Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 5:29am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « North America Vs The rest match? »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   North America Vs The rest match?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: North America Vs The rest match?  (Read 649 times)
frostlad
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #1704

North America Vs The rest match?
« on: Apr 19th, 2006, 3:51pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I keep seeing the EU vs US link on the side and I was wondering if anything like that was ever going to happen again?

Unless my counting is off, out of the 20 top human players, 10 of the top human players are from north america, and the other 10 are from other parts of the world. I think it would be interesting to see.
And is there really much for tournaments between now and the world championship? If not it might be something neat for the summer months to see.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: North America Vs The rest match?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 19th, 2006, 4:51pm »

Yeah, it would be great if the summer months had a tournament other than the tail end of the postal tournament winding down.  EU vs. US was the autumn before last.  Also, last summer I tried semi-successfully to organize a Blitz tournament.  A revival of either of those in some form this summer would be great, although I don't want to place too many demands on Omar's time.  Summer could also be a time for Omar to have a break and/or work on infrastructure.

What format would you propose for North America versus the Rest of the World?  Four players on each team, all play all, for a total of sixteen games?  How would you handle alternates if some people couldn't play the full schedule?

Maybe a better idea is to try to recruit 8 players for each team, and have only two rounds.  First round would be 1v2, 2v1, 3v4, 4v3, 5v6, 6v5, 7v8, 8v7 and the second round would be 1v1, 2v2, ... 8v8.
« Last Edit: Apr 19th, 2006, 4:55pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

IdahoEv
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1753

« Reply #2 on: Apr 19th, 2006, 5:50pm »

I would be interested to see a BotBashers competition: see who can defeat certain bots with the largest handicap, in the fewest turns, etc.

« Last Edit: Apr 19th, 2006, 6:57pm by IdahoEv » IP Logged
frostlad
Forum Senior Member

Arimaa player #1704

« Reply #3 on: Apr 19th, 2006, 7:53pm »

I haven't really thought of anything yet. Currently I've been very busy with school, but I just wanted to see what people thought would be interesting for the summer. Summer is when I'll have time to play a lot.
Maybe I'll take a shot at swynndla's PotM record then Wink

I noticed an earlier thread too about bot bashing challenge of the month. We could bring something like that back especially since we have the new 2006 bots and most people have been concentrating on the ladder instead of botbashing.  

IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #4 on: Apr 19th, 2006, 10:12pm »

on Apr 19th, 2006, 7:53pm, frostlad wrote:
I noticed an earlier thread too about bot bashing challenge of the month. We could bring something like that back...

Yes, feel free to post a new challenge to that thread.  Try to be creative Smiley.
« Last Edit: Apr 19th, 2006, 10:13pm by 99of9 » IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #5 on: May 5th, 2006, 9:53pm »

I hope I get some time this summer to focus on Arimaa. But I was thinking of using the time to work on the site.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #6 on: May 6th, 2006, 9:01am »

on May 5th, 2006, 9:53pm, omar wrote:
I hope I get some time this summer to focus on Arimaa. But I was thinking of using the time to work on the site.

I vote that increasing the capacity and robustness of the site is a higher priority than promotion at the moment.  It's no good doing fun things to attract people if the newcomers are then driven away by poor performance and frequent crashes from the server.  It seems that just with the features that exists now, and with only half a year of events, the playing pool is growing steadily.  Too much growth is a greater danger than too little, given the current server's lack of stability.
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.