Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 9:59pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Reuploading Arimaa WC videos to YouTube »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Arimaa Buzz
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Reuploading Arimaa WC videos to YouTube
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Reuploading Arimaa WC videos to YouTube  (Read 2304 times)
Migi
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #4643

Reuploading Arimaa WC videos to YouTube
« on: Aug 24th, 2011, 4:07pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hey everyone.

In this thread about the 2012 WC, Fritzlein said that while the live commentary is really awesome for the Arimaa community, it's not that great for bringing in new players because they don't really know all that's going on, and I disagreed. To summarize the discussion, I think even the newest beginner can follow along with the commentary because commentary is mostly about strategy, and less about deep tactics. And strategy concepts are very easy to pick up. I even think someone that hasn't heard of Arimaa could learn most of the rules of the game by watching an Arimaa WC with commentary for a few minutes (it would be a fun experiment to test this Wink).

And while I was writing that post, I realized that it would be great if someone were to upload the video archive of past WC's (or at least the later rounds) to YouTube. Because they might start showing up as "related videos" next to chess videos, which could bring in new players. So, I volunteer to do this. But there are a few questions that still need to be answered, and I figured they probably belong in their own thread. So here they are:

1. Can/should I do this? Worst case scenario is that I just waste some of my time, but I'm ok with that. But more importantly: I don't know anything about copyright law but I'm fairly sure I have to ask permission to whoever made these videos.

2. Any way to avoid the 15 minute limit? YouTube videos can at most be 15 minutes and 30 seconds long. I have software that can split videos into parts, that's not the problem, but most of the videos will be 7 or 8 parts, which can be annoying to the viewer. However, a lot of accounts get permission by YouTube to upload videos of any length. Maybe someone here has such an account that we could use or knows how to get one?

3. What should be the channel's name? "arimaa" is taken. An obvious choice would be "arimaavideos", which is still available, but if someone knows a funnier, cleverer or otherwise better name we could use that.

4. Include the pre-game talk? The commentary usually starts a few minutes before the game starts. Sometimes 1 minute, sometimes 10. So should I cut out this part or not? Mostly they talk about the past times these players have met, strategies they often use, etc. which is useful and can hype up the game a bit. But they also talk about the future of the tournament, future matchups, the game that was played just before this one, thanking the sponsors (see question 6), etc. which is less useful. Finally, it's not always easy to find a good point to let the video start once the introductory talk is over.

5. Include the post-game discussion with the players? I think we should. Though a lot of these have audio issues, it's very interesting to know what the players think of the game. Uninterested viewers can always click away (which isn't possible with the pre-game talk. Unless I upload them as a separate video or something).

6. Include the "thanks to our sponsors" talk? The thank you to the sponsors are often the last words of the video, but it can go on for a minute or two. An alternative would be to include this in the video's description, with clickable links.

7. Upload videos even if they have severe technical issues? In many videos there's a strange echo which keeps repeating and grows very loud very quickly, which usually lasts about a minutes. Also, sometimes the commentary is hard to understand due to bad audio quality. Do I upload them anyway?
« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2011, 9:38am by Migi » IP Logged
rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

Re: Reuploading Arimaa WC videos to YouTube
« Reply #1 on: Aug 24th, 2011, 4:22pm »

5. Yes. If someone cared enough to listen to the whole video, surely they won't have a problem with the post-game commentary, and maybe they even really want to hear it...
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #2 on: Jan 12th, 2012, 9:13am »

I missed this thread. Is this idea in stand-by?

1. I'm pretty sure everyone will agree, you don't even need to ask!
4. and 5. and 6. I'd say keep'em
7. Maybe not, there should be plenty of material to not put bad quality recordings?
IP Logged

Migi
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #4643

« Reply #3 on: Jan 12th, 2012, 9:33am »

Oh, you're right. I forgot about this idea a little bit. I made the channel (http://www.youtube.com/arimaavideos) and uploaded the final game of the WC to it. After that I wasn't sure which games to upload. It's a bit hard to see which games are interesting without watching them first, and that takes some time.

But recently I watched Fritzlein vs Tuks in round 11, with commentary by chessandgo and Adanac, and that was quite an epic game. I'm definitely going to upload that one. Does anyone remember any other exciting games that I can upload?

Or maybe I should just upload everything?
IP Logged
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

« Reply #4 on: Jan 12th, 2012, 1:23pm »

Good idea and I agree that low quality video/audio should not be copied.
I expect you will link the split vidoes to simplify looking for the whole games.
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.