Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 9:56am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2015 Move 3 »

Arimaa Forum
   Team Games
   2009 One vs TheMob
(Moderators: supersamu, RonWeasley)
   2015 Move 3
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2015 Move 3  (Read 4012 times)
deep_blue
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #9854

2015 Move 3
« on: Jul 16th, 2015, 9:12am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

While we wait for Sharpvector to play their 2s, let's discuss what our near future plan is.
While in the other thread many people wanted to attack quickly, there just came in this:
on Jul 16th, 2015, 3:30am, chessandgo wrote:
I've experimented over the years with attacking as early as possible in all kinds of openings. In the end though, against good play you have to take time to develop pieces and shore up home traps soon enough. Attacking too early is not the right thing to do in my experience (unfortunately)...

I agree to that. It may just be my style but I don't like instant attacking out of the opening. Also against Sharp that might be sort of dangerous while I would like to keep the position relatively calm for some time first.
Quote:
...so any reasonable development step is fairly equivalent in moves 2 and 3 imo.

This clearly disagrees with early Horse -> a6 ideas or similar and again I agree.
IP Logged
browni3141
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #7014

Re: 2015 Move 3
« Reply #1 on: Jul 17th, 2015, 12:53am »

I do not believe all developing moves are close to equivalent early on. Each choice has subtle differences that can affect the opponent's optimal decisions. My preference is typically to play "big" moves first, which means our main plan of advancing a horse before general developing moves. I believe that it is very hard for horse a6 to be a bad move in the absence of a silver threat. As long we do not play such a move silver has the option of playing things like a7s a8s, trying to force us to pull a rabbit to make progress when we want h6.
Just as a simple example, suppose silver plays 2s ed7s ed6s hh7s hh6s
and gold responds with the general development 3g Hg2n Md2n De1n Rg1n (Dd1n is better, but this is just an example) Now silver plays 3s ed5s hh5s hh4s hb7s and gold is already having a problem.
If  
4g Dd1n Md3e Me3e xxxx, then
4s ed4e ed5e hh3n Rh2n, and silver has won a good rabbit pull.
If  
4g Dd1n Md3w Hb3n Hb4n, then
4s a7s a8s xxxx, and silver has achieved a better trap control racing position, although the evaluation of this depends on whether a rabbit pull is good for gold. I tend to think not.
Finally, if  
4g Hb3n Hb4n Hb5w Ha5n, trying to refute silver's idea
4s Md3s ed4s mg7s rh8s seems annoying for gold, somewhat pacifying our camel.

Whatever we do, we should consider seriously the subtle differences between different developing steps.

If that last variation is truly an annoyance, then silver has the same thing if we move horse a6 on 3g, so a more solid developing move might be in order.
« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2015, 1:01am by browni3141 » IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #2 on: Jul 17th, 2015, 4:14am »

If your 4g H->a6 transposes to 3g H->a6 lines, I don't see what's lost in not playing 3g H to a6. Also, in your variations, the "problem" for Gold is the caMel getting pushed back to d2, which is easily solved by playing Dd1n before the other less useful development steps.

I am not trying to argue that all development steps are equivalent, but rather that spending four attacking steps on one move and then four develoment steps on the next move typically results in fewer options and possibly weaker position than doing the converse. As a very general 3g philosophy.

We are also free to mix and match, if we think De1n and Rg2n are less important (obviously the latter is), we can play the two or three meaningful steps (3g Md2n Hg3n Dd1n) and play one or two western steps (Hb3n).
« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2015, 4:16am by chessandgo » IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #3 on: Jul 17th, 2015, 5:15am »

Another interesting point you are raising is where do we stand on rabit pulling? Silver's would be the Rh2 and Gold's the ra7 presumably. Silver's rabbit pulling prospects are better than ours given that his horse is one step closer (from h7 instead of b2), and his camel in the right place (while ours can usually be cut off from c3 after our Horse advances to, say, a6).

For example:
2s ed7s ed6s hh7s hh6s
3g Md2n Dd1n Hg2n Hb3n
3s hb7s hh5s hh4s ed5s
4g Hb4n Hb5w Ha5n De1n

Both sides can pull a rabbit. I am not aware that sharp evers pulls rabits from the second row, so that's not an issue there. If we use the Rh3 Rh2 defense I don't know how sharp treats these positions. Are we willing to play Rh2n Rh1n as early as on 3g to avoid the above position?

Should sharp play a blank move on 4s, say 4s mg7s rh8s ed4e Md3n, are we willing to consider pulling the ra7 with our remining two steps (after withdrawing the caMel)? Same question after different types of move 4s if this specific position has too much tactics.
« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2015, 5:17am by chessandgo » IP Logged

ikalyoncu
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #9215

« Reply #4 on: Jul 20th, 2015, 3:41am »

I prefer, in general, solid developing moves to an early horse advance to the sixth rank. The latter leads to tactically involved positions, whereas the former requires more positional understanding. Given Sharp's tactical superiority, I suggest we do simple development, at least for as early as 3g.

So, as we know by 2s that silver did not commit on the east wing, I suggest we do the same and go for something like  

3g Md2n Dd1n De1n Hb3n.
IP Logged
Hufflepup
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #9233

« Reply #5 on: Jul 20th, 2015, 1:10pm »

Quote:

3g Md2n Dd1n De1n Hb3n.

This move would give silver the option to confine our camel to the west via something like: ed4s Md3w hh7s hh6s, or ed4e Md3n Md4n ee5w. This might not be such a problem if we are aiming for an EMH attack on C6, but do we want to commit to that this early? If we did I would probably play something like Md2n Dd1n Md3w Ee5w instead.

Would we prefer to play a game with the camels on the same or opposing sides?
IP Logged
SilverMitt
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #8388

« Reply #6 on: Jul 20th, 2015, 2:58pm »

I think I'd be opposed to any move not having 4 steps north here.
IP Logged
clyring
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6218

« Reply #7 on: Jul 20th, 2015, 4:25pm »

Some loosely organized thoughts:

On general principles I'm not opposed to early advances such as Ha6 and might even object to calling such an attack, as no other pieces are committed, unless the silver elephant decentralizes itself. Having thought more about our response to quick silver aggression in the southeast, however, I view ensuring our camel's activity as a higher priority. This means waiting at least one move.

Actively moving our camel to either wing prematurely is likely a mistake. Not necessarily because either alignment is bad for us, (It would be symmetrical.) but rather because doing so loses a lot of time either way. Matching a horse on the a-file and camel on the b-file is three horizontal steps and horse on the h-file and camel on the g-file is four. The magic number in the opening is two steps, so unless you believe we already stand objectively worse, we should wait until given some enticement to choose one wing over the other.

However, this doesn't at all mean we should fear our camel being pushed to either wing, especially to the west. Doing so costs silver one step and saves us the trouble relative to moving west ourselves, making it cost us a net of only one step to match silver's alignment of mhh. Another, more likely enticement for our camel to go west would actually be the silver elephant involving itself in an attack around f3 before our elephant leaves, when the presence of both elephants on the wing where only silver's camel lies provides us some compensation for our time. Our camel being pushed east is more interesting not least because the positions where our camel is not eventually attacking in the west are much harder to evaluate.

Regarding pulling rabbits, we might want to consider this if the camels end up facing in the east or if silver preemptively advances quite far on the a-file but I think we definitely have higher priorities in Jean's sample line. After 2s ed7s ed6s hh7s hh6s 3g Md2n Dd1n Hg2n Hb3n 3s hb7s hh5s hh4s ed5s 4g Hb4n Hb5w Ha5n De1n 4s rh8s mg7s ed4e Md3n my first instinct is to play something like 5g Dd2n Md4w Mc4w Rg1n and thank silver for helping us develop. I'll have to sleep on when moves such as ra7s ra8s and Rh2n Rh1n might be good.
IP Logged

I administer the Endless Endgame Event (EEE). Players welcome!
arimaa_master
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2010

« Reply #8 on: Jul 20th, 2015, 7:13pm »

My suggestion for 3g is as follows:  
3g Cc2w Md2w De1n Ee5n

Rationale behind this move:
Cc2w Md2w - in spite of moving our camel west seems to be unnecessary it helps strengthen our west against eventual E+H attack by sharpvector (and additionally moves our camel to safer place).

De1n - it helps protect the vulnerable f3 trap

Ee5n - threatens cat capture at f6 and central rabbit pull/dog flip

That much for supporting my move.

For other proposals I don´t like advancing g2 horse much (I still fear that opposing camel) nor advancing our camel to d3 (fearing of camel flip to d5 and then to be committed at west wing attack/defense very much, though it doesn't necessary mean it is bad for us).

AM
IP Logged
ikalyoncu
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #9215

« Reply #9 on: Jul 21st, 2015, 12:53pm »

I strongly disagree about Cc2w Md2w steps, based on two grounds. First, it is a really slow plan. Moves with north steps should be prioritized over such side steps. Second, Camel would be much more active on d3 than c2 and Camel flip to d5 on 3s should not be a concern for us. If silver can afford to flip our camel to d5 after developing only a horse, then there is something wrong with this game Smiley
IP Logged
browni3141
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #7014

« Reply #10 on: Jul 21st, 2015, 10:45pm »

on Jul 20th, 2015, 7:13pm, arimaa_master wrote:
My suggestion for 3g is as follows:  
3g Cc2w Md2w De1n Ee5n

Rationale behind this move:
Cc2w Md2w - in spite of moving our camel west seems to be unnecessary it helps strengthen our west against eventual E+H attack by sharpvector (and additionally moves our camel to safer place).

De1n - it helps protect the vulnerable f3 trap

Ee5n - threatens cat capture at f6 and central rabbit pull/dog flip

That much for supporting my move.

For other proposals I don´t like advancing g2 horse much (I still fear that opposing camel) nor advancing our camel to d3 (fearing of camel flip to d5 and then to be committed at west wing attack/defense very much, though it doesn't necessary mean it is bad for us).

AM

I think that it is too early to advance our elephant to the sixth rank when we may want to play the defensive e5ee later, and the dog flip is not much of a threat. Silver can reply g7s h7sss, and our elephant feels too far from f3.

If we move our camel west, we will have to advance our Hg2 very soon due to silver's threat of an EH attack, so I think it is a very good step to play right now. I like your move better if we substitute Hg2n for Ee5n.

However, I still have one problem with this new move. I do not like the Cc2w Md2w maneuver either because we are spending two steps which might not end up being very useful (Cc2w and re-filling c2 when the camel moves, which it likely will want to do soon)
I don't think the camel flip should be a concern if we advance it now. After  

3g Md2n Dd1n De1n Hg2n
3s ed4w Md3n Md4n ec4e
4g Md5w Mc5s Hb3n Mc4s,

we have gained one free step towards our horse advance plan and I wouldn't consider our camel movement as negative. I think flipping the camel would be a small inaccuracy for silver allowing gold to equalize. We could even consider much more aggressive options like 4g Md5w Mc5w Hb3w Ee5n which could yield an edge if they work out tactically.
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #11 on: Jul 22nd, 2015, 2:27am »

I agree with clyring, Mitt, ikalyoncu and browni. So:

3g Md2n Dd1n De1n Hb3n (ikalyoncu)
3g Md2n Dd1n Hb3n Hg2n
3g Md2n Dd1n De1n Hb3n

look like the top 3 options.
IP Logged

deep_blue
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #9854

« Reply #12 on: Jul 22nd, 2015, 4:57am »

on Jul 22nd, 2015, 2:27am, chessandgo wrote:

3g Md2n Dd1n Hb3n Hg2n
3g Md2n Dd1n De1n Hb3n

Is it somehow possible option 1 = option 3? Grin
But I think I can agree to those options.
IP Logged
clyring
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6218

« Reply #13 on: Jul 22nd, 2015, 7:08am »

on Jul 22nd, 2015, 2:27am, chessandgo wrote:

3g Md2n Dd1n Hb3n Hg2n
3g Md2n Dd1n De1n Hb3n

How do we evaluate the camel push to e2 in line II? Overall I feel like our minor pieces are in the way, which I estimate is worth about one facing-camels-step to silver, but I'm moderately unsure, which is at least more than I can say about the corresponding push to d2, and would like to hear your thoughts on this possibility. (Or those of anyone else, for that matter.)
IP Logged

I administer the Endless Endgame Event (EEE). Players welcome!
Hufflepup
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #9233

===Re: 2015 Move 3
« Reply #14 on: Jul 22nd, 2015, 2:36pm »

I don't like move 2. Advancing the g2 horse  makes it more vulnerable to the camel if the elephants end up on the opposite wing, and we may end up having to retreat the horse on b4 to shore up C3 if silvers elephant pushes into d3.

Both the proposed moves appear to concede to Sharp the ability to choose the general direction of the game. Pushing the camel west means that we will probably be playing a game with the camels on opposite wings, if its pushed east we may be forced  to play a game with the camels on the same wing. Do we want to conced this choice to Sharp.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.