Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 20th, 2024, 12:11am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Qualifying via highest rating »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Qualifying via highest rating
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Qualifying via highest rating  (Read 951 times)
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Qualifying via highest rating
« on: Nov 24th, 2004, 2:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

As I look at the recent Clueless vs. Speedy matches, it makes me think there is a potential problem with the system that has bots qualify for the computer championship on the basis of ratings.

Speedy has a much higher rating than Bomb from playing humans at a fast time control, since speeding up hurts programs less than it hurts humans.  But presumably programs are roughly equally affected by playing quickly, so Clueless has roughly the same chance to beat Speedy at 30 seconds per move as to beat Bomb at 120 seconds per move.  Thus by playing Speedy, Clueless can get an inflated rating.

This may not matter, since Clueless has a high enough rating to be in the top four with or without playing Speedy.  Even so, it there happened to be five contenders for four spots, it wouldn't seem fair for the 30-second games to count towards Clueless's rating.

I would suggest a new rule: During November and December, no bots can vary their playing speed.  If you want to play at two speeds, you have to get two accounts, like Bomb/Speedy.  This prevents possible ratings distortion.
IP Logged

jdb
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #214

Re: Qualifying via highest rating
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24th, 2004, 3:03pm »

Your point is valid.

Another alternative would be to compute a separate "qualifying rating", for the bots, based only on games that are admissible for qualification.
IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #2 on: Nov 25th, 2004, 3:09pm »

on Nov 24th, 2004, 2:47pm, Fritzlein wrote:

Speedy has a much higher rating than Bomb from playing humans at a fast time control, since speeding up hurts programs less than it hurts humans.

This is precisely the reason my rating is so high too!  You guys are just much easier to beat at fast time control Wink.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #3 on: Nov 27th, 2004, 3:47am »

We could still have a problem if bot_clueless was waiting for a game and David decides to run bot_Speedy against it. bot_clueless would not be varying its playing speed in this case but still get in games against bot_Speedy.

So in addition to what Fritzlein proposed, we may also need to only count games that are played against other bots that are trying to qualify (as jdb proposed).

Another possibilty may be to use a ladder system among the bots that are qualifying and select the top 4 bots from the ladder rather than from the ratings.

IP Logged
fotland
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #211

« Reply #4 on: Nov 27th, 2004, 12:20pm »

How about not limiting the number of bot entries to four?  Since they are run automatically, it doesn't take much more effort to include more bots.  You just need to separate the serious efforts from frivolous.  Perhaps just pick a bot as a qualifier, and say that the bot needs to play enough games, and have a rating above 1600, or beat the reference bot, say 6 or more games out of 10.
IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #5 on: Nov 27th, 2004, 12:28pm »

I think David's ideas are excellent.  I would like to see the round robin including all interested bot developers - even if the bots aren't up to scratch.  Last year I entered Gnobot for this very reason, even though I knew it was terrible compared to bomb / occam.

Win 5 out of 10 against a (randomized) arimaazilla-level bot, and you're in as long as you play the requisite number of games during December (so everyone can see your bot play).
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #6 on: Dec 5th, 2004, 6:08pm »

Well more games does add to the cost, since I would need to rent the servers longer and pay more to the ICGA to conduct the tournament. I don't think we will have any problems this year. The top 4 this year seem to be:

bot_Bomb
bot_GnoBot
bot_clueless
bot_Loc

I don't think bot_Occam, bot_Aamira or the other bots are trying to qualify this year.

If there are more bots next year, maybe we can have a tounament with all the bots playing to narrow down the field to 4. The bots would be running on the developer's system and under the developers control during this tournament. So we can use the result of the tournament instead of rating to pick the top 4 bots.

I would still require that the bots be made availible online to play some games against humans and other bots because I don't want to have a situations like what happened with Deep Blue.

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.