Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 3:15am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « OS on the server »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Bot Development
(Moderator: supersamu)
   OS on the server
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: OS on the server  (Read 942 times)
tize
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #3121

OS on the server
« on: Jun 17th, 2009, 11:02am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I made some benchmarking at my computer today.

The test was to see how much Marwin would gain if I started using the 64bit version of Ubuntu. From Marwin's perspective it would definetly be a big gain, on the positions that I tested he was 86%-112% faster (after a recompile) than the 32bit version. The 32bit version of Marwin was unaffected by the change of OS.

The question I have now is: Does the server run 32bit or 64bit versions of CentOS?
IP Logged
doublep
Forum Guru

Badger author

Re: OS on the server
« Reply #1 on: Jun 17th, 2009, 12:11pm »

I run 32-bit Debian and I don't know how to cross-compile programs to 64-bit architecture.  Though Badger would probably gain a lot too, as it uses full-board bitmaps all the time.
IP Logged
jdb
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #214

« Reply #2 on: Jun 17th, 2009, 12:56pm »

Clueless gets roughly the same speedup going from 32bit to 64 bit.

This year's tournament was run on a 32 bit OS. Hopefully next year's will be on a 64 bit OS.

IP Logged
tize
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #3121

« Reply #3 on: Jun 18th, 2009, 2:28am »

Quote:
I run 32-bit Debian and I don't know how to cross-compile programs to 64-bit architecture.

The nice thing is that you don't have to. Because all programs that is compiled as 32-bit programs will run just as good in a 64-bit OS, at least that's what I've heard and it worked for Marwin.

But the programs that get compiled for the 64-bit arch will gain by being able to use the hardware to the fullest, at least bit-board-bots. And you could recompile the bot at the server if Omar has the compiler for your language.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.