Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 1:40pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2015 Move 4 »

Arimaa Forum
   Team Games
   2009 One vs TheMob
(Moderators: supersamu, RonWeasley)
   2015 Move 4
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2015 Move 4  (Read 3646 times)
harvestsnow
Forum Guru

2015 Move 4
« on: Aug 5th, 2015, 11:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Sharpvector played his (its?) move:
3s hh7s dd8s mg7s rh8s

« Last Edit: Aug 5th, 2015, 11:57pm by harvestsnow » IP Logged
SilverMitt
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #8388

Re: 2015 Move 4
« Reply #1 on: Aug 6th, 2015, 3:04pm »

So, 2 moves into the game, 12 pieces are positioned symmetrically (rotationally).  The difference is in the positions of the camels, horses, and silver having a rabbit on e8 vs. a1.  This move will probably move horses and/or rabbits, with possibly a De3 step.
IP Logged
half_integer
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #8819

« Reply #2 on: Aug 6th, 2015, 6:37pm »

I agree, at first look this seems like a good time to develop the home traps, on the b, e, and g files.

Is there any merit to Ee5nw de7s x though, to induce asymmetry in the opponent?
IP Logged
deep_blue
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #9854

« Reply #3 on: Aug 7th, 2015, 7:45am »

on Aug 6th, 2015, 6:37pm, half_integer wrote:

I don't really like that idea. We should not take the slightest disadvantage to induce asymmetry. (I don't know if this is a disadvantage but I thought so) Sure, we need some asymmetry to try to win the game, but so does Sharp.
But then I am not sure what a normal move would be. I guess Hg2n and maybe trying to proceed the attack against c6!? (not that I have any idea for a concrete move...)
IP Logged
Algorias
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #9646

« Reply #4 on: Aug 7th, 2015, 8:57am »

on Aug 6th, 2015, 6:37pm, half_integer wrote:

I'm not a strong early game player, but I don't see how this could lead to a disadvantage. In response Sharp either needs to shuffle and undo its d7 dog development (e.g. cf7s de6n cf6n dd7n), or allow one of its dogs to be flipped to the center. Intuitively it seems this line might leave sharp in a somewhat cramped position and/or net us some steps.

I would love it if a more experienced player could weigh in on this line in more detail.
IP Logged
ikalyoncu
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #9215

« Reply #5 on: Aug 7th, 2015, 11:24am »

How about 4g  Hb4wnn Hg2n? The idea is that if silver takes 3 steps to to go west with its camel, then as the fourth step it can either play ra7e or hh6w. In the first case we can play 5g Ee5n Hg3nnn. In the second case we can pull a7 rabbit twice. I find both of these variations slightly good for gold and I don't see how silver can refute this plan. Please share your comments on this 4g, I would like to see your evaluation.
IP Logged
Hufflepup
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #9233

« Reply #6 on: Aug 7th, 2015, 2:51pm »

Quote:
How about 4g  Hb4wnn Hg2n? The idea is that if silver takes 3 steps to to go west with its camel, then as the fourth step it can either play ra7e or hh6w. In the first case we can play 5g Ee5n Hg3nnn. In the second case we can pull a7 rabbit twice. I find both of these variations slightly good for gold and I don't see how silver can refute this plan. Please share your comments on this 4g, I would like to see your evaluation.

It isn't obvious to me that pulling silvers rabbits would improve our position. That advanced rabbit could easily cause us problems later.  

This sort of move could easily lead to us getting into a race with opposing EMH/MH attacks if silver responded with something like ed4e ee4s hh6s hh5s. Maybe this isn't a problem if we want to get into this sort of situation - but it isn't obvious to me who would have the advantage.

Something like Md3e Me3e Mf3e X would lead to a stabler game if we thought a race would be to our disadvantage.

Alternatively Md3w Mc3w Hb4n Hb5w looks like it would lead to a slightly stronger attack in the west as our camel would be closer and silver would no longer be in a position to push it to the other wing.
IP Logged
ikalyoncu
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #9215

« Reply #7 on: Aug 7th, 2015, 6:19pm »

on Aug 7th, 2015, 2:51pm, Hufflepup wrote:

It isn't obvious to me that pulling silvers rabbits would improve our position. That advanced rabbit could easily cause us problems later.  

This sort of move could easily lead to us getting into a race with opposing EMH/MH attacks if silver responded with something like ed4e ee4s hh6s hh5s. Maybe this isn't a problem if we want to get into this sort of situation - but it isn't obvious to me who would have the advantage.

Something like Md3e Me3e Mf3e X would lead to a stabler game if we thought a race would be to our disadvantage.

Alternatively Md3w Mc3w Hb4n Hb5w looks like it would lead to a slightly stronger attack in the west as our camel would be closer and silver would no longer be in a position to push it to the other wing.

About pulling the a7 rabbit, I presumed it is good for us on the basis that west is our strong wing (at least for the time being).

The outcome of the race you mentioned isn't clear to me as well. However, I feel that, we may be concerned with either
a) silver pushing our Camel east or
b) silver making an emh attack on the east
but not both, as they are quite contradictory.

Finally, if we decide to shift our Camel to the east wing, aiming a more stable game, then at least we shouldn't put it on g3 as it hinders the development of the Horse.
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #8 on: Aug 8th, 2015, 5:10am »

ikalyoncu's 4g Hb4wnn Hg2n is the fast move. We can also take it slow, mix-and-matching development steps. Rh2n Rh1n have not been mentioned yet, I think they are legitimate candidates to prevents silver's horse from reaching h3. Hb4n alone is possible too, keeping the b-file closed for the hb6 can be tactically desirable when silver can handle our caMel in different ways. It also makes Hg2n marginally safer. De3n (in the way of the caMel though) and Hg2n have been mentioned. Rb1n and maybe Ra2n are not very sexy, but better than nothing presumably.  

At first glance I like 4g Hb4n Rh2n Rh1n Hg2n best among slow moves. Silver could play 4s ra7s ra8s to deny us a6 though. If that is a problem, we can play 4g Hb4wnn Hg2n. Silver's horse cannot move to h3 on 4s (?), so if nothing drastic happens on 4s we can play Rh2n Rh1n on 5g.
« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2015, 5:18am by chessandgo » IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #9 on: Aug 8th, 2015, 5:11am »

Like for the previous move, if we are unable to decide whether going east or west is best with the caMel, then probably both are a loss of about a step when comparing to silver pushing our caMel either way.
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #10 on: Aug 8th, 2015, 5:42am »

on Aug 7th, 2015, 8:57am, Algorias wrote:

I'm not a strong early game player, but I don't see how this could lead to a disadvantage. In response Sharp either needs to shuffle and undo its d7 dog development (e.g. cf7s de6n cf6n dd7n), or allow one of its dogs to be flipped to the center. Intuitively it seems this line might leave sharp in a somewhat cramped position and/or net us some steps.

I would love it if a more experienced player could weigh in on this line in more detail.

4g Ee5n Ee6w de7s loses 1 step for the pull and spends 2 steps to move the Elephant to d6, which is not a good square at the moment. Silver's plan is to attack down the g-file with the camel as soon as possible, and our Elephant will be needed to defend in the east. Thus moving 2 steps away from f3 should lose a total of 4 steps when we have to come back. The dd7 does not have to move away. Silver can lose only 3 steps to withdraw the de6, which is already bad for us, but since silver wants to be moving forward in the east, there are even better options for him. 5s mg5s is good enough for example. Leaving the dog on f6 too (re7s de6e for example).
IP Logged

half_integer
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #8819

« Reply #11 on: Aug 8th, 2015, 7:52pm »

on Aug 8th, 2015, 5:10am, chessandgo wrote:

At first glance I like 4g Hb4n Rh2n Rh1n Hg2n best among slow moves. Silver could play 4s ra7s ra8s to deny us a6 though. If that is a problem, we can play 4g Hb4wnn Hg2n. Silver's horse cannot move to h3 on 4s (?), so if nothing drastic happens on 4s we can play Rh2n Rh1n on 5g.

I am liking the 4g Hb4wnn Hg2n for the reasons given above.  I don't see any real danger for the western horse.  However, I do think the c3 trap looks weakly defended and worry that something like hb6ss rb8s x could put us in a race where we don't have the advantage.  Depending on how the rest of you evaluate that possibility, my next choice would be home development moves such as the first one suggested above.

I am not in favor of any rabbit pulling; sharp has shown excellent ability to turn that into an asset for its own side.  Likewise, I agree with the logic that we shouldn't move our camel; let the opponent use steps if they want to force us to choose a side.
IP Logged
SilverMitt
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #8388

« Reply #12 on: Aug 8th, 2015, 9:29pm »

In considering 4g Ha6 Hg3, I think it is important to evaluate the position after 4s Ed3:Me3 Hb4.  Though, in any case, I think I prefer just continuing the development rather than jumping to a6.
IP Logged
browni3141
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #7014

« Reply #13 on: Aug 9th, 2015, 3:57am »

I actually disagree that sharp will do well turning a pulled rabbit into an asset for itself. I think rabbit pulling is still one concept it struggles with, which would make it hard for lightvector to rely on it. I feel that the games I had the easiest time with against it were ones in which I pulled a rabbit.
However, I don't really want to rabbit pull unless it is an objectively good strategy, and that is not the case yet. I like Ha6 moves, but haven't done much thinking on it yet. I think it would likely be wrong to put it off much longer.
IP Logged

clyring
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6218

« Reply #14 on: Aug 9th, 2015, 6:20am »

Some thoughts on the specific proposals so far:

4g Ee5nw de7s z

Something like de7s loses two steps by default and I don't really even see what we seek to gain by it here. The silver dogs remain quite safe while the silver elephant remains in the center.

4g Hb4wnn Hg2n

Lots of comments on this one.
on Aug 7th, 2015, 11:24am, ikalyoncu wrote:

Silver almost certainly can't 'refute' our plan in the sense of directly punishing the horse advance, but with active silver play things will surely quickly become messy.

Although Ha6 could be used to pull rabbits, and our having the option pushes silver to play a sharper game, it is well-positioned for a future attack on c6 as well. If the silver elephant comes to e3, I expect dueling MH vs emh attacks to favor us slightly despite the one-step tempo disadvantage because the elephants are on silver's camel wing, making our job on defense easier.

If that is a problem, we can play 4g Hb4wnn Hg2n. Silver's horse cannot move to h3 on 4s (?), so if nothing drastic happens on 4s we can play Rh2n Rh1n on 5g.

I was previously thinking that something like 4g Hb4w Ha4n Ha5n Hg2n 4s hh6s hh5s hh4s dd7s 5g Md3e Me3e Hg3n Mf3e 5s ed4e ee4e Hg4n ef4e is at least not obviously unplayable for silver, but silver might have to just retreat the horse without achieving much with the time if we are less hasty about trying to punish the advance. More on this (and the rest of that post) later.

on Aug 8th, 2015, 7:52pm, half_integer wrote:

I am liking the 4g Hb4wnn Hg2n for the reasons given above.  I don't see any real danger for the western horse.  However, I do think the c3 trap looks weakly defended and worry that something like hb6ss rb8s x could put us in a race where we don't have the advantage.
on Aug 8th, 2015, 9:29pm, SilverMitt wrote:
In considering 4g Ha6 Hg3, I think it is important to evaluate the position after 4s Ed3:Me3 Hb4.  Though, in any case, I think I prefer just continuing the development rather than jumping to a6.

I looked at this kind of silver idea last move as well and my general conclusion has not changed: Our camel is much better able to involve itself in a fight breaking out on the western wing. I think we have a big advantage after either of these specific replies, and I don't see alternatives with the same aim with much promise to push me away from this 4g.

4g Hb4n Rh2n Rh1n Hg2n

We can also take it slow, mix-and-matching development steps. Rh2n Rh1n have not been mentioned yet, I think they are legitimate candidates to prevents silver's horse from reaching h3. Hb4n alone is possible too, keeping the b-file closed for the hb6 can be tactically desirable when silver can handle our caMel in different ways. It also makes Hg2n marginally safer. De3n (in the way of the caMel though) and Hg2n have been mentioned. Rb1n and maybe Ra2n are not very sexy, but better than nothing presumably.  

At first glance I like 4g Hb4n Rh2n Rh1n Hg2n best among slow moves.

I don't much fear the hb6 advancing except possibly if we decide to pull a7 or something. Otherwise I'm not sure what you mean by the benefits of keeping our horse on the b-file. Feel free to elaborate.

I like advancing rabbit steps in the west, but I think we can't know which to play yet. If our camel is pushed east, then Rb1nn is the natural, efficient defending and developing move, but if we fight with our camel in the west, I think we would rather play Ra2nn(n)(n)(n)(n) down the road.

on Aug 7th, 2015, 6:19pm, ikalyoncu wrote:
However, I feel that, we may be concerned with either
a) silver pushing our Camel east or
b) silver making an emh attack on the east
but not both, as they are quite contradictory.

Whether this is true depends on how you look at it. In any particular line, silver will play at most one of these options because pushing our camel east will more or less kill any silver attacking chances there normally. However, as long as silver retains both plans as reasonable options, we need to consider each plan and make sure that all of our steps are useful in either case.

on Aug 8th, 2015, 5:11am, chessandgo wrote:
Like for the previous move, if we are unable to decide whether going east or west is best with the caMel, then probably both are a loss of about a step when comparing to silver pushing our caMel either way.

I agree and would like to reiterate that moving our camel ourselves is a loss of at least one step in most cases until silver gives us a good enough reason to prefer one wing.
IP Logged

I administer the Endless Endgame Event (EEE). Players welcome!
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.