Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 9:32am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Speedy/bomb weaknesses »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Bot Development
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Speedy/bomb weaknesses
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Speedy/bomb weaknesses  (Read 999 times)
fotland
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #211

Speedy/bomb weaknesses
« on: Mar 2nd, 2004, 11:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

It looks like speedy often wants to put its horse on the enemy trap and have it stuck there.  This must be a bug in the evaluation.  Do you agree that it seems to seek out that position?  I've seen it in several games.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

Re: Speedy/bomb weaknesses
« Reply #1 on: Mar 4th, 2004, 9:03pm »

Im not sure that it seeks out such positions, because if it gets a chance it will try to frame the opponents pieces on a trap square as well. So it seems to know that's getting framed is not a good thing.

Omar
IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #2 on: Mar 5th, 2004, 6:49pm »

I agree that speedy almost seems to allow you to frame minor pieces.

I also think speedy is too cavalier with its elephant - twice now I have jammed it into positions it could never get out of.  This doesn't just lose a piece, it loses the whole game, so is very important to avoid.

Finally I think speedy is too willing to move rabbits off the backline.  One of the commonest ways to beat speedy is to get the elephant stuck defending a framed piece, then wait for speedy's rabbits to come and get killed.  In this circumstance speedy should keep its rabbits back and activate the camel instead.  (or flood the elephants with rabbits to trap them both... but that's a whole different story).
IP Logged
fotland
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #211

« Reply #3 on: Mar 6th, 2004, 12:44am »

When a piece is framed, it looks at the strength of the pieces doing the framing, so the value could be positive or negative.  If elephant, camel, and horse are framing a horse with an elephant defending, the framer is using a camel to do the frame, so this is bad for the framer.  But now I think this is not right, since after the frame, the framing pieces can be exchanged for better ones.
IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #4 on: Mar 25th, 2004, 7:42am »

on Mar 5th, 2004, 6:49pm, 99of9 wrote:
I also think speedy is too cavalier with its elephant - twice now I have jammed it into positions it could never get out of.  This doesn't just lose a piece, it loses the whole game, so is very important to avoid.

Looks like the others have figured out how to REALLY exploit this and win every game this way.

It's an interesting problem for bots in general actually - whether to accept the offer of a free piece to have your elephant locked away.  It's worth it if there's a reasonable chance of unlocking the elephant with your other pieces, but otherwise, you shouldn't even accept a camel offer.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.