Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 23rd, 2024, 9:29pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Postal Tournament Results »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Postal Tournament Results
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Postal Tournament Results  (Read 4312 times)
99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

Re: Postal Tournament Results
« Reply #30 on: Mar 14th, 2005, 1:28am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Is that why we all got the weird messages then!?  It looks like Omar's scripts aren't allowing you to resign, and have simply restarted the games Wink.

It's unfortunate that you didn't have time to play so many at once.  

Postal moves seem to take a long time if you think hard about them!  I have 3 games where I'm under immense pressure and every move seems critical.  (Adanac and Omar both putting massive goal pressure on me, Fritz is up a Horse).  I think I may lose all 3, but Adanac will deserve a massive round of applause if he can pull it off, because he sacrificed his camel almost 10 moves ago!!
IP Logged
MrBrain
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #344

« Reply #31 on: Mar 14th, 2005, 7:26am »

I actually did have the time, barely.  But when I did, having so many games to make moves at once led to my confusion with the analyze window.  This is where I made almost all of my serious mistakes in the tournament.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #32 on: Mar 14th, 2005, 2:24pm »

on Mar 13th, 2005, 10:12pm, MrBrain wrote:
I have resigned all 10 of my games.

That's too bad; I was looking forward to seeing how your games against 99of9 and Belbo turned out.  It looked like a good struggle in each case.

Postal gaming is truly a test of endurance.  If I weren't on spring break at the moment myself, I might have had to resign my remaining games as well, just to prevent it from sabotaging my schoolwork.
IP Logged

99of9
Forum Guru

toby_hudson  

« Reply #33 on: Mar 15th, 2005, 4:11pm »

99of9 beat Robinson in 51 moves (game 12862)
IP Logged
Keith
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #4

« Reply #34 on: Mar 17th, 2005, 11:31pm »

Keith beat Rabbitball in 26 moves. (game 12895)
IP Logged
robinson
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #719

119532424 119532424    
Email

« Reply #35 on: Mar 18th, 2005, 12:56pm »

robinson beat RonWeasley in 69 moves
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #36 on: Apr 4th, 2005, 8:59am »

It seems JDB has very quitely had a superb tournament.  He picked up 70 rating poitns, and is still probably underrated due to lack of play.  Eight points out of ten looks at the moment to be good enough to tie for second in this tournament, and there is an outside chance it could even tie for first.

Congratulations JDB!  Next time we'll be ready for you...
IP Logged

kamikazeking
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #119

« Reply #37 on: Apr 10th, 2005, 7:51am »

kamikazeking beat Keith in 37 moves (game 16205)
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #38 on: Apr 20th, 2005, 8:27am »

The tournament is nearly wrapped up now, with only 5 games to go.  Or maybe it is just getting started...  I took a peek at the Robinson vs. Omar game and see that it is still very equal.  That game is now up to move 43, and the only captures were in a horse trade on move 27.  It seems there is no way this game will end before move 70, and it wouldn't be too surprising for it to set a new record for most moves.

One amusing thing is that the link to the game through the gameroom still shows Robinson's pre-game rating of 1658.  I'll bet Omar wishes he were still playing a 1658-strength player now that Robinson's rating has shot up to 1997!  If I lose my game to Omar, I will need Robinson to win this one to insure me victory in the tournament.  Go Till!
« Last Edit: Apr 24th, 2005, 8:33am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

99of9
Forum Guru

toby_hudson  

« Reply #39 on: Jun 6th, 2005, 4:47am »

Mr Brain resigned his game against bomb also.  The server was acting strange and generated a new game for them.

I think he just found he was too busy to play so many games at the same time.  It turned out to be more taxing than most people expected.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #40 on: Jun 6th, 2005, 8:18pm »

on Jun 6th, 2005, 4:47am, 99of9 wrote:
I think he just found he was too busy to play so many games at the same time.

I believe MrBrain was primarily frustrated to have made moves in actual games when he thought that he was making moves in the plan window.  After making the same mistake three times, two times affecting his position very adversely, he quit ALL of his games, including the ones he was winning.

It was sad to lose one of the participants of the postal tournament in this way.  I hope MrBrain will be back some day.
IP Logged

99of9
Forum Guru

toby_hudson  

« Reply #41 on: Jun 6th, 2005, 11:15pm »

Yes, of course you're right, I'd forgotten that (even though I once did it myself too).  He was also under a lot of time pressure in most games at the time he quit, but that was probably only a secondary issue.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #42 on: Jul 4th, 2005, 9:31am »

I have just updated the results page (the second post in this thread) with the results from the last game to finish, Robinson vs. Omar.  I computed the points for each player by hand, so someone should probably double-check the numbers before the entry money is re-distributed as prizes.

Thanks for organizing this, Omar.  It was a huge success in many ways.  The tournament brought together people who had never played against each other, inspired experimentation with opening setups and attacking strategies, and advanced the general knowledge of Arimaa strategy.  Let me know when you plan to kick off another one.  If the time control is slower and my life has settled down by then, I would love to play again.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #43 on: Jul 6th, 2005, 5:54pm »

I want to thank everyone who particapated in the postal tournament. It turned out to be a very fun event, although near the begining it was a little tough to keep up with all the games (at least for me). Im looking forward to running this event again next year, but at an even more relaxed time control.

I also want to thank Karl for keeping a table of results and calculating the points. I will write a program that does this (given the game ids) before the next postal tournament.

I've used the points Karl came up with to calculate the prizes for the players:

99of9   25.62
Fritzlein   36.39
Belbo   30.83
Omar   31.21
Bomb   19.94
RonWeasley   20.09
Naveed   0.00
Adanac   25.66
Paul   29.24
Robinson  25.99
MrBrain   0.00
Junaid   14.99
Jdb   30.57
Keith   2.55
Kamikazeking   19.38
Rabbitball   7.53

Please let me know if there are any errors.

I plan to distribute the prizes using PayPal, so please send an email to arimaa_game at yahoo to let me know what email address you perfer. Thanks.

IP Logged
RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #44 on: Jul 7th, 2005, 7:09am »

Nine cents profit!  That means I'm a professional!

Thanx, Omar, for the organizing effort.  This was a fun event.  It's slower than Quidditch, but everyone can play.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.