Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 20th, 2024, 4:52am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « bot_ziltoid »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Bot Development
(Moderator: supersamu)
   bot_ziltoid
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: bot_ziltoid  (Read 3803 times)
Hippo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4450

bot_ziltoid
« on: Jul 19th, 2012, 8:46am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Is bot_ziltoid just briareus with new name or there were huge change in code/hardware?
IP Logged

rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

Re: bot_ziltoid
« Reply #1 on: Jul 19th, 2012, 9:35am »

Same code on weaker hardware than the one in the postal.

I'll probably start making small changes soon though.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 19th, 2012, 12:07pm »

Thanks for the clarification, and thanks for putting up a 30s/move bot so it isn't straight blitz against developer bots.  Smiley  Good luck with the tweaking!
IP Logged

browni3141
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #7014

« Reply #3 on: Jul 19th, 2012, 10:48pm »

Is ziltoid running on a calculator? It amazes me how much of a difference there seems to be between ziltoid and briareus! I guess I don't have a good impression of briareus strength because I don't play it often and I am rapidly improving. Also, I might be trying to compare postal briareus with 30s ziltoid, which is obviously going to give me shady impressions of their difference in strength. It makes me wonder what a bot could do running on a supercomputer. I kind of doubt it could beat the best humans consistently, but it would be an interesting (although probably impractical) experiment.
IP Logged

rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #4 on: Jul 20th, 2012, 2:06am »

on Jul 19th, 2012, 10:48pm, browni3141 wrote:
Is ziltoid running on a calculator? It amazes me how much of a difference there seems to be between ziltoid and briareus! I guess I don't have a good impression of briareus strength because I don't play it often and I am rapidly improving. Also, I might be trying to compare postal briareus with 30s ziltoid, which is obviously going to give me shady impressions of their difference in strength.

It's running on a computer that's about 4 times slower than the one used for the postal tournament. Between that and 30s per move instead of 4 hours, we're talking about a factor of 1920 in thinking power, that is enough to go 1-2 plies deeper depending on the position. So I'm not surprised that you see a big difference in the move quality.

on Jul 19th, 2012, 10:48pm, browni3141 wrote:
It makes me wonder what a bot could do running on a supercomputer. I kind of doubt it could beat the best humans consistently, but it would be an interesting (although probably impractical) experiment.

The biggest computer my bot has run on had 64 cores, it was pretty fast but doesn't count as a super-computer.

I have a version that can run on clusters but it didn't work very well on the Amazon EC2 cluster when I tried it some time ago due to high communication latency between the servers. In the meantime they claimed to have fixed a bug that was preventing users from choosing machines that are very closely located, maybe this helps.

For me, renting such a cluster (maybe a 100 machines or so) would be the only realistic way to have a lot of computing power for the bot. Even then it wouldn't be cheap, as each machine costs a few dollars per hour.
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2012, 2:30am by rbarreira » IP Logged
mistre
Forum Guru

« Reply #5 on: Feb 7th, 2013, 9:43am »

I'm curious.... Is the Bot_Ziltoid that you are entering into this year's computer championship any different from Bot_Briareus from last year's championship?
IP Logged

rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #6 on: Feb 11th, 2013, 2:59am »

on Feb 7th, 2013, 9:43am, mistre wrote:
I'm curious.... Is the Bot_Ziltoid that you are entering into this year's computer championship any different from Bot_Briareus from last year's championship?

It is different, but not very much. Just a few small improvements (like disallowing 3-for-1 moves) and bug fixes.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.