Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 4:16pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Sharp 2015 available for download »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Bot Development
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Sharp 2015 available for download
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Sharp 2015 available for download  (Read 4054 times)
lightvector
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2543

Sharp 2015 available for download
« on: May 14th, 2018, 10:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I don't know if net releasing this motivates Arimaa development and activity or has the opposite effect, but anyways hopefully someone finds this useful. Smiley

The following is a linux binary for sharp 2015 (plus some trivial bugfixes since then). It's dynamically linked but I believe shouldn't require any unusual libraries or anything, the only thing is it uses C++ standard library threads (which is built on top of pthreads), so I think it should run on mostly any standard modern linux installation.

Run it with no arguments for help. It supports aei ("./sharp2015.exe aei") and a simple direct analysis of a text file containing a game record ("./sharp2015.exe analyze").

https://icosahedral.net/downloads/sharp2015.exe
https://icosahedral.net/downloads/sharp2015windows.zip

(Edit 2019-05: Added optional -exclude and -excludesteps arguments to the analyze command)
(Edit 2019-11: Added windows version compiled with mingw)
« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2021, 11:18pm by lightvector » IP Logged
elescondite
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #5660

Re: Sharp 2015 available for download
« Reply #1 on: May 20th, 2018, 10:57am »

That's pretty cool, lightvector.  I downloaded it, though I haven't tried running it yet.

My bot (bot_eliminator) is continuing to teach itself the game.  It's a very slow process, though I have been encouraged by recent improvements it has made.  You can see it in its rating, which is gradually improving after remaining flat for quite a while.  I've actually begun working on an improvement to the learning process, but implementing it is going to take quite a bit of time.  If only I could make AI research my full-time day job…

Your bot has provided the standard to beat.  Nice work developing Sharp.  My goal continues to be to create a self-taught bot that is competitive with Sharp, and hopefully can beat it someday.  Maybe we can resume the computer championship matches at some point when there is realistic competition available.

Until then, congratulations on being the developer of the most powerful Arimaa player in the world.
IP Logged
CraggyCornmeal
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #10296

« Reply #2 on: Dec 6th, 2018, 11:41am »

How to Run Sharp on Windows—Newb Edition

1. Follow the steps in this article to get the Linux bash shell on Windows. It may seem daunting, but it's pretty straightforward.

2. Download sharp2015.exe from the first post in this thread and put it in a folder. In the same folder, create a .txt document.

3. To find an Arimaa game's list of moves, open the game window and click M on the right side. A new tab will open with the move list. Copy it and paste it into the .txt document you created.

4. Shift+right click on or in the folder with the .exe and .txt files. Click "Open Linux shell here".

5. Click the icon in the top left of the Linux shell, then click Properties. Under Options, check "Use Ctrl+Shift+C/V as Copy/Paste", then click OK. This will allow you to use these shortcuts for copy and paste here, since the normal Ctrl+C/V won't work.

6. To read Sharp's help file, type ./sharp2015.exe and hit enter. It has a lot of helpful guidance, though it's a little difficult for newbs to decipher.

7. The most common command you use will look like this:

./sharp2015.exe analyze movelist.txt 11s -t 30

This will analyze move 11s for 30 seconds. Here's another example:

./sharp2015.exe analyze movelist.txt 39g -t 150

This will analyze move 39g for 2.5 minutes. Of course, you should change "movelist" to whatever you chose to name your .txt document.

8. Once you hit enter, Sharp will start analyzing the position.

Depth, I believe, represents how many ply (half-turns) Sharp is searching past the given position.

Eval is Sharp's evaluation of the position. Positive numbers mean the player who is about to move is winning, while negative numbers mean the other player is winning. I believe this is measured in millirabbits, so an Eval of -1000 means Sharp thinks the non-moving player is up by one rabbit.

After the number of seconds you specified, Sharp will say what it thinks the best move is. It will also say what it thinks the best moves are on the next two or three turns.

There are other ways you can use Sharp, but this should be enough to get you started. To learn how to do other things, read the help file and ask around in the gameroom chat.
« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2019, 10:51am by CraggyCornmeal » IP Logged
lightvector
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2543

« Reply #3 on: Nov 2nd, 2019, 7:51pm »

By a user request, windows version added (original post edited)
IP Logged
Belteshazzar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #5094

« Reply #4 on: Nov 3rd, 2019, 6:47pm »

on Nov 2nd, 2019, 7:51pm, lightvector wrote:
By a user request, windows version added (original post edited)

Avast said that it was a rare type of file and sent it somewhere to be inspected.
IP Logged
aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #5 on: Nov 7th, 2020, 7:42am »

It doesn't appear that Sharp is useful as an analysis tool when in AEI mode, as it will not show its thinking while it's searching. It would be nice if everything it would have shown in "analyze" mode would then still show up as "info" messages. That way, Sharp could be communicated with in a standard way by other programs, like GUIs.
IP Logged
aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #6 on: May 1st, 2021, 8:11pm »

lightvector has released the source code under the 3-Clause BSD License: https://github.com/lightvector/arimaasharp
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.