Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 8th, 2024, 3:28pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2015 Move 1 »

Arimaa Forum
   Team Games
   2009 One vs TheMob
(Moderators: supersamu, RonWeasley)
   2015 Move 1
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2015 Move 1  (Read 5154 times)
clyring
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6218

Re: 2Re: Mob game 1g
« Reply #30 on: Jun 30th, 2015, 6:45am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jun 29th, 2015, 6:25pm, deep_blue wrote:

What about m in the east and hh in the west? This looks better than a ehh attack vs. the 99of9 IMO. (because of the slightly misplaced H). So the only way to play for a better position is playing MH vs. m then but does this really give fast attacking chances (since getting M to g3 also costs time)?

EDIT: Btw, even browni said he was not sure if he would vote for his setup.

I anticipated and mentioned this in my post:

on Jun 29th, 2015, 7:21am, clyring wrote:
Generally with the elephant and camel a net three steps further from the preferred flank in (D) than (C) it will be much harder to apply immediate pressure on the preferred flank but easier to pursue an alternative plan in the former setup.

There are two broad categories of responses to the browni proposals that I consider interesting:
  • Variants on ehh/m with the camel as a primary defender of the eastern wing.

This situation against the h-horse setup is very similar to 99of9 vs ehh/eastern m setups. I don't think the h-horse changes too much or is misplaced: Note that g3 often remains vacant for a few moves anyway in 99of9 vs ehh/eastern m setups and that there is no horse available to quickly threaten to occupy g3. Indeed the horse might even be better placed on the h-file if we want to use it to push back or pull silver rabbits or give it up as a hostage.
IP Logged

I administer the Endless Endgame Event (EEE). Players welcome!
Algorias
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #9646

Re: 2015 Move 1
« Reply #31 on: Jun 30th, 2015, 7:05am »

Whoops, I hadn't realized the poll already went out. Well, regardless of the initial setup chosen, my general question still stands.
IP Logged
ikalyoncu
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #9215

« Reply #32 on: Jun 30th, 2015, 7:25am »

Hey mobsters, I have a couple of questions as I am quite new to this mob vs somebody type of play.

1. Is there a permanent link to this game? If so, could you please share. I assumed it will pop-up under "Live Games" section once the game has started, but I see that this is not the case.

2. Will the bot be pondering about the game all the time, or will lightvector control when/how much the bot is active?
IP Logged
clyring
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6218

« Reply #33 on: Jun 30th, 2015, 11:17am »

on Jun 30th, 2015, 5:00am, Algorias wrote:
I wonder whether we are attempting to play the best game possible against a versatile and strong opponent, or trying to exploit sharp's specific weaknesses. From the discussion here, the former seems to be the case. I think we should seriously consider the alternative, however.

Considering lightvector has reserved the right to intervene whenever and however he sees fit, I think the benefits of trying to exploit sharp's weaknesses are limited.

on Jun 30th, 2015, 7:25am, ikalyoncu wrote:
Hey mobsters, I have a couple of questions as I am quite new to this mob vs somebody type of play.

1. Is there a permanent link to this game? If so, could you please share. I assumed it will pop-up under "Live Games" section once the game has started, but I see that this is not the case.
The game will be accessible through this page until it ends, after which it will be available at this page as long as we continue to use this site.
It doesn't show up under live games because it is, in fact, not a live game, but a postal game.

on Jun 30th, 2015, 7:25am, ikalyoncu wrote:

2. Will the bot be pondering about the game all the time, or will lightvector control when/how much the bot is active?

I believe lightvector has full discretion to do anything and everything relating to this game except read the Mob forum or solicit outside help.
IP Logged

I administer the Endless Endgame Event (EEE). Players welcome!
deep_blue
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #9854

« Reply #34 on: Jun 30th, 2015, 1:34pm »

on Jun 30th, 2015, 5:00am, Algorias wrote:

In my opinion, sharp is weakest in nonstandard situations. For example, after an even camel trade, it stays strong tactically but flounders about strategically. Consider c&g game 3 of the 2015 challenge match

I strongly disagree with that idea. One game tells NOTHING, the lemmings might just occur in that special position and nowhere else. Also I became convinced now that we should beat sharp "normally" to show that one can still do that.
IP Logged
browni3141
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #7014

« Reply #35 on: Jun 30th, 2015, 8:02pm »

on Jun 30th, 2015, 1:34pm, deep_blue wrote:

Also I became convinced now that we should beat sharp "normally" to show that one can still do that.

Were my two wins not normal?

Regarding trying to use exploitative strategies, I am against it even if lightvector couldn't intervene. Bot-bashing teaches little about the game and perhaps even harms general playing ability, and I would like for this game to be instructive.

The reason I say I may not vote for my setup is because there are so many gold setups which I can't distinguish between easily. I personally don't have a strong opinion about what we should do. 99of9 with dogs behind the traps is the only suggested setup I would be unhappy with.
IP Logged

Manuel
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4020

« Reply #36 on: Jul 3rd, 2015, 1:51am »

What is currently holding up making the first move? I understand the poll has gone out 3 days ago, but there is no move made yet...
Do we get to see the outcome of the poll?
IP Logged
deep_blue
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #9854

« Reply #37 on: Jul 3rd, 2015, 8:30am »

Poll ended. Winner was 99of9 cats forward and I played that move.
Link to result:
http://civs.cs.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/results.pl?id=E_8295027e28c4f8c5

In case that one gets lost:
1. 99of9, cats forward: RHCMECHR/RRRDDRRR  
2. browni setup: HMDEDCHR/RRCRRRRR  
3. 99of9, dog forward on M side: RHDMECHR/RRRCDRRR
4. 99of9, dog forward on E side: RHCMEDHR/RRRDCRRR    
5. browni's second suggestion: RHCEMRCH/RRRDDRRR
6. 99of9, dogs forward: RHDMEDHR/RRRCCRRR    

1.-1319191617
2.5-14151414
3.16-9129
4.155-98
5.3488-11
6.36888-

Of 22 voters, 20 voted. The right to vote (those 22) had:
Algorias, arimaa_master, aurelian, browni3141, chessandgo, clyring, CraggyCornmeal, DeathCure, deep_blue, half_integer, Harren, harvestsnow, Hufflepup, ikalyoncu, Knedlik, PerkofBR, phairland, RonWeasley, Samraku, SilverMitt, Skarn, supersamu.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.