Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2024, 8:33am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Technical issues about self-modifying bots »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Bot Development
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Technical issues about self-modifying bots
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Technical issues about self-modifying bots  (Read 3745 times)
99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

Re: Technical issues about self-modifying bots
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24th, 2006, 10:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Ryan the objective of these books so far is a far less worthy aim than you are describing.  Gnobby's aim is direct plagiarism from winning play of identical positions.  Bomb's aim seems to be to drag it toward previous winning lines, and away from previous losing lines (especially those it played itself).

I have a question for you.  When you were a 1600 rated player, would you have been willing to spend 0.5 seconds of your thinking time to find out whether a top rated player had ever played that exact position, and if so, be told what they had played?  Surely!

Of course you are right that sometimes that exact position came up with a cat switched for a dog.  You will not be alerted to that fact.  But the identicals are still useful in themselves (if only for the first 3-5 moves of a game).
IP Logged
Ryan_Cable
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #951

« Reply #16 on: Jan 24th, 2006, 11:19pm »

on Jan 24th, 2006, 10:30pm, 99of9 wrote:
I have a question for you.  When you were a 1600 rated player, would you have been willing to spend 0.5 seconds of your thinking time to find out whether a top rated player had ever played that exact position, and if so, be told what they had played?  Surely!

Absolutely, I would love to be able to do that right now! Grin
IP Logged
fotland
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #211

« Reply #17 on: Jan 24th, 2006, 11:36pm »

Bomb has had the book at least since 2005, and probably since 2004.  I used the same code in my chess program and go program.  Bomb just records its own games, since the game database wasn't public at that time.  The go and chess programs also include many strong games.

The main purpose is to prevent it from losing the same way twice with the same move sequence.  This is important for tournaments where it might play the same program multiple times, or play a program that trained against it.  It also makes it more interesting for human opponents, who tend to repeat winning openings.
IP Logged
Ryan_Cable
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #951

« Reply #18 on: Jan 25th, 2006, 1:13am »

on Jan 24th, 2006, 11:36pm, fotland wrote:
The main purpose is to prevent it from losing the same way twice with the same move sequence.  This is important for tournaments where it might play the same program multiple times, or play a program that trained against it.  It also makes it more interesting for human opponents, who tend to repeat winning openings.

Yes, I think this is a very good idea.  Especially, if it allows you to remove or at least reduce the opening randomization.  And reducing the randomness feeds back helping the book find more matches.

However, I was able to bash bot_Bomb2005Fast, bot_Bomb2005Blitz, bot_Bomb2005CC, etc. using the same Bait and Tackle opening ~50 times, with the first 9 or 10 moves being identical on my part.  Also, Gnobby was able to copy a couple games identically against one of the Bomb variants, so I think the book must be turned off or broken for these bots.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.