Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 1:04pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « AWL 2011 Comments and Suggestions (Planning Stage) »

Arimaa Forum
   Team Games
   2011 Arimaa World League
(Moderators: megajester, supersamu)
   AWL 2011 Comments and Suggestions (Planning Stage)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: AWL 2011 Comments and Suggestions (Planning Stage)  (Read 20025 times)
megajester
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

Re: AWL 2011 Comments and Suggestions (Planning St
« Reply #165 on: Aug 30th, 2011, 3:13am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Aug 30th, 2011, 2:40am, Boo wrote:
After joining a team I noticed that Europe is the most numerous one. I think it might be because Atlantics and Europa correspond to a geographical region and other two (Ring of Fire and Rockies) do not. I think all teams should have the same number of members (+/- 1). Having the same number of people in a team would allow to organize matches with 4 boards, not 3.

I think the league regulations should at least say something about conditions that should be met if new team wants to join the league. (Is it geographically based or not?)

This is a milestone I've been waiting and hoping for ever since the inception of the League.  

My vision was to have something like the English Premier League, just for Arimaa. Clubs with their own character, atmosphere, history, brand, fanbase etc.

Last year we had enough trouble getting just four teams off the ground. Setting up four teams artificially was a necessary evil, and artificially encouraging team spirit has been even harder. I knew at some point we would need to encourage teams to spontaneously form, but I didn't think this moment would come around so fast.

So maybe we can all mull this over for the next season. Suggestions are welcome as always.

(PS: Fritz, are you cool with the rule change?)
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #166 on: Aug 30th, 2011, 8:03am »

on Aug 30th, 2011, 2:40am, Boo wrote:
P.S. If other teams have difficulties gathering 3 people, I can join some other team.

Yes, both Rockies and Ring of Fire almost had to take a forfeit this round due to having only two volunteers.  We would each love to have you join.

on Aug 30th, 2011, 3:13am, megajester wrote:
This is a milestone I've been waiting and hoping for ever since the inception of the League.

We are at least as close to the milestone of seeing a team curl up and die.  I think the first change to consider is to let newcomers know that some teams are overstaffed and other understaffed.

Quote:
My vision was to have something like the English Premier League, just for Arimaa.

But the Premier League is supported by a host of minor league teams.  When a top tier teams runs into difficulties, financial or otherwise, it can be dropped from the league and be replaced by one of many teams dying to have that spot.  The edge effects are handled seamlessly.  In our situation, with no reservoir of teams in a lower level, spontaneous creation and dissolution of teams would be ugly.  The chaos would not be pushed way down out of sight.

Quote:
(PS: Fritz, are you cool with the rule change?)

Yes, I am in favor of the rule change and the retroactive application to the Heyckie/Hippo substitution.
IP Logged

novacat
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #751

« Reply #167 on: Aug 30th, 2011, 6:13pm »

on Aug 30th, 2011, 8:03am, Fritzlein wrote:
 I think the first change to consider is to let newcomers know that some teams are overstaffed and other understaffed.

It would be good to have players sign back up each season, as I know in the Atlantics there are at least 4 players that haven't been in the game room for months.

on Aug 30th, 2011, 8:03am, Fritzlein wrote:
But the Premier League is supported by a host of minor league teams.  When a top tier teams runs into difficulties, financial or otherwise, it can be dropped from the league and be replaced by one of many teams dying to have that spot.  The edge effects are handled seamlessly.  In our situation, with no reservoir of teams in a lower level, spontaneous creation and dissolution of teams would be ugly.  The chaos would not be pushed way down out of sight.

Very good point.  We should have minor leagues as well! Grin

I have actually been thinking at length about the situations brought forth by both of the above and have been trying to summarize my thoughts into a good idea.  I'll let you know when I get there.
IP Logged

Boo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6466

« Reply #168 on: Aug 31st, 2011, 1:45am »

Quote:
My vision was to have something like the English Premier League, just for Arimaa.

I only said what thing rules should have described, it is a common feature of any kind of league rules. Personally, I don't think new teams will emerge soon, but it doesn't mean the rules should not have such a paragraph. Even board increase from 3 to 4 is not reasonable, if teams are struggling being full.  

It could be something like this:
New teams willing to join the league should fulfill the following conditions:
1) Inform the league director about their intention at least 72 hours before the season starts.
2) Provide a list of players containing their team. The list must have at least #number_of_boards * 2 (currently it would be 6) players listed that are not in other teams.

As of new players, I think it is a bad tendency when active players gather in one team. (Today Europa got one more new player). It could be regulated the that team captains should remove the players from the team list, if they are inactive for 6 months. And new players should be assigned to the team that has the least number of active players by tournament director. If there is a tie, the player gets assigned to the team, that is ranked lower in the tournament table.
This should make the chances for all teams to gather full squad about equal.
IP Logged

megajester
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #169 on: Aug 31st, 2011, 3:38am »

on Aug 31st, 2011, 1:45am, Boo wrote:

I only said what thing rules should have described, it is a common feature of any kind of league rules. Personally, I don't think new teams will emerge soon, but it doesn't mean the rules should not have such a paragraph. Even board increase from 3 to 4 is not reasonable, if teams are struggling being full.  

It could be something like this:
New teams willing to join the league should fulfill the following conditions:
1) Inform the league director about their intention at least 72 hours before the season starts.
2) Provide a list of players containing their team. The list must have at least #number_of_boards * 2 (currently it would be 6) players listed that are not in other teams.

As of new players, I think it is a bad tendency when active players gather in one team. (Today Europa got one more new player). It could be regulated the that team captains should remove the players from the team list, if they are inactive for 6 months. And new players should be assigned to the team that has the least number of active players by tournament director. If there is a tie, the player gets assigned to the team, that is ranked lower in the tournament table.
This should make the chances for all teams to gather full squad about equal.

I believe that regulation should be kept to an absolute minimum. In particular I believe that if you don't let players join the club they want and force them to join whatever club the management thinks is better you're going to kill whatever 'team spirit' the clubs ever had.

The reason I didn't add anything in the rules about new teams was because at the time new teams were merely a pipe-dream (and still are if Fritz's post is anything to go by), and it's all enough work as it is without writing and debating rules that are never going to be invoked.

I do agree however that in principle everybody should re-sign on every season so team membership isn't full of inactives. But the summer slump this year was SUCH a slump that I thought that if I asked people to re-sign on, only half the active players would be around at that point to notice, and so I'd have like 7 people to base my ratings budget calculation on.
IP Logged

Boo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6466

« Reply #170 on: Aug 31st, 2011, 4:54am »

Quote:
Yes, both Rockies and Ring of Fire almost had to take a forfeit this round due to having only two volunteers.  We would each love to have you join.

I would like to join to Ring of Fire then, because they have 11 members, and Rockies have 13, if no one objects. Is it possible?
IP Logged

megajester
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #171 on: Aug 31st, 2011, 5:09am »

on Aug 31st, 2011, 4:54am, Boo wrote:

I would like to join to Ring of Fire then, because they have 11 members, and Rockies have 13, if no one objects. Is it possible?

Sure. I've made the changes to the Europa and Ring of Fire threads.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #172 on: Aug 31st, 2011, 8:02am »

on Aug 31st, 2011, 3:38am, megajester wrote:
I believe that regulation should be kept to an absolute minimum [...] and so I'd have like 7 people to base my ratings budget calculation on.

Speaking of which, the regulations could be reduced in length by eliminating the budget calculation entirely and simply allocating 2000 points per player/game.  Why not keep it as simple as possible if we know it approximately works?  I fail to see how lumping in a bunch of people who probably won't play will produce a more accurate number than a guess based on what worked pretty well last season.  It like calculating the average rainfall in Dallas using data points from Houston because otherwise you don't have enough data points from Dallas!
« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2011, 8:02am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

megajester
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #173 on: Aug 31st, 2011, 8:42am »

on Aug 31st, 2011, 8:02am, Fritzlein wrote:

Speaking of which, the regulations could be reduced in length by eliminating the budget calculation entirely and simply allocating 2000 points per player/game.  Why not keep it as simple as possible if we know it approximately works?  I fail to see how lumping in a bunch of people who probably won't play will produce a more accurate number than a guess based on what worked pretty well last season.  It like calculating the average rainfall in Dallas using data points from Houston because otherwise you don't have enough data points from Dallas!

Suits me down to the ground  Smiley
IP Logged

Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #174 on: Aug 31st, 2011, 9:00am »

I hope Herve does not want to save it as a secret, but we in Europe team have roster problems as well. I was not that eager to play in the first round, but we had no player for table 1 available.  
Herve asked me to write me down even expecting the possible forfeit. I was very happy with the Monday afternoon schedule ... till the connection problems caused me being late. I don't know if there were problems for 2nd round as I was eager to play.

Yes, having odd number of teams would be odd and 2 teams is not enough. Let us hope each team would be able to fill the roster and the number of forfeits would be low.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #175 on: Aug 31st, 2011, 10:38am »

Fortunately no forfeits so far, and a number of interesting games.  I'm glad the AWL is up and running, even if it is creaking around the edges.
IP Logged

megajester
Forum Moderator
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #176 on: Aug 31st, 2011, 12:13pm »

Yeah, thank goodness. Thanks to everybody for keeping the ball rolling.  

Cool  I KNOW YOU WILL DO YOUR DUTY  Cool
IP Logged

woh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2128

« Reply #177 on: Sep 1st, 2011, 6:02am »

Especially thanks to YOU megajester for being the driving force behind the Arimaa World League.

Thank you for all the work and time you put into it so we can play our favorite game against each other.
IP Logged

mistre
Forum Guru

« Reply #178 on: Sep 1st, 2011, 1:48pm »

If not for the unfortunate timeout for Fritz, we would likely have a 4-way tie at 3-3 with no forfeits.  Seems like a pretty solid start for all 4 teams.

IP Logged

novacat
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #751

« Reply #179 on: Sep 21st, 2011, 6:20pm »

I do not see cvic on the official ratings page for round 4.  For the record, his peak whr for this round is 1680.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.