wasn't great) that putting that central bunny forward was saving Fritz 5 steps. Moving this bunny saved him even more, and will do even worse to us.

But let's see what happens, history will judge us. Smiley
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #39 on: Jan 24th, 2009, 3:14am »

I'm not sure what you mean by dog alternative. Do you mean Hg2w instead of Rf1n?

In any case, having a Rf2 is not as bad as having a Re2, as our Rabbit cannot be pulled forward, and almost not be pushed forward either, which is a big relief.
IP Logged

NIC1138
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #65536

« Reply #40 on: Jan 29th, 2009, 6:25am »

Sorry, I meant the second move, where a horse (and not dog) move into f2. BTW, what was the reason we have to occupy f2?  Huh
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #41 on: Jan 30th, 2009, 12:24am »

well, it's always good to be protecting a trap Smiley Our current position is a bit kinky, we are not covering either of our home traps with two pieces, hopefully nothing painful can happen until we repare this Smiley
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #42 on: Feb 1st, 2009, 8:55am »

I realized just now that after Adanac's 4g Cc2w Cb2n Md2w Hg2n, 4s e to b5 is no problem as we can play Cb3wn Ha5n Ed5w. Maybe you should have tried to work out more precisely whether 4s pulling the Re1 was a good reply to this move.

And it's also too bad that Ron's new move 4g Cc2w Cb2n Md2w Cf2w has not been discussed, it was definitely a worthy move, as silver might not have a good answer to it.
« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2009, 8:58am by chessandgo » IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.