Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 5:08am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2009 Arimaa Challenge »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2009 Arimaa Challenge
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  8 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2009 Arimaa Challenge  (Read 7811 times)
RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

2009 Arimaa Challenge
« on: Mar 12th, 2009, 4:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The Arimaa Challenge begins soon with the finalists from the WCC vying for the right to face the best humans and try for a large monitary prize.

As this year's tournament director I am please to announce bot_clueless and bot_GnoBot are the challengers.  The best performer in the screening games will challenge the defenders in separate three game matches.

I am especially pleased and grateful to announce this year's defenders:  arimaa_master, chessandgo, and Fritzlein.  Playing a three game match at the long time control and with the pressure associated with defending the honor humanity is a significant undertaking.  I thank each of these top players for taking on the task.

Please see the game room for links to the Challenge and enjoy rooting for your favorite bot or human.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

Re: 2009 Arimaa Challenge
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13th, 2009, 7:23am »

Thanks for the announcement Ron and also thanks for accepting to be the TD for the this years events.

The screening period will begin Mar 14th and continue up to Mar 28th. All human players are encouraged to play the best bots of the computer championship during this time. These will be some tough games. Have fun Smiley

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/challenge/2009/playBestBots.cgi

Also I would like to thank the challenge defenders for accepting the responsibility of defending the Arimaa challenge. I have full trust and confidence that you will do your level best as representatives for humanity. In the next few weeks the future of Arimaa will lie in your hands. I wish you the best of luck.

IP Logged
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #2 on: Mar 13th, 2009, 9:05am »

Are there any backup defenders this year?

Janzert
IP Logged
Tuks
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2626

« Reply #3 on: Mar 13th, 2009, 9:38am »

well, im glad we aren't going to lose any games this year Smiley with the best humans defending  
 Grin

goodluck to Gnobot and Clueless
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 13th, 2009, 2:42pm »

on Mar 13th, 2009, 9:05am, Janzert wrote:
Are there any backup defenders this year?

Omar is the backup again this year.
IP Logged

aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #5 on: Mar 14th, 2009, 2:15am »

Can anyone establish what happened in my preliminary game against Clueless? If Clueless itself is not to blame for the timeout, then I think it deserves the point. So consider this my virtual resignation of any hypothetical resumption of the game from the last position.
IP Logged
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #6 on: Mar 14th, 2009, 3:07am »

From my quick glance at the logs it seems like Clueless thought for a second or two longer than the time it actually had left. Clueless' log itself looks like 122.95 seconds and the network log 124 seconds, the reserve was only 2 seconds at the start of the move.

Janzert
IP Logged
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #7 on: Mar 14th, 2009, 3:12am »

I also just noticed the preliminary games are running with an unlimited reserve timecontrol (2/2/100/0/8) instead of the 10 minute limit (2/2/100/10/8).

Janzert
« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2009, 3:13am by Janzert » IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 14th, 2009, 6:24am »

To quote jdb from chat:

Quote:
there is no limit on both the move time and the reserve allowed
the time control logic will not handle this
it looks like clueless will always use a little reserve each move and eventually run out of time

Since the  2m/2m/100/0/8h time control has directly compromised at least one game outcome, and since all games were played under the incorrect time control, it seems to me that the fairest solution is to invalidate all games played so far and restart the screening period from scratch.
IP Logged

99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #9 on: Mar 14th, 2009, 6:34am »

I consent to a restart, it seems like the obvious thing to do.
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #10 on: Mar 14th, 2009, 7:22am »

I made a mistake when setting up the time controls for the screening period games. The reserve limit should have been capped at 10 minutes but was set to unlimited. I have fixed it now. I also shifted the time frame for the screening period to start at Mar 14 16:00:00 2009 GMT and run until Mar 28 16:00:00 2009 GMT. So any games that were played will not be counted. Sorry about the goofup.

I didn't think this required approval from the TD since it wasn't a situation where there seemed to be any choice about how to correct it. Besides I've been bothering the TD too much lately Smiley
« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2009, 7:28am by omar » IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

toby_hudson  

« Reply #11 on: Mar 14th, 2009, 5:27pm »

on Mar 14th, 2009, 7:22am, omar wrote:
I didn't think this required approval from the TD since it wasn't a situation where there seemed to be any choice about how to correct it.

If the time control cap had not significantly affected either bot, nor the humans, I would have argued for the games to be counted.  But in this case there was the additional point that Clueless played dramatically differently, so all parties were agreed with the restart.
IP Logged
99of9
Forum Guru

toby_hudson  

« Reply #12 on: Mar 14th, 2009, 5:29pm »

Omar, please don't forget to run the postanalysis.sh script every day or so.  I notice that it hasn't run since Thursday (the last CC game).
IP Logged
aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #13 on: Mar 15th, 2009, 12:15am »

Clueless timed out on me again!
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #14 on: Mar 15th, 2009, 12:32pm »

on Mar 14th, 2009, 5:29pm, 99of9 wrote:
Omar, please don't forget to run the postanalysis.sh script every day or so.  I notice that it hasn't run since Thursday (the last CC game).

I ran it today aroun 12pm MST. I'll try to run it about this time everyday. If you notice I didn't run it till 12:30 pm ping me.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  8 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.