Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 4:00am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Second Season »

Arimaa Forum
   Team Games
   2010 Arimaa World League
(Moderators: megajester, supersamu)
   Second Season
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Second Season  (Read 7084 times)
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: Second Season
« Reply #15 on: Jul 10th, 2010, 4:39am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jul 10th, 2010, 3:15am, megajester wrote:
Also, if there's no objection, I'd like to round official ratings up or down to the nearest 100. In the last season everybody's ratings were chaging by something silly like one or two points each round, which created a LOT of work for me.

Woah, that's potentially a lot of points.  If ratings are only changing by a point or two every round, then rounding to the nearest 10 should be sufficient to avoid almost all the updates, right?
IP Logged

novacat
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #751

« Reply #16 on: Jul 17th, 2010, 11:32am »

on Jul 8th, 2010, 11:17am, megajester wrote:
Week 1 of the Sequel needs to be this Monday.

It seems to me that we are still finalizing things.  Is this correct or should I be getting a roster ready for Monday?
IP Logged

megajester
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #17 on: Jul 17th, 2010, 1:40pm »

Right! Let's get this party started!

Unfortunately we haven't had nearly enough interest for the Bot Squad. So that one's shelved for the time being.

I've redrafted the rules. I know it looks like a total revamp, but all I've actually done is made things a bit clearer (I hope) and made some implicit aspects more explicit.

The only fundamental changes are as follows:

- The LD's word is final in any dispute (see 3; 4; 8.1.5.1; and 8.1.6)
- Ratings are rounded to the nearest 10 (6.3.2)
- A captain can only overspend or underspend by 700 points in his initial roster without being penalized. Substitutions are unaffected. (6.3.3)
- A forfeit's a forfeit. (7.3)

Fasten your seatbelts people, because Week 1 starts on Monday!
« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2010, 4:02pm by megajester » IP Logged

Sconibulus
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4633

« Reply #18 on: Jul 17th, 2010, 1:47pm »

One question, what penalty is imposed if the captain doesn't fit in the appropriate range?

Imagine a situation where, say the average rating is 1800, and Europa has only three players available, rated 2600, 2000, and 1600. This admittedly unlikely scenario would make it absolutely impossible to fall within the limit, but even if the disparities were less, I'd still rather a team be able to field a trio, even if overpowered, than be forced to forfeit games, depriving the other team of a match as well.
IP Logged

megajester
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #19 on: Jul 17th, 2010, 2:01pm »

on Jul 17th, 2010, 1:47pm, Sconibulus wrote:
One question, what penalty is imposed if the captain doesn't fit in the appropriate range?

Imagine a situation where, say the average rating is 1800, and Europa has only three players available, rated 2600, 2000, and 1600. This admittedly unlikely scenario would make it absolutely impossible to fall within the limit, but even if the disparities were less, I'd still rather a team be able to field a trio, even if overpowered, than be forced to forfeit games, depriving the other team of a match as well.

In the scenario you've just given Europa would have an overspend of 800 points, just above the limit I've proposed. If we take the average last time around, which was 1920, your scenario would represent an overspend of 420, so no penalty.

Besides, it's not forbidden to field an overpowered team, you just have to pay for it. It's all there in the rules for people to read. I even posted a link. Wink
« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2010, 4:12pm by megajester » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #20 on: Jul 20th, 2010, 9:51am »

Would it be productive to clear the rosters of the four teams, re-announce the season in the game room, and have everyone re-enlist for the team of their choice?  I sense the possibility that there isn't enough enthusiasm to make a second season fly right now.  Clearing the roster would allow the Rockies to see exactly where (between three and nine) our active participation will be.

If there aren't enough participants for a four-team, six-round season, we could perhaps still play a two-team, four-round season by merging the Rockies and Atlantics into a single team (US?) and Europa and Ring of Fire into a single team (THEM?) with four or five boards per round.
IP Logged

Emaad
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #1657

« Reply #21 on: Jul 20th, 2010, 3:45pm »

on Jul 20th, 2010, 9:51am, Fritzlein wrote:
If there aren't enough participants for a four-team, six-round season, we could perhaps still play a two-team, four-round season by merging the Rockies and Atlantics into a single team (US?) and Europa and Ring of Fire into a single team (THEM?) with four or five boards per round.

I really despise that Idea we should just make people
resign up and raise awareness like on the main page
we could put an ad that says something like arimaa world league sing up now and put a linkto the sign up
IP Logged
megajester
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #22 on: Jul 21st, 2010, 2:38am »

I made a post two weeks ago in which I said people should change clubs if they wanted to, and nobody did. The Sequel has in fact already started, on Monday. You can check out the fixtures list in the wiki, I'll be calculating the budget and updating the wiki more fully later on today.

Survey results are encouraging, but like you Fritz, I too am worried at the lack of player responses in the forum. So, I'm going to pull a little stunt in another thread to see what kind of player presence we have...
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #23 on: Jul 21st, 2010, 1:32pm »

on Jul 21st, 2010, 2:38am, megajester wrote:
I made a post two weeks ago in which I said people should change clubs if they wanted to, and nobody did.

Errr, that mostly misses the point.  If everyone has lost interest and disappeared, of course nobody will change clubs.  Everyone will just remain as deadwood on the roster.  Even if someone is still around they have little incentive to change clubs unless they know some other club is short of members and more likely to field them.  Only if we re-enroll will people have an idea which club is shortest on volunteers, which is likely the strongest incentive to jump ship.

But I guess the opportunity has passed, and we'll know soon enough if the captains have trouble finding three volunteers for next week.
« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2010, 1:33pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #24 on: Jul 26th, 2010, 8:47am »

just to check, how do captains submit rosters? By sending a PM to megajester?
IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #25 on: Jul 26th, 2010, 9:14am »

on Jul 26th, 2010, 8:47am, chessandgo wrote:
just to check, how do captains submit rosters? By sending a PM to megajester?

Yes, that's I how I always do it.
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #26 on: Jul 26th, 2010, 10:46am »

Ok thanks Greg, did it on friday, but started getting second thoughts this morning Smiley
IP Logged

leo
Forum Guru

« Reply #27 on: Jul 29th, 2010, 11:31am »

Rimbit is already there:

IP Logged
rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #28 on: Jul 29th, 2010, 1:16pm »

Your drawings always bring a laugh Smiley
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #29 on: Jul 29th, 2010, 7:10pm »

Nice one, leo!  Let's get Omar to swap that in to the login page as part of your ongoing series.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.