Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 1:18pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Time Controls? »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Bot Development
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Time Controls?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Time Controls?  (Read 1462 times)
maker
Forum Full Member

bot_tod's maker

Time Controls?
« on: Nov 7th, 2004, 11:07pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Does anyone know what this two sentances mean?:  Thus, when playing these qualifying games the program should be allowed to make full use of the time as it would in a real tournament game. Games played at this time control but with the program intentionally set to not make full use of the time will not count towards the qualifying games.  
(from http://arimaa.com/arimaa/wcc/2005/rules.html)

Does this mean that we can not have time controls that stop our bots from sending back a 'best move' that they have generated but were still checking to see if it was indeed the best move?  What if the idea behind the bot is to generate the best move found so far and to go as deep as possible?  Are we supposed to statically delcare how deep we wish the bot to go?  How can you statically do this and get the bot to perform well?  Anyway, if the idea is that we can't just change the bot between games considered for the selection and the matches, why not just say that?  Sorry for the slew of questions, but I was planning on regulating my bot based not on the quality of the move so much, but on the quality of the entire subtree generated from several 'good' moves.  Thank you for your patience.

maker

Grin
« Last Edit: Nov 7th, 2004, 11:08pm by maker » IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

Re: Time Controls?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 8th, 2004, 3:49am »

What you were planning is fine.

That clause is just designed to prevent "miniature versions" of the bots being used to qualify.  Ones that hardly use any of their time to think about moves.   They are supposed to show their full strength whilst qualifying.
IP Logged
fotland
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #211

« Reply #2 on: Nov 8th, 2004, 10:14am »

bot_bomb is set to use slightly less than full time, so it can accumulate some reserve time.  It will typically use between 90 and 120 seconds per move, but will sometimes go over 120 or less than 90.

When there is a forced goal, it returns it immediately, so at the end it will play very quickly.

I assume this is ok.  Bomb will use the same time control settings in the tournament.  Between then and now I might improve it to use reserve better in complex positions.
IP Logged
maker
Forum Full Member

bot_tod's maker

« Reply #3 on: Nov 8th, 2004, 1:33pm »

so it'd be ok if I just told it to not run over time?

maker
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #4 on: Nov 14th, 2004, 10:27pm »

on Nov 8th, 2004, 1:33pm, maker wrote:
so it'd be ok if I just told it to not run over time?

maker

Yes, that would be fine.

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.