Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 27th, 2024, 12:10am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Move 16 »

Arimaa Forum
   Team Games
   2009 One vs TheMob
(Moderators: supersamu, RonWeasley)
   Move 16
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Move 16  (Read 3934 times)
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

Re: Move 16
« Reply #15 on: Jul 17th, 2009, 1:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I agree with you Greg that dragging the cat gives silver time to establish a firmer grip around f3 and advance the whole army, but on the other hand attacking around c6 immediately with the caMel looks undoable. We would need to create some trouble around c6 before our caMel can sefely come into play there (so that silver's elephant coming back doesn't allow him to take a hostage and capture it on c6.)

Imagine we achieve the following position compared with the actual game: cb7 to b2, Dd1 to b3. Silver would be in deep trouble with the elephant tied in d3 (otherwise either the caMel would deal with the he3 or the cat would be captured on c3), we have hostages on both sides, and still attacking prospects with H+Rs around c6.  

Basically, the only way for silver to make progress after having locked f3 (which we cannot prevent) is to toy with freedom left for his elephant around c3 and c6 if possible. Having a hostage on b3 would severely restrain it.

Now I agree that having both our hometraps contested is pretty frightening, if we slip and let silver's dominating elephant get a capture Karl will wrap up the game. Going for the H+R's attack right now looks interesting as well. I don't know what to say, but not having the cb7 in the way but rather safely hostaged around c3 would be a huge help. Not sure to which extent it's really doable though. Sad

I think in any case we need to get our H to c7 if we want a serious attack around c6. The good thing with flipping the cat to b5 is that it does not lose that much time, as silver needs to blockade b7 again with at least two steps to prevent H to c7 next (actually maybe more, for instance
16g Hb6w cb7s cb6s Ha6e
16s rb8s ra8e rf7s rf6s
17g Hb6w Ha6e ra7s Ra2n
and we have forced a way for H to c7 on next move).

As you say the other way is to advance more pieces, including one to c5 and cross through c6 to play H to c7 if silver doesn't blockade the way with an extra piece on c6. One problem is that silver can control c5 with a dog, we have nothing to match that, only Cat and Rabbits for the moment.

And if we could manage the two things at the same time (dragging the cat back while threatening to get our H accross the 7th rank) that would be optimal.

So I've talked myself into liking the cat flip it seems Smiley not sure if I convinced anyone else Smiley but if in the end it's the move that blows it all by having us fall behind in the race that will not be that surprising Sad

Anyway, lots of options here, looking forward to see more discussion Smiley

Jean
IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #16 on: Jul 17th, 2009, 3:29pm »

on Jul 17th, 2009, 1:47pm, chessandgo wrote:
So I've talked myself into liking the cat flip it seems Smiley not sure if I convinced anyone else Smiley but if in the end it's the move that blows it all by having us fall behind in the race that will not be that surprising Sad

Anyway, lots of options here, looking forward to see more discussion Smiley

Jean

OK Jean, you've convinced me with the cat flip.  The best thing that I like about the cat is that it forces Karl to divert 2 steps to the northwest that you'd rather use in the southeast  Grin

I also like the fact that we now have a guaranteed path to c7 if we choose.  I don't know if that will be necessary on 17g but extra options always help!
IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #17 on: Jul 20th, 2009, 3:04am »

It's been 2 days without any replies.  I guess it's time to vote?
IP Logged

RonWeasley
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #18 on: Jul 20th, 2009, 4:23am »

I can support the cat flip too, since I'm not fond of the camel advance.  I will begin the vote today.  Simultaneously, I call for voice votes on the cat flip.  If we get 6 voice votes for, without any any against, I will abandon the vote and make the cat flip move.  This may but us some time.  Currently, I have 3 voice votes for the cat flip: mine, chessandgo's, and Adanac's.

I will not be available from Friday (24th) until the following Tuesday (27th).  I'm hoping we won't need to vote during that time.  This is a busy time for me with the movie playing in so many places and me being in so many scenes.  Sorry I can't say hi to you guys when you're watching, but I'm supposed to follow the script.
IP Logged
jdb
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #214

« Reply #19 on: Jul 20th, 2009, 5:25am »

I vote to flip the cat.
IP Logged
Soter
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2381

Email

« Reply #20 on: Jul 21st, 2009, 2:00am »

Yup, flip the cat.
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #21 on: Jul 21st, 2009, 2:52am »

on Jul 20th, 2009, 4:23am, RonWeasley wrote:

I will not be available from Friday (24th) until the following Tuesday (27th).  I'm hoping we won't need to vote during that time.  This is a busy time for me with the movie playing in so many places and me being in so many scenes.  Sorry I can't say hi to you guys when you're watching, but I'm supposed to follow the script.

Smiley
IP Logged

camelback
Forum Guru

Arimaa perl monger

« Reply #22 on: Jul 21st, 2009, 8:48am »

Count me in for flipping the cat  Smiley
IP Logged
RonWeasley
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #23 on: Jul 21st, 2009, 8:55am »

That makes 6.  The cat gets flipped.

We're not exactly sure of ourselves here.  I think we need to buy Fritzlein's book and find out what to do.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.