Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 6:21am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Event Horizon »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Bot Development
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Event Horizon
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Event Horizon  (Read 1269 times)
IdahoEv
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1753

Event Horizon
« on: Feb 22nd, 2006, 6:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

For a particularly amusing example of a bot pushing the danger over the event horizon, see game 33161, 24b-28w.

I enjoyed toying with arimaazilla that game.    

Also, just as I set up for the final humiliation around turn 70, 'zilla committed suicide with its last piece!
IP Logged
Ryan_Cable
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #951

Re: Event Horizon
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23rd, 2006, 1:17am »

I think you are referring to http://arimaa.com/arimaa/gameroom/comments.cgi?gid=24840  The ID number of the game changes when it is entered into the database.  I think this is due to games that are started but not played incrementing the ID number of the active games beyond the number of finished games.

I’m not sure if you noticed, but you could have goaled on 29w.  I think 24b through 28b are actually perfect play.  However, there is a known problem of bots lemminging pieces due to the horizon effect.  Check out http://arimaa.com/arimaa/gameroom/comments.cgi?gid=14283 for a dramatic example of this (as well as a method of getting a cheap win against Arimaazilla).
IP Logged
IdahoEv
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1753

« Reply #2 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 12:47am »

Thanks for the tip on the game #.

I don't know for certain if I saw the goal on 29w, but but goal with that game was definitely not to goal as quickly as possible.   This is pretty clear if you watch the rest of the game.
IP Logged
Ryan_Cable
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #951

« Reply #3 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 2:17am »

Sure, I noticed that, but 'zilla didn't ever figure it out. Wink  Bots always expect you to take a win if you have it.  They don't comprehend that someone could get enjoyment out of anything other than winning ASAP. Smiley
IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #4 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 2:50am »

on Feb 25th, 2006, 2:17am, Ryan_Cable wrote:
Bots always expect you to take a win if you have it.  They don't comprehend that someone could get enjoyment out of anything other than winning ASAP. Smiley

That's because the rules in most tournaments only care about the wins and losses, and occasionally the number of moves.  The only reason they might act otherwise is to try to psych you out, and pretend that you don't have a goal shot.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.