Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 4:19am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2009 Arimaa Events »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2009 Arimaa Events
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2009 Arimaa Events  (Read 4171 times)
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

Re: 2009 Arimaa Events
« Reply #45 on: Dec 14th, 2008, 6:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

From lines 751-755 it appears that currently games with opposite color assignments are given equal weights. But without understanding the full pairing algorithm I'm not sure if it's safe to just change the weighting function (get_game_penalty line:1016) to take into account side and rewrite the loop to assign separate values.

I don't currently have C++ compiler setup or I'd try it out and see what happens, maybe I can do that soon anyway.

Janzert
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #46 on: Dec 15th, 2008, 1:15pm »

on Dec 14th, 2008, 6:14pm, Janzert wrote:
From lines 751-755 it appears that currently games with opposite color assignments are given equal weights. But without understanding the full pairing algorithm I'm not sure if it's safe to just change the weighting function (get_game_penalty line:1016) to take into account side and rewrite the loop to assign separate values.

If the game penalty is used to assign color, then the code is horrendously designed, because considering A vs B as a different pairing than B vs A causes the number of possible pairings to increase exponentially.  In a 16-player tournament, there will be 2^8 times as many possible pairings.  The branch-and-bound method is sometimes fast in spite of having to search an exponential number of possibilities, but it is asking for trouble not to prune the input space as much as possible beforehand.

The pairings should be assigned based on the game_penalty values (irrespective of color), and then after the optimal pairing is found, the colors within pairings should be assigned as optimally as possible in a separate pass.  Now that I think about it, I don't recall ever seeing the color assignment code, so for all I know there is no such code and color assignment is random!  (or more likely deterministic in a bad way, such as lower pairing number always plays Gold)
« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2008, 1:20pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #47 on: Dec 15th, 2008, 2:02pm »

Ok, having looked at it some more. I don't think the current code takes into account color at all. Fritzlein is right, it does assume that a pair is the same whichever player is player 1 or player 2. The current program is just saying it should be player x vs. player y for the final output and wasn't meant to imply color assignment.

Janzert
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #48 on: Dec 15th, 2008, 10:44pm »

Thanks guys. That makes sense. No wonder I couldn't find any code for color assignment Smiley

So, I'll probably have to take the output from Paul's program and run it through another program to do the color assignment. Thanks.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #49 on: Dec 18th, 2008, 5:23pm »

Sixteen players are now registered for the World Championship, which guarantees at least five rounds of preliminaries.  Yay!
IP Logged

aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #50 on: Jan 2nd, 2009, 6:05am »

Is it normal that there are no registrations yet for the Computer Championship with only one month to go before the deadline?
« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2009, 8:13am by aaaa » IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #51 on: Jan 2nd, 2009, 6:27pm »

The World Championship registration deadline has passed, so I assume the 18 players currently registered are the field for the preliminary, and there will be five preliminary rounds.  When are the ratings fixed for seeding the preliminary rounds?
IP Logged

99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #52 on: Jan 2nd, 2009, 10:55pm »

on Jan 2nd, 2009, 6:05am, aaaa wrote:
Is it normal that there are no registrations yet for the Computer Championship with only one month to go before the deadline?

Perhaps you should enter bot_quad and get a win by default?  Smiley
IP Logged
Tuks
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2626

« Reply #53 on: Jan 3rd, 2009, 4:47am »

today at 6, exactly 24 hours after registration ends...that's what it says anyway
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.