Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 24th, 2024, 1:15am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Postal Tournament »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Postal Tournament
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Postal Tournament  (Read 6759 times)
MrBrain
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #344

Re: Postal Tournament
« Reply #75 on: Feb 9th, 2005, 9:28am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Perhaps I missed this somewhere, but it doesn't seem to be in the rules for the tournament:

How do we determine who is the winner of the tournament?  If two players have the same number of wins, what are the tie breakers?

By the way, I think my earlier suggestion got lost in the shuffle, which is to have some sort of cross-table or something that shows results.  Otherwise, it's really hard to track what's going on in the tournament.
IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #76 on: Feb 9th, 2005, 5:14pm »

It's highly unlikely that 2 players will get 100%, because most top players play each other.

If they do not get 100%, then deciding the winner is easy, because the number of points for a loss depends on how long the game took.

I agree a cross table would be nice.  However I think it is more an issue of no one having the time and energy to make one yet.  Especially since there are only 2 or 3 results!
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2005, 9:24pm by 99of9 » IP Logged
MrBrain
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #344

« Reply #77 on: Feb 9th, 2005, 11:16pm »

I understand how the $ goes back to the players.  But that doesn't explain the standings, does it?  Or does the person getting back the most money win the tournament?
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #78 on: Feb 10th, 2005, 12:49am »

The tournament victory is based on win and losses, but I agree that it would be good to specifiy a tiebreaker.  My vote is that the best tiebreaker is (sum of moves in player's losses) minus (sum of moves in player's wins), so that whoever wins fastest and loses slowest in their games has the tiebreak edge.
IP Logged

99of9
Forum Guru

toby_hudson  

« Reply #79 on: Feb 10th, 2005, 4:21am »

Or the one who had higher rated opponents Wink
IP Logged
Keith
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #4

« Reply #80 on: Feb 12th, 2005, 3:30am »

I have not gone away.  I don't think I will time out.  I am overwhelmed with work.  I expect to be working every waking hour through February 15th.

Keith
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #81 on: Feb 12th, 2005, 9:38am »

I am starting to agree with Paul that 10 games is too many.  Many next tournament we can play 8 each.  To play ten at once you have to be logged on almost every day.  That isn't so unusual for me, but I think the burden is wearing on many players.
IP Logged

99of9
Forum Guru

toby_hudson  

« Reply #82 on: Feb 12th, 2005, 7:44pm »

I'm only playing 8... that's why I was so quick out of the blocks in some games, and so slow in others Smiley.

More seriously:  I think I would prefer to have many games, and slow down the time controls if need be.  I'd even be happy with 1move/2days if it meant that everyone could play everyone else.  I don't think many games are in danger of hitting 100 moves anymore - arimaa seems to have moved on to a very aggressive style.
IP Logged
Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #83 on: Feb 14th, 2005, 3:32pm »

In December, coincidentally just a few days before I learned about arimaa, I signed up for a few correspondence chess tournaments.  With all of those games plus 10 arimaa games, I'm definitely nearing the saturation point!  It's been fun, though, and I'm coping by making my chess moves very quickly in the morning and then studying the more difficult arimaa games during my subway/bus commute to work.

In the next Arimaa tournament I'd vote for for 2 days/per move and a round robin format (assuming no more than 20 players) and a 28d reserve.  I'd also be perfectly happy to repeat this current format again if other players feel overwhelmed from playing too many games or if it would otherwise compromise the quality of play.
« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2005, 3:38pm by Adanac » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #84 on: Feb 17th, 2005, 8:29pm »

on Feb 12th, 2005, 7:44pm, 99of9 wrote:
I don't think many games are in danger of hitting 100 moves anymore - arimaa seems to have moved on to a very aggressive style.

Hmmm... but notice that we recently had human-human games of 77 and 80 moves, both more than the previous record.  It seems that in spite of the new aggression, positions can stay balanced, or can seize up.  In my postal game against Adanac, for example, he attacked recklessly, and I got a horse frame out of it, but I can't untangle my position and the result is as slow as molasses.
IP Logged

Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #85 on: Feb 17th, 2005, 10:01pm »

on Feb 17th, 2005, 8:29pm, Fritzlein wrote:

In my postal game against Adanac, for example, he attacked recklessly...

Unfortunately, you just described half my postal games Smiley  Fortunately, I'm finding that it's possible to recover from these disastrous openings even with the slow time controls.

There was also a recent 102 move draw with some very aggressive opening tactics!

« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2005, 7:12am by Adanac » IP Logged

99of9
Forum Guru

toby_hudson  

« Reply #86 on: Mar 1st, 2005, 1:47am »

Mr Brain and Naveed are getting quite low on time in my games.  If either of you see this in time...
IP Logged
Keith
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #4

« Reply #87 on: Mar 11th, 2005, 12:12am »

Alas I am about to go back to playing hot potato with all my games and lobbing them back over to the other side as quickly as possible.  I have a 5 week trial begining March 18.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #88 on: Mar 11th, 2005, 5:10pm »

Im finding that 10 games is a bit much for me. I'm spending most of my Arimaa time on the postal games and not getting a chance to other Arimaa related things. I'm used to playing only one or two postal games at a time at a much slower pace. I really love the no time limit games like the one I have going against Claude. Sometimes we don't make a move for months. The games are really enjoyable because there no preasure.

For the postal tounament I would opt for longer time controls also. Maybe 2 days per move and 1 month reserve like Adanac suggested. But I don't think I could handle more games.
IP Logged
Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #89 on: Mar 14th, 2005, 10:11am »

on Mar 11th, 2005, 5:10pm, omar wrote:
Im finding that 10 games is a bit much for me. I'm spending most of my Arimaa time on the postal games and not getting a chance to other Arimaa related things. I'm used to playing only one or two postal games at a time at a much slower pace. I really love the no time limit games like the one I have going against Claude. Sometimes we don't make a move for months. The games are really enjoyable because there no preasure.

For the postal tounament I would opt for longer time controls also. Maybe 2 days per move and 1 month reserve like Adanac suggested. But I don't think I could handle more games.

Much to my surprise, arimaa is proving much more difficult with the 1 day time controls than chess.  Chess games generally have fewer moves and many of them can be played without much thought such as opening theory, forced recaptures and other obvious moves.  Of course, not only does that reduce the amount of thinking required, but it pads the clock too.  I’ve played up to 20 correspondence chess games simultaneously in the past with less of a burden than these 10 arimaa games (don’t get me wrong - my use of the word ‘burden’ doesn’t mean that I haven’t greatly enjoyed this arimaa tournament).  In arimaa, as in chess, one blunder can lead to long-term suffering, so great care is required in both games, but I find that arimaa has far more ‘crossroad’ positions that require serious analysis.  That adds to the enjoyment of each game but it can also annoy the wife   Wink

For future tournaments, perhaps we could make 2 separate divisions for ‘casual’ and ‘hard-core’ with the latter using a round-robin format and the former being capped at 6 games with a 2 day limit/move.  I’ll definitely play again in future tournaments but next time I’ll be more aware of the time commitment required.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.