Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 20th, 2024, 6:11am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Move 25 »

Arimaa Forum
   Team Games
   2009 One vs TheMob
(Moderators: supersamu, RonWeasley)
   Move 25
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Move 25  (Read 5801 times)
RonWeasley
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

Move 25
« on: Nov 12th, 2009, 2:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Fritzlein moves 24s Md5n ed4n hf5n hf6e

I suggest cg4s Dh4w cg3w cg3x Dg4s.

Like what Adanac was saying, Our horse is now like a camel and dogs are now like horses.  A natural place for the dog is g3 so it's not a target for the silver horse.  In the near future, we have advanced cats that we should worry about being picked off.  Silver has advanced rabbits in the east we might eat, which would make harassing the camel with our elephant easier.  In the short term, we should identify any quick tactical weaknesses (rabbit on b4, advanced cats) and solidify.  I expect rabbit exchanges are the next thing to happen.  We're up a whole cat, so I don't mind equal rabbit exchanges.
IP Logged
Ice
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #3201

Re: Move 25
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12th, 2009, 4:28pm »

I agree.  I like that move over flipping the cat with our E.
IP Logged
Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 13th, 2009, 7:07am »

on Nov 12th, 2009, 4:28pm, Ice wrote:
I agree.  I like that move over flipping the cat with our E.

Me too, our dog is better on g3 than h4.
IP Logged

Hannoskaj
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #3794

« Reply #3 on: Nov 13th, 2009, 7:27am »

At first sight, I would also take the cat with Dg3.
IP Logged
RonWeasley
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

« Reply #4 on: Nov 13th, 2009, 10:28am »

I looked at trapping the cat using an E flip.  I wanted later to pull th g5 and h5 rabbits south with the h4 Dog.  My worry is that silver would advance the g5 rabbit to g2.  This is not a serious goal threat, but it would take time to clean it up while we're fighting in the west.  I think it is a risk we don't have to take.

So I still like pushing the cat with Dog ending on g3.
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #5 on: Nov 13th, 2009, 1:05pm »

hi,

I wasn't part of the last moves discussion; I see the Mob is doing as good as ever Smiley A whole cat up and possibly a rabbit to come within a few moves, looks great.

I vote for the D to g3 capture as well.
IP Logged

RonWeasley
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

« Reply #6 on: Nov 13th, 2009, 4:05pm »

We've got some time now.  I'm going to be busy this weekend.  I'll check back on Monday at the latest to see if any other moves are being considered.  Anybody feel free to commit a move as your voice vote, but you don't have to.  On Monday, if there are six or more voice votes for a move, and no objections, I'll just make that move.  I would consider my preference for the D->g3 capture a voice vote.  Looking at the comments, if they don't change, I'll count chessandgo, Adanac, and Ice too.

If the voice votes happen before Monday, feel free to comment on subsequent strategy.
IP Logged
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #7 on: Nov 13th, 2009, 5:54pm »

Hi, I am new here, I would not be scared by the rabbit going to g2 immediately.
He should take our camel so we have time to move our horse to g3 and cat to e3.  
It seems the question reduces to ... it's better to pull h5 rabbit to g4 or h3 or just g5 rabbit to g4 and save one step or do we would like moving our elephant to the west more?

It seems to me the elephant on the west would be required in near future in which case the dog on g3 is better otherwise later the goal attack would be a threat.

I vote for Dg3 as well.
« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2009, 5:24am by Hippo » IP Logged

Jonathan2357
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #4655

« Reply #8 on: Nov 13th, 2009, 6:16pm »

I'm sort of new to this whole game in general, but I like the idea of:

25g cg4s Dh4w Ef4n Ef5w

The idea is that the this forces him to play at least:

25s Md6w Mc6x ed5n _____  _____

lest we save our camel, and the two remaining steps are insufficient to save his cat anyway.  In addition, we have a threat of pushing the c5 dog south with the E, or flipping the e6 dog south with the E (towards our H), both of which look bad for him.

(26g Ee5w dc5s Ed5w _____    OR   26g Ee5e de6s de5s Ef5w)

Of course, he can defend these threats, but it gives him something else to worry about.

I don't think we have to worry about the goal rush:

25s rh5s rh6s rh4s cg3s

as it can be refuted with:

26g Dg4s de6e Ee5n Md6n

Again, I'm still sort of new at this game, so I might be missing something, but this looks like a good move to me, because of the re-centralized E and the dog threats.  I would be interested if it actually is a good move, because that means I'm making significant progress.  I would also be interested if it's not a good move and somebody could explain to me why.

Anyway, that's my two cents.  Let me know what you experts think.
IP Logged
Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 13th, 2009, 6:58pm »

on Nov 13th, 2009, 6:16pm, Jonathan2357 wrote:
I'm sort of new to this whole game in general, but I like the idea of:

25g cg4s Dh4w Ef4n Ef5w

The idea is that the this forces him to play at least:

25s Md6w Mc6x ed5n _____  _____

lest we save our camel, and the two remaining steps are insufficient to save his cat anyway.  In addition, we have a threat of pushing the c5 dog south with the E, or flipping the e6 dog south with the E (towards our H), both of which look bad for him.

(26g Ee5w dc5s Ed5w _____    OR   26g Ee5e de6s de5s Ef5w)

Of course, he can defend these threats, but it gives him something else to worry about.

I don't think we have to worry about the goal rush:

25s rh5s rh6s rh4s cg3s

as it can be refuted with:

26g Dg4s de6e Ee5n Md6n

Again, I'm still sort of new at this game, so I might be missing something, but this looks like a good move to me, because of the re-centralized E and the dog threats.  I would be interested if it actually is a good move, because that means I'm making significant progress.  I would also be interested if it's not a good move and somebody could explain to me why.

Anyway, that's my two cents.  Let me know what you experts think.

Welcome to The Mob!  I like the creativity but this idea introduces one significant danger to our position:

If Fritzlein pushes our horse into the f3 trap on 25s then he has some major compensation for his lost camel:  (1) the elephant can immediately return north to hunt down our camel or (2) he can attack in the southeast with his rabbits and horse.  He might even do a little of both, if he ties our elephant down to a camel hostage in the northwest while using his strong horse in the southeast.

We could do a modified idea with cg4s Dh4w Re2e Ef4n but then it will just transpose into a similar position on move 26.  I'd still prefer to capture the cat now and then we can decide how to position our elephant on 26g after we see Fritzlein's final 2 steps.
IP Logged

Isaac Grosof
Forum Guru

Longtime Arimaa Fan

« Reply #10 on: Nov 13th, 2009, 7:37pm »

I vote Dg3 capture. A sure cat is better than anything long term we could cause.
IP Logged

Sorry about that one thing.
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #11 on: Nov 14th, 2009, 5:23am »

Having the cat advantage we are not so interested in sharp positions so safe Dg3 as I already mentioned.
« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2009, 5:24am by Hippo » IP Logged

mdk
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2309

« Reply #12 on: Nov 14th, 2009, 3:12pm »

I vote D -> g3 capture
IP Logged
Ice
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #3201

« Reply #13 on: Nov 14th, 2009, 5:13pm »

For the sake of breaking group thought.

How about:
25g E4fn cg4w Dh4w Re2e  ?? We can take the cat next turn with the only save being for Fritz to abandon the camel and it would be a more agressive dog move for the future.

Just thought I'd try an alternative so that we don't miss something that might not be obvious.

( my vote is still for d -> g3 )

IP Logged
mdk
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2309

« Reply #14 on: Nov 14th, 2009, 6:39pm »

on Nov 14th, 2009, 5:13pm, Ice wrote:
For the sake of breaking group thought.

How about:
25g E4fn cg4w Dh4w Re2e  ?? We can take the cat next turn with the only save being for Fritz to abandon the camel and it would be a more agressive dog move for the future.

Just thought I'd try an alternative so that we don't miss something that might not be obvious.

( my vote is still for d -> g3 )

The problem with this and other moves is that it takes extra steps to capture the cat and position our pieces around the f3 trap. This is giving at least some initiative to silver.
« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2009, 6:49pm by mdk » IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.