Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 23rd, 2024, 3:46pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « "Notability" nonsense »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Arimaa Buzz
(Moderator: supersamu)
   "Notability" nonsense
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: "Notability" nonsense  (Read 3707 times)
megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

"Notability" nonsense
« on: Mar 19th, 2011, 8:30am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

As of February 2011 the Arimaa entry on Wikipedia sports the following notice:

"The topic of this article may not meet the general notability guideline. Please help to establish notability by adding reliable, secondary sources about the topic. If notability cannot be established, the article is likely to be merged, redirected, or deleted."

What on earth?? Who did this?!

EDIT: It turns out that anyone with a Wikipedia login can go into history and undo it. Apparently it was the work of a mindless bot. Maybe it was partly due to not having any references.
« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2011, 8:38am by megajester » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: "Notability" nonsense
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19th, 2011, 8:04pm »

Yes, the notability tag is a new name for the lack of references.  Arimaa clearly has enough general interest to qualify for an article, and there are enough sources to site to prove that Arimaa has notability.  I find it faintly ridiculous that truth is no defense on Wikipedia.  I find it utterly ludicrous that if I write something about Arimaa on Wikipedia it is "original research" and therefore deletable, but if I write it in Beginning Arimaa, which is self-published and vetted by no-one, I suddenly become credible, and my words can be quoted entirely within bounds of Wikipedia policy.

Oh, well.  If you want to be on Wikipedia, you have to play by Wikipedia rules.  Ultimately it is this simple: we add more citations to the Arimaa article, or else Wikipedia janitors will eventually delete it.
IP Logged

rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #2 on: Mar 20th, 2011, 6:06am »

Didn't Arimaa win a few awards and references from some mainstream media? That should do the trick...
IP Logged
robinz
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #6110

« Reply #3 on: Mar 20th, 2011, 7:27am »

I don't know of any references to Arimaa in mainstream media, although it would be cool if there had been any. But I just googled "arimaa" and was pleasantly surprised to see the wide range of references that came up, including general boardgame sites, personal webpages, discussion forums (some totally unconncected to board games) and also commercial pages (there are Arimaa apps for iphone, apparently). So it's clear to me that Arimaa is at least as notable as many of the other modern boardgames that have their own pages on wikipedia (to say nothing of the thousands of pages covering utter trivia about minor aspects of popular culture), mostly without any kind of warning about "non-notability". I don't know if any arguments have been raised on the talk page about the notability of Arimaa, but if they are, there appears to be no shortage of material out there to prove these people wrong  Smiley
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #4 on: Mar 23rd, 2011, 10:02pm »

I thought the Footnotes section is where the reference citations in the article appeared. Maybe the bot just checks the References section only. I copied the first footnote to the reference section. Also added the Beginning Arimaa book to the reference section.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 24th, 2011, 12:45am »

Now would be a good time to watch the Wikipedia Arimaa article.  There is a specific Wikipedia editor, namely Mschribr, who does not believe that Arimaa is more computer-resistant than chess.  A year ago, he loudly made his case with bogus arguments, but lost interest and moved on after a while.  Now after a year of hiatus, he is back, making even more tenuous arguments than before. He is not afraid to edit.

Thus we need two things; long-term we need to add references to make the article more respectable, and short-term we need to defend against vandalism.
IP Logged

UruramTururam
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2537

« Reply #6 on: Mar 24th, 2011, 2:06am »

Bah! There are scientific articles in the arimaa.com repository. Link them...
IP Logged

Caffa et bucella per attactionem corporum venit ad stomachum meum.
BGG Arimaa badges - get your own one!
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #7 on: Mar 28th, 2011, 3:02pm »

on Mar 24th, 2011, 2:06am, UruramTururam wrote:
Bah! There are scientific articles in the arimaa.com repository. Link them...

Yes there are a number of technical papers that have been written. I've compiled them here:
  http://arimaa.com/arimaa/papers/

Anyone have any thoughts as to where best to link them; maybe we can link them under References also?
« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2011, 3:03pm by omar » IP Logged
trojo
Forum Newbie

Arimaa player #6296

« Reply #8 on: Apr 17th, 2011, 12:07am »

on Mar 19th, 2011, 8:30am, megajester wrote:
Apparently it was the work of a mindless bot. Maybe it was partly due to not having any references.

Or maybe the Wikipedia bots are rising up and taking revenge for the years of abuse their Arimaa-bot brothers have endured at the hands of humans...
IP Logged
FireBorn
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1832

« Reply #9 on: Jun 14th, 2011, 5:24pm »

on Mar 19th, 2011, 8:04pm, Fritzlein wrote:
I find it utterly ludicrous that if I write something about Arimaa on Wikipedia it is "original research" and therefore deletable, but if I write it in Beginning Arimaa, which is self-published and vetted by no-one, I suddenly become credible, and my words can be quoted entirely within bounds of Wikipedia policy.

It makes sense. Now that your words are out there in book form it's in the public/cultural sphere, making it cite-able (verifiable). Wikipedia doesn't care about finding the truth; it only cares about presenting facts, including what other people have said is the truth. Wikipedia is an encyclopedia, not a forum or an academic journal.
« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2011, 5:26pm by FireBorn » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.