Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 17th, 2024, 7:31pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Move 34 »

Arimaa Forum
   Team Games
   2009 One vs TheMob
(Moderators: supersamu, RonWeasley)
   Move 34
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Move 34  (Read 4303 times)
Isaac Grosof
Forum Guru

Longtime Arimaa Fan

Re: Move 34
« Reply #15 on: Apr 13th, 2010, 8:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Vote 1
IP Logged

Sorry about that one thing.
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #16 on: Apr 14th, 2010, 12:00am »

I suppose you have analysed it well that first move leads to 'even trade'. It will improve our position so +1 for 1.
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #17 on: Apr 14th, 2010, 1:47pm »

on Apr 12th, 2010, 6:16am, RonWeasley wrote:

Maybe ...

34g he5s Ee6s Dg6n Re2e
34s dc4e he4e hf4e hg4n
35g Ee5n dd6n Ee6w Dg7n

I don't understand this one, we just have an E+R attack around c6, with a Dog which might come as back up, for a Dog hostage on g7?

on Apr 12th, 2010, 9:40am, RonWeasley wrote:

Or ...
34g Dg6n he5s Ee6s Re2e
34s dc4e he4e hf4e hg4n
35g Ee5s Db3n Rd2e Re2n

Ok, we go for the dog trade. This looks fine.

I'm voting #2 nonetheless. Strong goal attack and easy game.
« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2010, 1:48pm by chessandgo » IP Logged

RonWeasley
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #18 on: Apr 15th, 2010, 4:44am »

TheMob selects 34g he5s Ee6s Dg6n Re2e by a 5-1 vote.  (I think we all know who that one is.)

Now that the Owl Mixer is on, it's going to be harder than ever to spend time on this game.  With less than 3 days time reserve, it's going to take our firmest resolve to see this through.  Who's with me?!!
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #19 on: Apr 15th, 2010, 10:16am »

on Apr 15th, 2010, 4:44am, RonWeasley wrote:
 (I think we all know who that one is.)

Hehe Smiley

I haven't been available for much arimaa these last weeks as I switched back to poker, but I'll try to spend more time on the Mob game for the next moves.

If we can figure out silver's next move we might get the opportunity to rebuilt our timebank. So 34s dc4e he4e hf4e hg4n was the move that struck my eyes first, after which we can go after the dd4 (for example), but 34s ef5s rh6w Rd5w dd6s also looks possible. I don't see any goal prospect for us, and I'm not sure to which extent we can attack silver's center pieces as silver can try to cover f3 and c3.

This said I'm very bad at guessing Karl's moves, we usually never consider each other's move ... Undecided
« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2010, 10:22am by chessandgo » IP Logged

Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

« Reply #20 on: Apr 16th, 2010, 5:20pm »

Rather than trying to work out the tactics for the next move, is it worth evaluating the various longer term goals we should be working towards?  It seems that we often look for the best 1 turn tactical strike, but are approaching it without agreeing on the objective.  For example, on this move, I was worried about continuing the goal attack with the rabbit advance because we didn't have any heavy pieces available to follow the rabbits.  But maybe this is an unfounded fear, and a rabbit swarm would be able to get by the defenders...

Here is my take on the position...after co-commentating a few games I know that others' ideas might be very different from my own, so hopefully everyone else can comment as well...

f3:
I am very worried about f3 and rh4 - it seems like it would take only a move or two for Fritzlein to pull our horse and advance that rabbit.  Do we expect to keep Fritzlein busy enough in other areas that he doesn't have time to go after f3?  Or should we be advancing Rh2 with a spare step and then using all four steps to pull the r to g4 and put our R on h4?  Or something else?

c3:
I'd love to capture this advanced rabbit if only to free up our extra cat for more action.  It seems to be the better defended side, more pieces being better than a stronger piece in this situation.  Is the "best" approach to take 2 steps to push the rabbit sideways, Huh to fill the other side, and frame the rabbit?  Or do we need to capture or chase away the dog first?

goal attack:
I'm terrible at this, it took me 70+ moves to beat Clueless, and I could have beat Marwin 35 moves before I actually did.  So I would be happy to hear some strategies for what could be possible to force a rabbit to goal.

Any other aspect of the position we should discuss?  Are we winning?

PS:  Ron - to answer your question - I'm with you!!!!  Except in one of the "owl" games that I expect to loose...

PPS - Jean - When you said "EDIT: ah oops, 34s Rf4s ef5s ef4w he5e. Hmmm. We should have played this 34g on 33g maybe." I took this to mean that you thought it was too late to advance rabbits.  But now I see you meant that we should play it now, better late than never.  I think the rest of us should have analyzed this move more to see if the goal attack would have held up.
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #21 on: Apr 17th, 2010, 11:52am »

yeah, I just meant that we wouldn't have to think about this 34s if we had played this move earlier, silver's center horse was closer to the action after the central "undo".

We don't have to follow-up rabbits with pieces if they can't be blocked Smiley and for the moment (well before our last move) silver only has his elephant (and partially his horse) to defend on this wing, not enough to stop two Rabbits supported by the Elephant.

Now that we've gone after silver's horse, we are commited to capturing pieces in our hometraps, so I do think working out short term (capture) tactics is worth more than working out goal threats (for once ^^).

And I think the focus is on the depleted eastern wing, spending time moving the a3 Cat would be losing too much time; as you said, silver has strong goal threats on the east if his elephant gets time to attack, conversely we have strong goal threats on the east if we advance Rabbits first.

And yeah, we should be clearly winning, even though the position is still not easy.
« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2010, 11:54am by chessandgo » IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.