Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 11:21am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Knockout Tournament Idea »

Arimaa Forum
   Team Games
   2010 Arimaa World League
(Moderators: megajester, supersamu)
   Knockout Tournament Idea
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Knockout Tournament Idea  (Read 1784 times)
megajester
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

Knockout Tournament Idea
« on: May 4th, 2010, 2:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

In the League Feedback thread I had posted the following:
What does everybody think about a knockout "cup" tourney at the end of the League? During the League we're all constrained by the budget, which is a good thing for certain reasons. But how about we then have no-holds-barred, "field the best 5 players you got" Knockout Tournament, like the World Cup? The winning team would be presented with a "trophy" (name ideas people?) that would be a separate title to "League Champions". Both tournaments would then become a part of the yearly calendar, with teams having to defend their League and/or Knockout titles.

Apart from some "interesting" trophy name ideas from RonWeasleyCheesy, I didn't get much of a response. I thought that maybe if I opened a separate thread it would make more sense. My pet trophy name idea is "the Golden Tusks", but I don't know what you think...

In any case the main question really is: Do you think this is this a good idea? Even just a yes or no to this will be helpful. Thanks.
IP Logged

ocmiente
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #3996

Re: Knockout Tournament Idea
« Reply #1 on: May 4th, 2010, 3:59pm »

I think that the intent is good, but my impression is that a knockout cup is not consistent with what the world league is all about, in that the league is an attempt to get anyone and everyone involved in playing the game of Arimaa.  

The world leage wiki home page clearly states, "Who can play? Everybody!"

A knockout cup would almost certainly not include any weaker players in the games.  

Also, even though the games would be fun to watch, the teams were not set up in a fair manner - so it would probably be very easy to figure out which team would win prior to the tournament.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #2 on: May 4th, 2010, 6:02pm »

I would rather start a second season of league play than have a knockout at the end of the first season.  The league already has winners and losers, which should satisfy anyone's competitive urges.  It seems the knockout at the end is just like league play, only not as fun because not everyone gets to play.
IP Logged

Sconibulus
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4633

« Reply #3 on: May 4th, 2010, 6:08pm »

An idea occurs, keep the "knockout tournment" idea, but make it Captains only, and the Captain plays the game with his team in a special teamspeak room (or similar) giving advice and such. The time control would have to be slightly longer than a normal league game, because of discussion, maybe 2 or 3 minutes per move?

This seems to be the best of both worlds, encouraging participation while providing a "Playoff" at the end.

It also might be a dumb idea, it's quite possible I'm biased towards playoffs because of how exciting they are in hockey.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #4 on: May 4th, 2010, 6:19pm »

Ha, live consultation games would be interesting.  It's worth an experiment even though I fear it would devolve mostly into the strongest player on the team choosing moves, unlike in the Mob game where there is ample time for analysis and discussion, so that weaker players have a better shot at refuting suggestions by stronger players.

But even if the consultation idea is good, why insist on knockout?  A round-robin consultation tournament would let each team have three tries at working together.  Or maybe, since it is experimental, it could be knockout with a consolation game, which would be two games for each team, which would be plenty of games if the format didn't work well.
« Last Edit: May 4th, 2010, 6:25pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.