Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 23rd, 2024, 9:09am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Move 23 »

Arimaa Forum
   Team Games
   2009 One vs TheMob
(Moderators: supersamu, RonWeasley)
   Move 23
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Move 23  (Read 4020 times)
mdk
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2309

Move 23
« on: Oct 15th, 2009, 6:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Fritz moved 22s he4e hf4n ed4e ee4e

IP Logged
Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

Re: Move 23
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15th, 2009, 6:52pm »

on Oct 15th, 2009, 6:12pm, mdk wrote:
Fritz moved 22s he4e hf4n ed4e ee4e

The safest move is probably a camel transfer to c4:

23g Me3n Hf3w Me4w Md4w
23s dc5n dc6e cb5w Rb4n
24g Mc4w ra4s Mb4w Cc3w

Our position looks pretty solid.  It’s too bad we have that buried dog on h4, but the mobile camel in the west is great.  Karl might try to get his horse on e3, and then position four pieces on e4, f4, g4 and f5 to free up his elephant for the west side.  But that plan seems too slow to be truly effective for him.

Alternatively, I believe we can place our camel on d4 if we want.  I originally thought that Fritz could trade 2 rabbits, a cat and a dog for our camel (if we left it on d4) but then I realized that we would be able to place the dog on f4 on 27g, thus forcing the capture of the silver camel:

23g Cc3w Me3n Hf3w Me4w
23s ef4w Md4n ee4w cg4w
24g Eg3w Ef3e cf4s cf3x Re2e
24s rg5s rh5w rg4w rg5s  
25g Eg3w Ef3e rf4s rf3x Cb3w
25s hf5e rg4w Md5n ed4n
26g Eg3w Ef3e rf4s rf3x Dh4w
26s de5e df5s Md6w Mc6x ed5n
27g Eg3w Ef3e df4s df3x Dg4w

Ordinarily Fritz would be able to stall with this delaying tactic, long enough to keep the camel alive:

27s hg5w Df4s hf5s hf4w

However, I think his east side would be too weakened after this, giving us the material victory due to the dangerous gold rabbit and silver capture threat.

28g Rf2w Df3s Rh2n Rh3n

That’s a long-winded way of saying that yes we can leave the camel on d4 on 23g, giving us the option of advancing it to c7 on 24g (safely out of the silver elephant’s radius of movement).
IP Logged

Ice
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #3201

« Reply #2 on: Oct 15th, 2009, 8:48pm »

For either set of moves...  

What would happen with the following response from Frit?
23s ef4w He3e ee4s hf5s

I have trouble seeing what Silver's best response would be so my line only goes 1 step out I guess. For now I'll just try to guess what Frit's response would be.  

Out of curiosity, how often have we actually guess Frit's response? ( We didn't last time right? )  

IP Logged
Hannoskaj
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #3794

Re: Move 23Ag
« Reply #3 on: Oct 15th, 2009, 8:50pm »

Agree with the analyses above.

Two remarks on the second variation.

We may spare us the long line either by pulling the dog
23g He3 Md4 de4
Might leave more freedom to Silver in the West. I think the dog is worse-placed for Silver on e4, on the other hand.

or by blocking with dog on the second move
24g takes cat + Dg4
24s Df4 md6 Ed5
25g takes dog with horse to f4 x
unless there is a reason that I do not understand why Re2 is necessary, or something like that.

EDIT:

Quote:

23s ef4w He3e ee4s hf5s  

That's probably one of the good answers by Silver.
Notice that it's not possible after  
23g He3 Md4 de4

Anyhow, it might then be a good idea to leave the horse on f3 so as to avoid having our rabbit put to f3, that would be very bad for us (we cannot transfer it to h3 any more).
The consequence would be that our immediate threats on f3 are weak and Fritz' elephant is more free.
So that we must play conservatively in the West. If the camel is on c4, maybe simply
24g cat pulls rabbit to a3
Notice that after  
24s Ed4 De3
we have the winning
25g Mc4c3 dc5c4 de3e4 Hf3e3.

Quote:

Out of curiosity, how often have we actually guess Frit's response? ( We didn't last time right? )  

Actually we did. That was one of the possibilities, cited twice, that we did not analyse thoroughly since it's not tactical, and we look better.

« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2009, 9:24pm by Hannoskaj » IP Logged
Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 16th, 2009, 4:42am »

on Oct 15th, 2009, 8:48pm, Ice wrote:
For either set of moves...  

23s ef4w He3e ee4s hf5s

I have trouble seeing what Silver's best response would be so my line only goes 1 step out I guess. For now I'll just try to guess what Frit's response would be.  

Like Hannoskaj mentioned, we did notice Fritzlein's 22s move, but we still have to analyze each and every wacky alternative just to make sure we're not going to be surprised by some less obvious tactical move.  His 20s move was the same way.  Karl quickly played the most obvious 20s & 22s moves but we still spent days making sure there were no hidden traps in each case.

Your 23s ef4w He3e ee4s hf5s is a logical suggestion for Fritzlein and we should know how to handle it.  I think we can get away with another aggressive camel move because we'll simulataneously threaten the b6 rabbit and c5 dog, and Karl has to protect the f3 trap if his elephant is going to fight in the west:

23g Cc3w Me3n Hf3w Me4w
23s ef4w He3e ee4s hf5s
24g Md4n dc5s Md5w Cd3n
24s hf4n ee3w rb8e rc8s
25g cg4w Dh4w Hf3w cf4s

or  

24s de5s Cd4n de4w dd4s  
25g Cd5n Cd6w Cc6n rb6e rc6x

are both in our favour.  So Karl’s best move is probably a direct attack on our camel:

23g Cc3w Me3n Hf3w Me4w
23s ef4w He3e ee4s hf5s
24g Md4n dc5s Md5w Cd3n
24s ee3n Cd4s ee4w ed4n
25g Hf3w Eg3w Ef3e hf4s hf3x
25s Mc5n Mc6x ed5w ec5e cg4w
26g Dh4w cf4s cf3x Dg4w He3n

But even here we have a slight material advantage.

Maybe it’s just too dangerous for him to leave the dog exposed and his 23s should be a dog retreat instead:

23g Cc3w Me3n Hf3w Me4w
23s dc5n dc6n cb5w Rb4n  
24g Cb3w Ca3e ra4s Md4w
« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2009, 4:46am by Adanac » IP Logged

Hannoskaj
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #3794

« Reply #5 on: Oct 17th, 2009, 9:40am »

I definitely like 23g Cc3w Me3n Hf3w Me4w  

As shown in Adanac's previous post, Cc3w is an important step to open up c3.

I cannot see any tactical trick.
It's hard to predict Fritz' answer since he has so many possibilities. But I don't see anything that stops us from using our camel efficiently against cat, rabbit and dog, and/or to support rabbit advance.

Maybe something like
23s rb4e Cb5s de5w re7s
but it's very easy to find answers that look good and still do after testplay, such as  
24g dd5e Md4n dc5n Md5w
IP Logged
Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 18th, 2009, 12:36pm »

It's been awfully quiet here.  Maybe we should go to a vote soon to save our reserve time?

The move 23g Cc3w Me3n Hf3w Me4w appears to be very safe because the silver elephant cannot attempt to capture our camel without a huge loss of material for silver.  The suggested move also prevents Fritz from playing slowly on the east side as we are threatening to push the dog south on 24g.  If the dog retreats north on 23s then we should be able to win the a4 silver rabbit soon while indirectly protecting our own b4 rabbit with our camel.
« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2009, 3:50am by Adanac » IP Logged

RonWeasley
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #7 on: Oct 19th, 2009, 4:10am »

on Oct 18th, 2009, 12:36pm, Adanac wrote:
It's been awfully quiet here.  Maybe we should go to a vote soon to save our reserve time?

The move 23g Cc3w Me3n Hf3w Me4w appears to be very safe because the silver elephant cannot attempt to capture our camel without a huge loss of material for silver.  The suggested move also prevents Fritz from playing slowly on the east side as we are threatening to push the dog south on 24g.  If the dog retreats north on 23s then we should be able to win the a4 silver rabbit soon while indirectly protecting our own b4 rabbit with our camel.

I tried to find a way to ruin things, but ended up agreeing with Adanac above.  I tried to free the silver e by putting h->f4 and d->e3, but the gold H just pushes the d away.  I tried silver attacking c3 with e and d, but gold can get material and still bring the E to fortify c3 before silver can set up a goal threat.

So I begin a voice vote for 23g Cc3w Me3n Hf3w Me4w.

I count me, Hannoskaj, and Adanac.  Objections?  Three more?
IP Logged
jdb
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #214

« Reply #8 on: Oct 19th, 2009, 6:32am »

on Oct 19th, 2009, 4:10am, RonWeasley wrote:

I tried to find a way to ruin things, but ended up agreeing with Adanac above.  I tried to free the silver e by putting h->f4 and d->e3, but the gold H just pushes the d away.  I tried silver attacking c3 with e and d, but gold can get material and still bring the E to fortify c3 before silver can set up a goal threat.

+1
IP Logged
Soter
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2381

Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 19th, 2009, 10:02am »

Yep, +1
IP Logged
mdk
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2309

« Reply #10 on: Oct 20th, 2009, 12:40am »

+1 = 6
IP Logged
arimaa_master
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2010

« Reply #11 on: Oct 20th, 2009, 2:22am »

backing up it with + 1
IP Logged
RonWeasley
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #12 on: Oct 20th, 2009, 3:32am »

The move has been made.  Up to move 19 I thought gold was winning.  After move 20 I thought silver was winning.  Now I think gold is winning.  A close game, but I think we just made two good moves.  Let's hope I'm not jinxing it.
IP Logged
Ice
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #3201

« Reply #13 on: Nov 2nd, 2009, 9:07am »

I wonder if Fritz didn't expect this response. Particularly what seems to be possibly leaving the camel within reach of his elephant.

He's been fairly active on the forums and site, but hasn't moved in this game. His last few moves were also all pretty qucik, but he is taking his time here.  

One suggestion for the future that would be interesting would be to both to have each team guess what they thought the best move for the other side would have been, record it in the forum or somewhere. Then we could go back and review it after the whole game was done.
IP Logged
Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #14 on: Nov 2nd, 2009, 9:44am »

on Nov 2nd, 2009, 9:07am, Ice wrote:
I wonder if Fritz didn't expect this response. Particularly what seems to be possibly leaving the camel within reach of his elephant.

He's been fairly active on the forums and site, but hasn't moved in this game. His last few moves were also all pretty qucik, but he is taking his time here.  

One suggestion for the future that would be interesting would be to both to have each team guess what they thought the best move for the other side would have been, record it in the forum or somewhere. Then we could go back and review it after the whole game was done.

My prediction two weeks ago was the dog retreat to c7 and rabbit pull to b5 by the cat.  I was expecting Fritzlein to look at the camel capture and then abandon the idea due to the high cost of the pieces he’d lose himself.  Then maybe he’d look at the pushing the horse onto f3 with his elephant.  But then he’ll see the threat to his dog on c5 and consider retreating the dog backwards instead.

That shouldn’t have taken 13 days, so maybe he’s thinking along different lines.  But what could it be?  Is he seriously considering capturing our camel?  Or is he just thinking of the best way to free his elephant long-term?  I expect that he’ll eventually want his horse on e3 and dog on f4 but I’d be surprised if he’s using all his time on long-term plans when there are more immediate threats at hand.  If Fritzlein is spending lots of time looking at an unorthodox idea, then maybe he’s thinking of giving up his cat + camel in return for our camel.  Though he’d be down a cat, he might be looking at the long-term impact of his rabbit swarm on the east side after the removal of some “clutter”.  It seems like a dubious idea, though, and not at all what I'd expect from Karl's style of play.  So I'll continue to predict the dog retreat to c7.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.