Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 10:14am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2007 Arimaa Challenge Match »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2007 Arimaa Challenge Match
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2007 Arimaa Challenge Match  (Read 4001 times)
RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

2007 Arimaa Challenge Match
« on: Jan 24th, 2007, 8:55am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Congratulations to bot_Bomb2005CC (David Fotland) for winning the 2007 Arimaa Computer World Championship and to newcomer bot_Zombie (Evan Dorn) for placing second.  bot_Bomb2005CC has earned the right to compete in the 2007 Arimaa Challenge match with bot_Zombie as the alternate.

I am pleased to announce the human defenders of the Challenge are Fritzlein (Karl Juhnke), omar (Omar Syed), and Brendan (Brendan M).  The backup human defender is naveed (Naveed Siddiqui).

The public, other than the defenders named above, is invited to play the challenger bots on the arimaa game site from January 27 through February 10.  The Challenge matches begin on February 11.  Rules for the Arimaa Challenge are posted on the arimaa game site.

Tournament Director
IP Logged
IdahoEv
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1753

Re: 2007 Arimaa Challenge Match
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24th, 2007, 12:49pm »

Quick note:  the link on the gameroom is to the 2006 challenge.

2007 Arimaa Challenge
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 24th, 2007, 1:18pm »

on Jan 24th, 2007, 8:55am, RonWeasley wrote:
bot_Bomb2005CC has earned the right to compete in the 2007 Arimaa Challenge match with bot_Zombie as the alternate.

If I'm not mistaken, Bomb has not yet qualified for the Challenge Match.  In order to qualify, Bomb has to outperform Zombie during the two weeks both of them are available for open play against humans.  In other words, Bomb and Zombie are presently on equal footing.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #3 on: Jan 24th, 2007, 11:56pm »

Unlike previous years where the winner of the computer championship earned the rights to play in the challenge match, this year the two bots which finish 1st and 2nd in the computer championship will play pre-challenge games against human opponents to determine which bot plays in the challenge match.

From the challenge match page:
Quote:

The two programs which finished first and second in the 2007 World Computer Championship will compete for the right to play in the Arimaa challenge match. The two programs will be made available online for humans to play against for a duration of two weeks. Any human player that wants to play against the programs must play both programs equally in terms of number of times and color. A human player must not play more than two times against either program and no more than one time with the same color. Thus, if a human player plays program A as gold, the player must then play program B as gold. The program which has a better record after the two weeks will go on to play in the challenge match. In case of a tie the program which won the computer championship will go on to play in the challenge match. The games will be played using the 2/2/100/10/8 time control.

This thread is where we decided to use this method for selecting which bot plays in the challenge match:
http://arimaa.com/arimaa/forum/cgi/YaBB.cgi?board=talk;action=display;nu m=1131752654;start=0

IP Logged
RonWeasley
Forum Guru

« Reply #4 on: Jan 25th, 2007, 8:34am »

Sorry I missed this intermediate qualifying step.

It seems we really want to encourage our medium-rated players to play these games so that the bots can score some occasional wins.  We all may not realize that the Challenge bots are not being quarantined.  If those bots often do an open-ended invite, that would help.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 27th, 2007, 3:52pm »

Is the link "Please participate in the Arimaa Challenge bot qualifer" from the gameroom not working?  I mean, for me it is not working, because I'm not supposed to play the bots until the Challenge, but is it not working for other people as well?  I ask because some people are even playing Bomb2004CC, so tedium can't be the reason Zombie and Bomb2005CC are getting no plays so far.
IP Logged

99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #6 on: Jan 27th, 2007, 8:50pm »

I just tried, and I got this message:
"about to start game against bot_Zombie with side b x="

but nothing happened, and I couldn't find the game anywhere.
IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

toby_hudson  

« Reply #7 on: Jan 27th, 2007, 11:40pm »

Thanks for fixing it omar, but now the problem is the two bots have different time controls (the reserve is different).  Zombie appears to have the wrong control.

Ron, can I appeal to you to still count my game against Zombie?  It was still 2 min per move, and I'd rather not play it all again.
« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2007, 11:41pm by 99of9 » IP Logged
IdahoEv
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1753

« Reply #8 on: Jan 28th, 2007, 4:15am »

I have confirmed that the link correctly disallows me from playing.  Smiley
IP Logged
RonWeasley
Forum Guru

« Reply #9 on: Jan 28th, 2007, 2:43pm »

The reserve difference should be the same, but knowing how they use it, as in they really don't, I rule the games count.

Tournament Director
IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

toby_hudson  

« Reply #10 on: Jan 31st, 2007, 4:53pm »

If I'm following the games correctly, so far nobody has had a split result against the bots.  Everyone has either won both or lost both.

That means that to make this round decisive, we need more people to play.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 31st, 2007, 9:43pm »

on Jan 31st, 2007, 4:53pm, 99of9 wrote:
If I'm following the games correctly, so far nobody has had a split result against the bots.

Apparently just as you were writing that message, it became untrue: woh split his first two games.  Bomb now has a one game lead among the four completed pairs, 3-1 to 2-2.  Still, it would be nice to have as many qualifying games as possible.
IP Logged

99of9
Forum Guru

toby_hudson  

« Reply #12 on: Jan 31st, 2007, 10:35pm »

Ok great.  I also didn't realise we could play again with the opposite colours.  Maybe I'll have another bash this weekend.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #13 on: Feb 4th, 2007, 10:22am »

Hey, Omar, that "View Games" link is nice.  There were getting to be enough pairs that I was losing track of the standings.  Now it's easy to get an overview, of both complete and incomplete pairs.  With nine pairs completed, Bomb leads by two games, but if clauchau beats Bomb with the bait-and-tackle after it didn't work on Zombie, then Bomb's lead will be cut to one game.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #14 on: Feb 14th, 2007, 8:02am »

Link to the pre-challenge games for future reference.

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/wcc/2007/showBestBot.cgi
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.