Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 12:11pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Rat »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Bot Development
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Rat
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Rat  (Read 1436 times)
BlackKnight
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #695

Rat
« on: Jul 29th, 2008, 9:59am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Fritzlein suggested I should start a forum topic about my new bot Rat. So here a short introduction.

Rat uses selective search. Current move categories are goals, captures, retreats, kidnappings, attacks, and some trap protections. So there should be many more to come.
The search is guided to some extend by certain patterns in the position. However, so far I have only defined about 20 patterns.
Rat has nearly no leaf evaluation at this moment. I just added recursion and Rat should now be able to see an opponent's goal in one and she can see if she is going to lose a piece.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: Rat
« Reply #1 on: Jul 29th, 2008, 10:06am »

Thanks BlackKnight!  What is the branching factor of the tree you are building at the moment?  Obviously it depends on the position, but I was curious whether you are examining closer to 1% of the legal moves, or 10%.  In other words, how selective is your selective search?
IP Logged

BlackKnight
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #695

« Reply #2 on: Jul 29th, 2008, 9:45pm »

on Jul 29th, 2008, 10:06am, Fritzlein wrote:
how selective is your selective search?

Maybe I can provide some numbers of moves generated in recent examples using the current move categories. Moves can be anything between 1-step and 4-step. Rat runs as a P2 bot at the moment.
In game 80743, move 15b:
Ply     1:    98 moves  
Ply     2:   298 moves  
before Rat was convinced there is no way to save the horse or get some material in exchange for it.
In game 80707, move 18w:
Ply     1:   336 moves  
Ply     2:  2051 moves  
to go through the whole tree.

I should mention that Rat currently does not know how to protect/attack the opponent's home traps or how to help a frozen piece., i.e., these moves are not in my list of categories yet.

For future games I will collect those data while she is playing.
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2008, 11:34pm by BlackKnight » IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 30th, 2008, 4:05am »

Wow, that is very selective, particularly for the opponent's response.  Thanks for the numbers.  
IP Logged

BlackKnight
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #695

« Reply #4 on: Jul 30th, 2008, 10:06am »

Yes, I'm sure I will need to extend that. BotV also was too selective, and even worse he couldn't even generate all moves that belonged to a certain category.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #5 on: Jul 30th, 2008, 1:32pm »

Hope you will be able to enter it in next CC. Even if it does not do very well, the approach may still be worth pursuing. Eventually it may prevail. After all humans are also doing extremely selective search Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.