Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 3:02am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2005 World Championship »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2005 World Championship
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2005 World Championship  (Read 2605 times)
MrBrain
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #344

2005 World Championship
« on: Oct 1st, 2004, 7:44am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm extremely disappointed that we went with an even faster time control than the one we used last year, which was already too fast.  I really thought that if we could have a system that would better match up times when people could play, that we could have gone to something reasonable, like 2 minutes a move.  I guess I'll sign up for the tournament, but at 1:15 per move, I don't have a realistic chance of playing a good game.  Even the best players won't be able to put together quality games at that speed.  Do we forget already that the last game of the championship was decided by one player running out of time?   Sad
« Last Edit: Oct 1st, 2004, 7:45am by MrBrain » IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

Re: 2005 World Championship
« Reply #1 on: Oct 1st, 2004, 10:40am »

on Oct 1st, 2004, 7:44am, MrBrain wrote:
I'm extremely disappointed that we went with an even faster time control than the one we used last year, which was already too fast.  I really thought that if we could have a system that would better match up times when people could play, that we could have gone to something reasonable, like 2 minutes a move.

I'm also slightly surprised that the human time controls for the finals are not 2 minutes, because then they would be the same as the bots will play at in the bot tournament.

on Oct 1st, 2004, 7:44am, MrBrain wrote:

Even the best players won't be able to put together quality games at that speed.  Do we forget already that the last game of the championship was decided by one player running out of time?   Sad

Well, I would dispute this.  Currently most games between top players are played at even faster time controls than 1:15.  This is because games between top players often go for more moves than games between more erratic players, but they have similarly limited time in their lives.   In the game you refer to, if time limits had been 3 min per move, and players had used their entire time, the game would probably have gone for almost 8 hours (it went to 66 moves, and may well have taken another 14).  Three games of that is too much to commit to.

Perhaps a compromise that would help everyone would be to put some time in the reserve at the start of the game, and make a larger reserve.  Then normal moves would still be played at a reasonable pace, but players who need to think once in a while would have that option.

I would support  1m15s/10m/100/10/15m
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 1st, 2004, 11:38am »

I agree that there is an issue here, but there is quite a bit of gray area.  What is a "quality game"?  Clearly, the longer players have to think, the better they will play objectively.  Someone who likes to play at four minutes per move could well claim that speeding up to two minutes per move degrades the quality of the game, but then a postal player might say that games played at four minutes per move display an acute lack of planning and are full of outright errors.

A more important issue of "quality game" is the enjoyment of a game as a spectator sport.  Is it fun to watch?  I know as a fan of chess that games played at two and a half minutes per move are very taxing on the patience of the spectators.  In sports in general, it is fun to watch both sides straining to their utmost to win, even if there are mistakes.  And the best time control for spectators is probably between 30 seconds and 60 seconds per move.

I think there must be a balance.  On the one hand the games shouldn't merely be about who can avoid a blunder.  For interest's sake there should be identifiable plans and strategies.  On the other hand, the goal isn't merely mistake-free Arimaa, it is interesting Arimaa to watch, and that requires not going too slowly.  
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

Re: 2005 World Championshipt
« Reply #3 on: Oct 1st, 2004, 12:19pm »

Personally as a player I perfer longer time controls also. It gives me a chance to be more relaxed and play a better game. But there are other considerations besides what's best for the players.

People have time constraints and our players are distributed all over the world, so trying to keep the games within a resonable time where more people can fit it into their schedual to play and watch is very important.  

In an absolute sense the quality of a game is better with longer time controls, but in a relative sense the quality of a game at any time control is still good for that given time control. If the tournament used postal time controls the absolute quality of the games might be even better and there might be a different person who wins the championship at that time control than at the interactive but slow time control. And at a faster interactive time contorl a third person might win. So the actual time control does not matter too much; someone or other will be good at what ever time contorl we chose.

Now one can also get very concerned about the probability of the same person winning the tournament again and that probability going down as the time control gets faster. That is, are the tournament results repeatable. But I don't like to get too concerened about that because even with very long interactive time contols I dont think the probability would be that much better (the format of the tournament effects this probability and we would have to have tournaments with many more games; like a round robin; to make make major improvements).  

I would much rather have more people being able to play and watch the World Championship games than sacrificing that for things like quality of the games and repeatability. The place where these things matter more (well at least to me) is in the Arimaa challenge match; thus the longer time controls there Smiley

If you practice for your matches by playing games with a faster time control than what is used in the tournament, you will not have any problems.

IP Logged
MrBrain
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #344

« Reply #4 on: Oct 1st, 2004, 2:05pm »

"If you practice for your matches by playing games with a faster time control than what is used in the tournament, you will not have any problem"

No, this is not the case for me.  I know from experience that I am a deep thinker, and not a fast thinker.  I could practice all day at a faster time control, and I'll still make blunders at the faster time control.  Arimaa is a game of strategy.  And as such, it should have a longer time control.  At shorter time controls, tactics takes over, and strategy goes out the window.  This is a huge shame.
IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

toby_hudson  

« Reply #5 on: Oct 1st, 2004, 2:42pm »

on Oct 1st, 2004, 2:05pm, MrBrain wrote:

No, this is not the case for me.  I know from experience that I am a deep thinker, and not a fast thinker.  I could practice all day at a faster time control, and I'll still make blunders at the faster time control.  

I think it would be worth trying in arimaa.  You have a limited record against anyone but bot_shallowblue, so I can't say anything conclusive from your record - but you have beaten speedy 1-0, and lost to bomb 0-2.  Since these are the same algorithm, this possibly implies that you are _better_ at short time controls!?

You would be surprised how much strategy can fit in even a 30-45 second time control.   When I have played these time controls, about one quarter of the games have been decided by tactical errors by one player or the other, an half have been decided by out-strategising, and another quarter have been decided by flag fall.
IP Logged
MrBrain
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #344

« Reply #6 on: Oct 1st, 2004, 2:58pm »

No, I have played many games besides Arimaa, mainly chess.  I do very poorly in quick time controls, and very well in long time controls.  If the championship were in a long time control, I would have a realistic chance of winning against anyone on here, despite my limited record.  With a short time control, I have none.

I feel very strongly that 2 minutes is an absolute lower-end limit on a reasonable time control for Arimaa.  If the challenge match and the computer match are at 2 minutes, the human match should also be at 2 minutes.  

Omar always states that the reason for the fast control is due to availability of players.  Well, if that's a huge concern, then why isn't there a reasonable mechanism to choose a time that's convenient for both players?  Last year's scheme was inadequate to find a time that's mutually convenient.  I have no problem playing an 8-hour game, as long as it won't bump into anything else that I've committed to.  Having to pick 30 slots out of 59 makes that impossible.  It's a "World Championship", so it should be played at a rate that makes a very serious game that includes strategy possible.
IP Logged
MrBrain
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #344

« Reply #7 on: Oct 1st, 2004, 3:01pm »

The other option is that if the human match is 1:15 per move, then the computer match and the challenge match should be at 1:15 per move.  Pick a time and stick to it.  Don't have one time control for one type of match, and a different one for computers.  That makes no sense.
IP Logged
clauchau
Forum Guru

bot Quantum Leapfrog's father

« Reply #8 on: Oct 1st, 2004, 4:31pm »

I very much like it at 1:15 (and 2:00 later on).
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 2nd, 2004, 3:00pm »

I agree with MrBrain that playing well at a certain speed isn't merely a matter of practice.  Some people naturally excel more at one time control than at another.  But that doesn't really enter into the argument of what time control is best for the World Championship.  Surely MrBrain isn't saying, "A longer time control is more appropriate because a longer time control gives me a better chance of winning."

The most serious issue to me is to avoid a time control that makes strategic planning impossible and/or unimportant relative to tactics.  The nature of the game does change depending on the time contol.  However, I do not think 75 seconds per move is so fast that tatics will dominate.

How have I been able to beat bot_speedy five games out of six at 30 seconds per move?  Did I outduel it at tactics?  Not at all.  I don't think any of us can top bot_speedy in tactics at that lightning pace.  Yet I won anyway.  Clearly my victories were due to good strategy (or rather very poor strategy by speedy).  At the much slower pace of 75 seconds per move, strategy becomes even more possible and more important relative to tactics.

After the fact, we will be able to judge from the games themselves whether the strategy took a back seat to tactics across the board.  If I had to bet in advance, however, I would bet that the games will be more strategic than in last year's championship, despite the faster time control, simply because the level of play has generally risen.  And indeed, it is partially the rising level of play that is adding more moves to the games, and increasing the pressure to have less time per move.
IP Logged

MrBrain
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #344

« Reply #10 on: Oct 3rd, 2004, 11:57am »

I must admit that a significant part of my disappointment is the realization that I will not have a realistic chance of winning at these controls.

But my stronger protest is that there are different time controls for different games and different types of games (computers, humans).  I just feel very strongly that there should be one official time control.  This should be included in the Arimaa challenge itself.  Otherwise, the challenge loses some meaningfulness.  When the computers get better, can we then increase the time control to give the humans more time to develop strategy?

But anyway, I should apologize for being so negative in these posts.  I wouldn't be so much so if I didn't feel so strongly and very positive about the game of Arimaa and what quality in games and strategy should be acceptable.  I very much appreciate all the work that Omar and his family and friends have put into the creation of the game.  Also the hard work and money put into offering events such as these championships and the challenges.  Thank you.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #11 on: Oct 3rd, 2004, 12:10pm »

I agree that time control for the games of the Arimaa Challenge should be written into the rules of the challenge.  It would indeed be silly to lengthen the time controls, once computers start getting close, in order to give humans a better chance.  The only thing I might support is increasing the numbers of games in the match, so a fluke decision is less likely.  But the time control ought to be set in stone to make the challenge as meaningful as possible.

I also am sympathetic to the argument that the time controls for the human World Championship should be the same as those for the Arimaa Challenge.  If one function of the human championship is to pick a representative of  the human race to beat up the computers, then why not use a similar format?

On the other hand, if I remember correctly, the human representative in the Arimaa Challenge match is not determined by the human World Championship.  Those are two different things.  Omar and Aamir explicitly have the right to pick whoever they want, with no reference to tournaments or ratings or anything.  So in that sense the two events aren't really linked, even though they are close in time.
« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2004, 11:12am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #12 on: Oct 5th, 2004, 5:56am »

Last year we did not have as much actual experience with the different time controls as we do now. So I had chosen a time control of 3/3/100/15/8 for the Arimaa challenge match just to make sure there would not be any need to rush. Having played the challenge match myself, I now think it was a bit too much. I was getting bored waiting for Bomb to move and had plenty of time to take snack breaks (I don't drink coffee) between moves. Anyone who has played Bomb or GnoBot version 2004CC will probably feel the same. This year I've reduced it down to 2/2/100/10/8.  
Games at this time control will run for about 2 to 4 hours and a really long game could go for about 5 or 6 hours. I think this is a really good time control for offical Arimaa games where the players are able to commit this kind of time for the games. I plan on using this for all Arimaa challenge games and the computer championship games in the future. Im sure the computers have no complaints about it and there is only one human involved. I would also like to use this time control for the human championship games, but I just don't think that people can commit that much time. In the human championship we are dealing with lots of people and people in different time zones; so as a practical consideration we have to use a faster time control for this event so that most games can fit into about two hours. I don't mind having different time controls for different events. I think we have to flexible and adjust based on the needs of the event.

With faster time controls the thing I worry about most is that blunders will overtake both strategy and tactics. The chance of a player losing due to missing a goal threat or because they did not notice the clock increases dramatically. So there is probably some lower limit for the time controls before it becomes unacceptable.

The games we are playing in the EU vs US match will give us some idea of how fast we can make the time controls before blunders overtake strategy and tactics. The one minute per move time control for these games is a bit faster than what we will be using for the knock out games in the world championship. Of the 3 games played so far only my game with Claude ended on time, the other two seemed to go OK.

Playing games at a fast time control does help one learn to avoid blunders and watch the clock more carefully. But it can never subsitute for the higher quality stratigic play that is possible with slower time controls.

Someday if the Arimaa world championship games mean much more and the players don't mind commiting the time, we can go to the slower time control. But then if ESPN start to cover it we might have to use faster time contorls again Smiley
IP Logged
MrBrain
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #344

« Reply #13 on: Oct 5th, 2004, 10:30am »

For myself, I would really prefer a 2/2/100/10/8 time control for all future official matches, regardless of opponents.  From your personal correspondence, I understand you've improved the scheduling mechanism.  This should be sufficient to ensure that everyone will be able to finish games at this speed.  Like you said, 2 to 4 hours is typical.  Almost everyone could start a game at 8 pm at least one night of the week, for example.  Then, even if a game goes very long (6 hours), it just becomes a late night.  I think in today's world, most people are used to having a late night every now and then.
IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

toby_hudson  

« Reply #14 on: Oct 7th, 2004, 7:36pm »

on Oct 5th, 2004, 10:30am, MrBrain wrote:
Almost everyone could start a game at 8 pm at least one night of the week, for example.  Then, even if a game goes very long (6 hours), it just becomes a late night.  I think in today's world, most people are used to having a late night every now and then.

1) Two players would always be involved.  Unless their one night a week coincidentally lined up, one night a week is useless.

2) Who's 8pm are you talking about?  In case you haven't noticed, some of us do not live in the same timezone as you.  Your 8pm is past my midnight, and that's when you want the game to STARTHuh

I think you'd be better off arguing about weekends - they are easily the best chance to line up schedules.    

However, I agree strongly with Omar that lining up the schedule of two busy people in different timezones is _very_ difficult.  You may remember that I forfeited my quarter final against you last year because I was unable to line up time for even one game of arimaa on one particular week, and that was without even trying to match it to your schedule.  I'd suggest that too many forfeits is just as bad or worse than too many timeouts.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.