Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 9:36pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Lightning Tournament »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Lightning Tournament
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Lightning Tournament  (Read 4898 times)
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Lightning Tournament
« on: Mar 31st, 2005, 3:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

FrRo99OmAdPMKKScoreTiebreak
Fritzleinxxxx11111101111?1111111110??19/21-752
Robinson0000xxxx010011??1???1101111111/19-4
99of900101011xxxx11??10001111101114/22-182
Omar000?00??00??xxxx????0000????0/11266
Adanac00000???0111????xxxx01??0???4/12169
PMertens000000100000111110??xxxx10007/22335
Kamikazeking01??00000100????1???0111xxxx6/15168
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2005, 10:57pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: Lightning Tournament
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31st, 2005, 3:10pm »

I am formally calling for a lightning tournament.  I propose we organize it ourselves, because Omar is already overloaded with other projects.  Here are the rules I propose, which are open for discussion.

1. The format will be quadruple round robin.  Each will play each twice with gold and twice with silver.  All games will be played at the lightning time control of 15s/1/100/2/0.  There will be no entry fee or prize money.

2. The winner will be the player who scores the most points, where a win counts for one point and a draw for half a point.  The tiebreak will be (# of moves in losses) minus (# of moves in wins).  I'll keep track of the standings in the first post in this thread.

3. Both humans and bots may enter.  To enter, just respond in this thread saying that you want to play.  I have lifted a few names from the previous thread, but please confirm your entry anyway before the tournament starts.

4. The players are responsible for scheduling their own games, using the "Player Availability" forum.  We will try to complete the tournament between May 15 and July 15.  If two players can't agree on a time, we will call on Omar to use his scheduling mechanism to find a mutually agreeable time slot, during which all four games must be played back to back.

5. We basically must trust that everyone who enters the tournament will make a good faith effort to schedule games against everyone else.  However, if players don't make an effort to schedule their games in the Player Availability forum, and/or they refuse to abide Omar's tool as an impartial way to schedule their games, a neutral judge (TBD) will decide as of the tournament end who was most at fault for each unplayed game, and forfeit the player at fault.

6.  To prevent confusion as to which games are official tournament games and which are just for fun, the tournament will recognize the first four valid games between each pair of humans.  To be valid a game must be rated, must be at the lightning time control, and must be of a color assignment that hasn't yet been played twice.

7. Since bots have no say in whether or not they play rated games, humans could abuse rule 6 to get extra practice, so for bot-humans pairings both rated and unrated games are valid.

Those are all the rules I can think of off the top of my head.  I welcome additions, corrections, suggestions, and comments.  I'll edit these rules to incorporate suggestions, but of course will not edit the page further after the tournament starts.

Is anyone interested?  Smiley

« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2005, 8:40am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

robinson
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #719

119532424 119532424    
Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 31st, 2005, 4:09pm »

here my official announment Smiley
i think it might be hard to find enough dates for so many games in two month. but we can discuss about this when we know how many have joined.
IP Logged
Adanac
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #892

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 31st, 2005, 5:32pm »

I'll join the tournament.  I have a big actuarial exam on May 13th so I would have to play all my games between May 14th and June 15th, which shouldn't be any problem.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 31st, 2005, 7:18pm »

on Mar 31st, 2005, 4:09pm, robinson wrote:
i think it might be hard to find enough dates for so many games in two month. but we can discuss about this when we know how many have joined.

Good point.  I wasn't expecting a lot of people to join.  But maybe there will be a fair number, since in addition to humans perhaps Bomb and Gnobot will play.  We could of course change the start and end dates.  On the other hand, two months is already a long time, so maybe a better idea would be to play just a double round-robin if more than, say, eight people sign up.
IP Logged

PMertens
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #692

« Reply #5 on: Apr 4th, 2005, 2:03pm »

as you might have noticed I am a little bit busy at the moment Wink
IP Logged
kamikazeking
Forum Junior Member

Arimaa player #119

« Reply #6 on: Apr 10th, 2005, 7:57am »

I'm in! Now i'm just waiting for people rated under 1600 to play in their championship Tongue what about announce this tournament in the main page? The forum may not be the better way to reach everybody...
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 10th, 2005, 8:16am »

I'm glad you will play, kamikaze!  With four of us in, it will be an interesting tourney already.  But I didn't consider that Omar got 16 people for the postal tourney partly by advertising on the main page and even e-mail.

Since Adanac can't start until May anyway, and maybe more people will sign up if we recruit a little better, what do you think about delaying the beginning to May 1st?  I could start sooner or later myself, and a small tournament or a big one is fine in my eyes.
IP Logged

99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #8 on: Apr 10th, 2005, 8:33am »

I think I will have to sit this tournament out.  This computer does not display the timers during play, which would be quite a disadvantage for 15 second games!  I think my connection to the US is a little slow for lighting anyway.

I will certainly watch with interest.  Have fun players.  I'd encourage anyone who can to join up.  This kind of fast game gives you really good practise at avoiding blunders.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #9 on: Apr 13th, 2005, 5:36pm »

Karl if you can post a web page somewhere about the tournament details, I will link it in the Arimaa gameroom and make an announcement.

I will sign up to play even though I am really bad at fast games Smiley I know Naveed would have liked to play also, but he is in India right now and won't be back til the middle of May.

One thing for sure; these kind of games are very fun to watch since they are so unpredictable.

IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #10 on: Apr 13th, 2005, 7:00pm »

You are a good sport to offer to play Omar, and to offer to link a Web page.

Now since both Adanac and Naveed want to play, and since neither of them can play until mid-May, does it make sense to delay the start of the tournament until May 15?  I think we should do that unless some people could play now but not in May.  Does anyone have a strong opinion?
IP Logged

99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #11 on: Apr 14th, 2005, 5:06am »

I think you should delay it.  But I'm not playing, so my opinion shouldn't count much!
IP Logged
RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #12 on: Apr 14th, 2005, 8:08am »

Browser crashes and high maintenance family prohibit me from playing.  George keeps turning my camel into a frog.  And I'm not ready to move that fast.  However, I hope match times will be posted because I'm an avid spectator.
IP Logged
robinson
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #719

119532424 119532424    
Email

« Reply #13 on: Apr 14th, 2005, 8:23am »

may is ok (for me)
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #14 on: Apr 14th, 2005, 8:38am »

OK, May 15 it is.  I have changed the dates in the rules posting.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.