Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 5:20am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2008 WC T-shirts now available »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2008 WC T-shirts now available
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2008 WC T-shirts now available  (Read 802 times)
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

2008 WC T-shirts now available
« on: Apr 9th, 2008, 9:51pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've setup a shop on Cafepress.com with various Arimaa gear including the 2008 WC T-shirts. I order a T-shirt and golf shirt from them many months ago and tried it out. The quality of the material and the printing was very good.

http://cafepress.com/arimaa/
« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2008, 9:52pm by omar » IP Logged
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

Re: 2008 WC T-shirts now available
« Reply #1 on: Apr 10th, 2008, 9:42am »

Would it be possible to have the Arimaa T-Shirt available in ash grey and even better with the image placement of the golf shirt?

Janzert
IP Logged
aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #2 on: Apr 10th, 2008, 9:59am »

Why particularly that board position?

[EDIT]
Oops! Those shirts are misprinted. That board position is from before move 34, not 39!
[/EDIT]
« Last Edit: Apr 10th, 2008, 10:07am by aaaa » IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #3 on: Apr 10th, 2008, 10:45pm »

Janzert, cafepress won't let me use the same product with different images without getting a premium subscription. But it does let me use the same account to create another store front and reuse the products again. Is this what you had in mind.

http://cafepress.com/arimaa2/

Also added a somewhat gray T-shirt in the main shop with the logo on the pocket.

Aaaa, thanks for spotting that. I let Aamir pick the position and create the design for the WC T-shirts. I should have double checked the move number. Will get it fixed soon.
« Last Edit: Apr 10th, 2008, 10:55pm by omar » IP Logged
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #4 on: Apr 10th, 2008, 10:48pm »

Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking. Should I order from that link or wait a bit?

Janzert
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #5 on: Apr 11th, 2008, 12:25am »

I've changed the image on the WC T-shirt to my favorite position of the game; move 45b. And also fixed the caption to match the position.

What if silver would have pushed the gold cat with the elephant instead of the camel and advanced the rabbit; would the game have turned out differently?

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/games/jsShowGame.cgi?gid=72946&s=w
« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2008, 12:28am by omar » IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 11th, 2008, 7:02pm »

on Apr 11th, 2008, 12:25am, omar wrote:
What if silver would have pushed the gold cat with the elephant instead of the camel and advanced the rabbit; would the game have turned out differently?

Do you mean 45b ed3w Cc4n ec3n rd4s or do you mean 45b ed3w Cc4w ec3n rd4s?  The former seems totally losing for Silver, while the latter is totally unclear.  [EDIT: actually, on further inspection, the latter seems good for Silver, so that must have been what you meant.]  The importance of the step you didn't specify shows how the position turns on a dime, which was perhaps exactly your point.  As I replay the game, it seems both chessandgo and I made huge mistakes, particularly towards the end.  In retrospect, I was very lucky to win.  We're going to have to be a lot better than we are now to play an endgame that commentators can't tear to pieces after the fact.

« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2008, 9:16pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #7 on: Apr 11th, 2008, 7:45pm »

Are there any humans in your opinion that stand out as good endgame players?
« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2008, 7:45pm by aaaa » IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #8 on: Apr 11th, 2008, 9:14pm »

on Apr 11th, 2008, 7:45pm, aaaa wrote:
Are there any humans in your opinion that stand out as good endgame players?

I think attack-oriented players are naturally better at the endgame.  Robinson was leading the curve, but nowadays chessandgo is definitely at the head of the class, as far as I can tell from my own limited understanding.  I still think far too much about capture even when the position calls for direct goal attack.

Just now Bomb tells me that, the move before chessandgo could have poured on the pressure with 45b ed3w Cc4w ec3n rd4s, but didn't, I had blundered with 45w Mc4n Mc5e Cc3n Cg7s.  If instead I had played 45w Mc4n Mc5e Rf4n Cg7s, leaving my cat hanging in the trap, it would have been a forced goal in three.  I would like to think that it's not so much that chessandgo and I were playing badly as that Arimaa is a very rich and difficult game.
« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2008, 9:21pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #9 on: Apr 12th, 2008, 1:17am »

Actually I was thinking of pushing the cat north, and it seemed unclear to me from there. But you and Bomb are right pushing it west seems better.

Quote:

If instead I had played 45w Mc4n Mc5e Rf4n Cg7s, leaving my cat hanging in the trap, it would have been a forced goal in three.

Wow, nice find. That would make a nice puzzle. In a live game though such a move would on the surface seem too risky to attempt and would probably not be considered.

IP Logged
chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #10 on: Apr 13th, 2008, 6:00am »

on Apr 9th, 2008, 9:51pm, omar wrote:
I've setup a shop on Cafepress.com with various Arimaa gear including the 2008 WC T-shirts. I order a T-shirt and golf shirt from them many months ago and tried it out. The quality of the material and the printing was very good.

http://cafepress.com/arimaa/

I love'em Smiley Ordered a few, hoping not to be mislead by standard sizes. I'm a bit startled by the statement that a guy 1m83 tall and weigthing 80 kilos (if I converted right) was fitting in a "Small" shirt ... Are you americans all built like football players ? Smiley Here in Europe this type of guy would easily qualify for "Large" wearing ...

Not sure looking at the position on the WC T-shirt will make me feel great, but well Smiley

In any case it's great that you created this shop, Omar. Having people wearing arimaa stuff seems a perfect ad for arimaa to me.
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #11 on: Apr 13th, 2008, 8:52am »

on Apr 11th, 2008, 9:14pm, Fritzlein wrote:

If instead I had played 45w Mc4n Mc5e Rf4n Cg7s, leaving my cat hanging in the trap, it would have been a forced goal in three.

Yes indeed, I had been expecting this move iirc, and suddently got a rush of hope when you played your 45w. And finally I didn't play r to d3 as Omar and yourself suggest, because I thought you had a defense forcing goal (iirc) ... but with which move ? I just cannot find it again Smiley

Or maybe I only considered m to c4 and e to e3, which doesn't work. In any case my 45b was the worst move Sad

on Apr 11th, 2008, 7:02pm, Fritzlein wrote:

Do you mean 45b ed3w Cc4n ec3n rd4s or do you mean 45b ed3w Cc4w ec3n rd4s?  The former seems totally losing for Silver, while the latter is totally unclear.  [EDIT: actually, on further inspection, the latter seems good for Silver, so that must have been what you meant.]  

I can't see what gold plays after the first move. What is your winning line, Karl ? Why is the second move better than the first one ?
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #12 on: Apr 13th, 2008, 9:48am »

on Apr 13th, 2008, 8:52am, chessandgo wrote:
I can't see what gold plays after the first move. What is your winning line, Karl ? Why is the second move better than the first one ?

In both cases I can't find a better move for Gold than 46w Ee4s rd3n Ee3w Rf4w.

After  

45b ed3w Cc4n ec3n rd4s
46w Ee4s rd3n Ee3w Rf4w

Gold's goal threat on the h-file is so strong it decides the game, I think, but after

45b ed3w Cc4w ec3n rd4s
46w Ee4s rd3n Ee3w Rf4w
46b ec4n ec5s Md5w hd6e

Silver seems in good shape.  The difference is the one extra step by the silver horse.  I can't take credit for this analysis, though; I needed Bomb to show me the difference.
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2008, 9:49am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

« Reply #13 on: Apr 13th, 2008, 10:01am »

oh, nice. Thanks for this analysis. This is definitely not what I had seen. I guess I had dreamt something like 46w Md5s rd3w Md4s Ra2e, or maybe even not considered this 45b at all Sad
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.