Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 5:23am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « What book is this? »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Arimaa Buzz
(Moderator: supersamu)
   What book is this?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: What book is this?  (Read 2000 times)
Hirocon
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #4359

What book is this?
« on: Oct 11th, 2010, 2:14am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This list over at BoardGameGeek lists games about which there is literature.  I added Arimaa to the list and linked Fritzlein's book.

Before adding Arimaa to the list I went to Amazon.com to see if chessandgo's book was published yet.  Searching for "Arimaa" at Amazon.com brings up, among other things, this book.  What is it?  I had never seen it before.  The Amazon.com listing makes it look like a compilation of information from Wikipedia.  Are there really 100 pages of information about Arimaa on Wikipedia? Where did this book come from?
IP Logged

rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

Re: What book is this?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11th, 2010, 3:28am »

That is quite strange. But the reference to wikipedia makes me think they're talking about the Wikibook on Arimaa:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Arimaa
IP Logged
clojure
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5004

« Reply #2 on: Oct 11th, 2010, 4:40am »

It seems people have got idea to publish featured Wikibooks as printed books.

Quote:
An Amazon.com book search on 9 June 2009 gives 1009 (6 August, gives 1,859) "books" from Alphascript Publishing.[nan 1] 1003 of the books are described as "by John McBrewster, Frederic P. Miller, and Agnes F. Vandome". They are called editors in the book listings. It seems the only content of the many books is free Wikipedia articles with no sign that these three people have contributed to them.

The articles are often poorly printed with features such as missing characters from foreign languages, and numerous images of arrows where Wikipedia had links. It appears much better to read the original articles for free at the Wikipedia website than paying a lot of money for what has been described as a scam or hoax. Advertising for the books at Amazon and elsewhere does not reveal the free source of all the content. It is only revealed inside the books which may satisfy the license requirements for republishing of Wikipedia articles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2009-08-17/New s_and_notes

In another news, Arimaa wikibook has been identified as having substantial content and quality. Congrats for writers. http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikibooks:Featured_books
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #3 on: Oct 12th, 2010, 8:25am »

If you click on any of the editors listed for the book you see that they have almost 68,000 books from Alphascript Publishing. All the books say they are based on Wikipedia content. What a fraud. I hope nobody has bought this Arimaa book. I'll contact them and also Amazon and ask them to remove it.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 12th, 2010, 11:41am »

on Oct 12th, 2010, 8:25am, omar wrote:
If you click on any of the editors listed for the book you see that they have almost 68,000 books from Alphascript Publishing. All the books say they are based on Wikipedia content. What a fraud. I hope nobody has bought this Arimaa book. I'll contact them and also Amazon and ask them to remove it.

I seriously doubt Amazon will take it down, since the editors have a legal right to sell WikiBooks content.  The real joke is the $44 price tag when my book is selling for $17.  The way to prevent people from getting suckered is to comment on the specific item saying that my book is better content for less.  Grin
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #5 on: Oct 13th, 2010, 12:51pm »

on Oct 12th, 2010, 11:41am, Fritzlein wrote:

I seriously doubt Amazon will take it down, since the editors have a legal right to sell WikiBooks content.  The real joke is the $44 price tag when my book is selling for $17.  The way to prevent people from getting suckered is to comment on the specific item saying that my book is better content for less.  Grin

Yes, I already submitted a review yesterday to this effect and I noticed today that it was posted on the site. Cool.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 13th, 2010, 3:27pm »

on Oct 13th, 2010, 12:51pm, omar wrote:
Yes, I already submitted a review yesterday to this effect and I noticed today that it was posted on the site. Cool.

Thanks, Omar!
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.