Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 5:40am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2015 Move 2 »

Arimaa Forum
   Team Games
   2009 One vs TheMob
(Moderators: supersamu, RonWeasley)
   2015 Move 2
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2015 Move 2  (Read 3829 times)
supersamu
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #7523

Re: 2015 Move 2
« Reply #15 on: Jul 13th, 2015, 11:54am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Elephant forward three times and b-file Horse forward once is a very standard and natural development. I agree that advancing the other horse or the camel is not urgent and might come back to bite us.

Elephant forward twice and b-file Horse forward twice looks unusual. I am not sure what it accomplishes relative to the other suggestion. Harvestsnow said that we threaten to place our horse on a6, but we do so already with the first suggestion. I agree with clyring that the two moves are very likely to transpose. Honestly, I tried writing about which of the first two moves I like more for about 15 minutes, but I couldn't come up with a reason to prefer one over the other.  

Elephant forward once and b-file Horse forward three times:
I couldn't find any refutation to that move, but the advancement feels a bit premature to me.
A position like this seems fine to me:
2g Ee2n Hb2n Hb3n Hb4n
2s ed7s ed6s ed5w hb7s
3g Ee3w Ed3n Ed4n Ed5n
3s ec5s Hb5e Hc5e ec4n

But sharp could also play like this:
2g Ee2n Hb2n Hb3n Hb4n
2s ed7s ed6s ed5w mg7s
3g Ee3w Ed3n Ed4n Ed5n
3s mg6s mg5s mg4s xxxx

Seems very messy.
IP Logged

clyring
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6218

« Reply #16 on: Jul 14th, 2015, 1:51am »

on Jul 13th, 2015, 11:54am, supersamu wrote:

But sharp could also play like this:
2g Ee2n Hb2n Hb3n Hb4n
2s ed7s ed6s ed5w mg7s
3g Ee3w Ed3n Ed4n Ed5n
3s mg6s mg5s mg4s xxxx

Seems very messy.

I'm not entirely convinced silver gets out of this particular line without any tactical trouble (though it is complicated), but I had related ideas in mind in my awkward feeling. Our attack seems premature here and we aren't quickly threatening to gain control around c6, allowing silver to engage in shenanigans in the east. Probably we would be forced to lose a lot of time posturing our camel defensively in the east. It's for this reason as well that I currently like keeping our elephant only on the fourth rank as a deterrent to silver eastern aggression for the next couple of moves, while we see how silver responds to something like 3g Hb4wnn De1n, although we do have to then consider how we respond to 2g Ee2nn Hb2nn 2s hb7s ed7sss as then the aforementioned 3g Hb4wnn De1n might permit 3s hh7ssss, when there are a lot of lines to consider, but in the worst case we can still transpose on 3g in response to almost any particular 2s. (And I don't think moves like 2s ed7sse hb7s are worth worrying about.)

on Jul 13th, 2015, 11:54am, supersamu wrote:
Elephant forward twice and b-file Horse forward twice looks unusual. I am not sure what it accomplishes relative to the other suggestion. Harvestsnow said that we threaten to place our horse on a6, but we do so already with the first suggestion.

I also don't view access to a6 is much different with two horse steps than with one. It takes one step fewer, so I suppose we could in principle push into an occupied a6 if there is no silver rabbit on a7 after the Hbnn, but I don't expect this line against either move and don't know if I would even want to push into a6 in response.
IP Logged

I administer the Endless Endgame Event (EEE). Players welcome!
clyring
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6218

« Reply #17 on: Jul 15th, 2015, 5:20am »

1.  2.  3.
1. Ee2nnn Hb2n      --  12  16
2. Ee2nn Hb2nn      03  --  12
3. More discussion  02  04  --
(Nonbreaking spaces ftw!)
« Last Edit: Jul 15th, 2015, 8:33am by clyring » IP Logged

I administer the Endless Endgame Event (EEE). Players welcome!
deep_blue
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #9854

« Reply #18 on: Jul 15th, 2015, 8:32am »

on Jul 15th, 2015, 5:20am, clyring wrote:
                    1.  2.  3.
1. Ee2nnn Hb2n      --  12  16
2. Ee2nn Hb2nn      03  --  12
3. More discussion  02  04  --

(Nonbreaking spaces ftw!)

Thanks for giving the details. 18/22 voted. The 22 with right to vote were:
Algorias, arimaa_master, aurelian, browni3141, chessandgo, clyring, CraggyCornmeal, DeathCure, deep_blue, half_integer, Harren, harvestsnow, Hufflepup, ikalyoncu, Knedlik, phairland, RonWeasley, Samraku, SilverMitt, Skarn, supersamu, Therin8.
In other words Therin8 joined while PerkofBR takes a break.
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #19 on: Jul 16th, 2015, 3:30am »

I've experimented over the years with attacking as early as possible in all kinds of openings. In the end though, against good play you have to take time to develop pieces and shore up home traps soon enough. Attacking too early is not the right thing to do in my experience (unfortunately), so any reasonable development step is fairly equivalent in moves 2 and 3 imo.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.