Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 9:16am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « New tournament suggestion »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   New tournament suggestion
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New tournament suggestion  (Read 675 times)
IdahoEv
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1753

New tournament suggestion
« on: Jan 30th, 2007, 2:43pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've been thinking how it's a little sad that all of our tournaments are clustered so closely together: the WC, CC, Challenge, and Postal tournament all happen in the same quarter of the year.  (Well, ok, the postal tournament goes on for a while).

In the past we've had some mid-year excitement with the EU-US match and botbash challenges.   But it still can get pretty slow around August/September most years.

So, I propose a Blitz-speed world championship tournament be held in August.    We have tourneys at 2-minute and postal, why not blitz?

Blitz is an exciting way to play, but I think it gets the short stick with no "official" competition.   It doesn't even qualify for player of the month games.   As a result, few people play blitz very often.

One of the nice things about blitz is that it's so quick that best-of-three matches are reasonable.  So I propose that the tournament have the same format as the WC (floating double elim), but each pairing can be a best-of-three blitz match, alternating color after each game, initial color determined randomly.   However, a single-elimination bracket might also be fun ... then the associated "prediction tournament" could have the same format as typical March Madness pools..  Smiley

Whatever the format, it would be interesting and fun to see if the people who are best at slow and postal play are also the best at blitz, or if instead it favors a different style of player.
IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

Re: New tournament suggestion
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31st, 2007, 5:43am »

I subscribe to your idea Idaho Smiley this would be really great.
IP Logged

arimaa_master
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2010

« Reply #2 on: Jan 31st, 2007, 6:04am »

You have my vote too  Grin
IP Logged
OLTI
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #1034

« Reply #3 on: Jan 31st, 2007, 10:30am »

I'm in too
IP Logged
PMertens
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #692

« Reply #4 on: Jan 31st, 2007, 2:41pm »

I am quite lucky we have no 2 minute tournament.

Apart from that I wish you lots of fun ...
IP Logged
IdahoEv
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1753

« Reply #5 on: Jan 31st, 2007, 3:12pm »

on Jan 31st, 2007, 2:41pm, PMertens wrote:
I am quite lucky we have no 2 minute tournament.

Apart from that I wish you lots of fun ...

Oh that's right, I guess the WC is 90 seconds/turn, not 2 minutes/turn.  It's the CC that's 2 minutes.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 31st, 2007, 9:56pm »

I will probably play in any tournament, although blitz is not my preferred time control.  We should keep in mind that any official tournaments will put an extra load on Omar to code up the tournament procedures.  Or, if we organize the tournament unofficially ourselves, we risk it ending up like the one I proposed two years ago to relieve the summer tedium:

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/forum/cgi/YaBB.cgi?board=talk;action=display;nu m=1112302914

23 of the games never got played!
IP Logged

IdahoEv
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1753

« Reply #7 on: Feb 2nd, 2007, 3:38am »

on Jan 31st, 2007, 9:56pm, Fritzlein wrote:
We should keep in mind that any official tournaments will put an extra load on Omar to code up the tournament procedures.

That's an issue I'm sensitive to - I do not want to burden Omar at all, so I would withdraw the suggestion unless it's something Omar thinks is worth the time.

I would be willing to help with the coding where necessary and possible (and I now have access to the dev server, hopefully I could use that to help.).  

Quote:
23 of the games never got played!

That's no good, for certain.  I see from the link that it actually was a blitz tournament, so I'm not the first to the idea.  Wink

« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2007, 3:39am by IdahoEv » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.