Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 1:17pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « Notes about bot_Zombie in Postal Tournament »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   Notes about bot_Zombie in Postal Tournament
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Notes about bot_Zombie in Postal Tournament  (Read 3393 times)
camelback
Forum Guru

Arimaa perl monger

Re: Notes about bot_Zombie in Postal Tournament
« Reply #15 on: Apr 17th, 2007, 12:18am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Well, I'm kinda walking on a tight rope with zombie. So I would like to see if I'm fortunate enough to better the game with the current search time.

Hmm.. still a long way to go  Roll Eyes
If not now, it may take a while for me to get better at zombie Smiley
IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #16 on: Apr 17th, 2007, 1:59am »

on Apr 16th, 2007, 10:33pm, Fritzlein wrote:
Hmm... I just looked at the discussion of the 2005 Postal Tournament and found a couple of interesting quotes.  Wink

Hehe... I'll have to practice my rhetoric before I become a politician.  Scientists are allowed to change their mind every couple of years Smiley.
IP Logged
seanick
Forum Guru

SeaNICK

seanick
Email

« Reply #17 on: May 14th, 2007, 10:09am »

for the record, zombie made an awesome comeback in its game vs me, to win. Sure, I made my usual larger-than-fair share of mistakes, but it played quite decently too, at the end.  

I imagine the playing strength didn't actually change, but if it did, it was successful.  

this was based off of Fairy, wasn't it?  seems a bit stronger but then again, I lost to fairy the first time I played it too.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #18 on: Jun 2nd, 2007, 10:54am »

It looks like the machine running Zombie has crashed.  If IdahoEv doesn't restart it in a couple of days, I will start running Zombie from my laptop, in order to finish off Zombie's last four games.  I might run it at eight hours per move to compensate for my laptop being an antique.
IP Logged

IdahoEv
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1753

« Reply #19 on: Jun 11th, 2007, 1:11pm »

Fortunately I got it running before I left for the weekend - the problem was a bad power strip, the circuit breaker kept blowing.
IP Logged
camelback
Forum Guru

Arimaa perl monger

« Reply #20 on: Jun 16th, 2007, 6:57pm »

Is zombie server crashed again?  
It used to make moves quickly but it's idling for more than 3 days now.
IP Logged
IdahoEv
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1753

« Reply #21 on: Jun 20th, 2007, 5:47am »

Yes, the server had apparently gone down ... cause unknown, the power was still flowing.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #22 on: Aug 7th, 2007, 2:18pm »

What happened to Zombie's last postal tournament game, versus woh?  It doesn't appear in the ongoing postal games, but it also doesn't appear in the completed games of either player.
IP Logged

camelback
Forum Guru

Arimaa perl monger

« Reply #23 on: Aug 7th, 2007, 4:59pm »

Yeah, Strange. I saw until move 50 and it needed few more moves to finish the game.
IP Logged
IdahoEv
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1753

« Reply #24 on: Aug 7th, 2007, 5:38pm »

The logs look like the bot was running happily on my server, but terminated when it couldn't find an active game.   Fritz, it looks like you tried restarting it just in case, am I right?
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #25 on: Aug 7th, 2007, 6:54pm »

No, I didn't try restarting Zombie.  I figured if I couldn't see the game, Zombie probably couldn't either.  I just wondered if the game somehow finished without being recorded.
« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2007, 6:54pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

woh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2128

« Reply #26 on: Aug 8th, 2007, 6:14am »

Not sure what happened with my game against bot_Zombie. After I was trying out some moves in the plan window, the game disappeared somehow. I told Omar about the problem and he was able to recover the game.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #27 on: Aug 8th, 2007, 9:48pm »

Well, anyway, it is clear that you have recovered from your earlier scare, woh.  Assuming you win this game, Zombie will have a final score of 1 win and 14 losses.  I confess I underestimated our human contingent, particularly in that nobody on the human side timed out.  Also in the play I was impressed how both camelback and woh came back from material deficits.

Against opponents rated 1672, 1685, 1707, 1743, 1743, 1958, 1996, 1996, 2005, 2046, 2046, 2076, 2089, 2263, and 2263, a record of 1-14 is a performance rating of 1409.  That is to say, a player with a rating of 1409 would be expected to win exactly one game against this competition, according to the rating formula.

This is a rather pale showing for Zombie compared to Bomb's performance rating of 1716 in the 2005 Postal tournament, with a record of 4 wins and 6 losses.  I don't think the difference can be chalked up to rating deflation, i.e. the notion that a 1700 player back then would be rated less than 1700 today.  On the contrary, I expect that if Bomb2005 enters the next postal tournament, it will have a performance rating around 1700 all over again.

Nor do I think the difference can be due to the hardware running Bomb versus the hardware running Zombie, especially since Zombie thought for twice as long as Bomb.

On the contrary, it seems that Bomb simply has a decent grasp of strategy, particularly of trap control.  Whether this is due to the quiescence search or other factors, I don't know.  Also, Zombie's willingness to rush with rabbits and camel may be scarier in a live game than in a postal game; Bomb's defensive style is more suited to slow games.

I'm afraid that this shows not only that Zombie has a long way to go to challenge humans, but also that Zombie has a long way to go to challenge Bomb.  Sad  Furthermore, as long as Bomb remains strongest without improvements, Fotland will probably not devote time to making Bomb better.  Sad Sad
IP Logged

woh
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2128

« Reply #28 on: Aug 15th, 2007, 6:59am »

on Aug 8th, 2007, 9:48pm, Fritzlein wrote:
Well, anyway, it is clear that you have recovered from your earlier scare, woh.

Things sure weren't looking bright for me at some point in the game. I was lucky to come out on top.

It looks like Zombie shouldn't hang on to a framed rabbit as long as he is. In both my PT games against Zombie I was able to capture 3 or 4 rabbits while Zombie was unwilling to give up the framed rabbit.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #29 on: Aug 15th, 2007, 7:30am »

It was a treat to have a bot playing in the postal tournament again.  If nothing else it shows that bots really do beat us because of short-term tactics that we overlook, and when it comes to strategy, bots have very little clue.  Arimaa makes me feel good about my mental faculties compared to silicon, even though I expect it is just a matter of time before the machines pass me up.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.