Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 20th, 2024, 10:33pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2010 Challenge Screening »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2010 Challenge Screening
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2010 Challenge Screening  (Read 3587 times)
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

2010 Challenge Screening
« on: Mar 13th, 2010, 9:55am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm going to start a thread specific to the screening, partly so we can dissect the game results and discuss any technical issues that arise, and partly so that I will be able to extend the following table and find it next year:

Year  Pairs  Decisive  Winner/Score  Loser/Score
----  -----  --------  ------------  -----------
2007     12    .    2    . Bomb / 2   Zombie / 0  
2008     16    .    7    . Bomb / 6    Sharp / 1
2009     23    .    7  Clueless / 5   GnoBot / 2
« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2010, 4:29pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

Re: 2010 Challenge Screening
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13th, 2010, 3:13pm »

I just now tried to play a screening game, and I get the message
Quote:
Sorry the server is currently busy.

bot

However, bot_clueless vs. Hippo is the only screening game at present.  The other server should be available.  What's up with that?

IP Logged

aaaa
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #958

« Reply #2 on: Mar 13th, 2010, 3:29pm »

I got the same message and after I pointed this out to Omar, he fixed it for me.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 14th, 2010, 9:10pm »

In honor of marwin's winning the first decisive pair of games of the 2010 screening, I have updated the table to add a row for this year.  Also I have included performance ratings for each bot for each year over all screening games played (i.e. not just over the paired games)

Year  Pairs  Decisive  Winner / Score / Perf  Loser / Score / Perf
----  -----  --------  ---------------------  --------------------
2007     12    .    2    . bomb / 2 / 2087    . Zombie / 0 / 1876  
2008     16    .    7    . bomb / 6 / 1918    .  sharp / 1 / 1576
2009     23    .    7  clueless / 5 / 1910    . GnoBot / 2 / 1792
2010     25    .   11    marwin / 6 / 2065    clueless / 5 / 1960

The performance rating is perhaps not very reliable.  Bomb in 2008 and clueless in 2009 had similar performance ratings from the screening, but bomb went 0-9 in the Challenge whereas clueless went 2-7.  We shouldn't read too much into marwin's impressive 4-3 start in the screening.

[EDIT]
updated through game 139910 (including joe's game 138003; not including hanzack's games or quad's)
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2010, 7:05am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #4 on: Mar 15th, 2010, 4:45am »

Without going into a lot of detail, I'm going to use a gut reaction and allow joe to replay the game against bot_marwin that he resigned by mistake on move 3.  I'm not sure about the precedent this sets, but it seems like human confusion was the root cause.  If this were a WC game I would rule that the result must stand, but the screening games are all about getting information about bots' playing ability against humans.  Forcing this result to stand would be counter to that purpose.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 23rd, 2010, 8:38pm »

In my week-long absence the race tightened up.  Marwin now leads only 3-2 in decisive pairs, and has an unpaired loss to novacat.  The screen, like the Computer Championship, could go down to the wire.

I have updated the table in my previous post.  The screening performance ratings of marwin and clueless are now 2036 and 1977 respectively, rather in line with my gut feeling about their true abilities under Challenge conditions.
IP Logged

Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 25th, 2010, 6:47am »

Wow, clueless's win over novacat brings the match all square, 3-3 in the six decisive pairs.  This is as exciting as the Computer Championship itself!  I hope we have several more pairs completed before the month is over, starting with onigawara, 722caasi, camelback, Simon, The_Jeh, joe, and clauchau finishing the pairs they started.  Marwin's performance rating in my table is still slightly higher than clueless's because of incomplete pairs slightly favoring marwin overall.
« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2010, 6:53am by Fritzlein » IP Logged

camelback
Forum Guru

Arimaa perl monger

« Reply #7 on: Mar 25th, 2010, 12:43pm »

I'm not going to play at 2 min control anymore. It was tempting to play new bots but annoying to get dragged beyond 4 hours. At last I had to leave while in winning position and can't unrate.

May be there should be different time control options in the future for bot screening.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 25th, 2010, 2:37pm »

At one point I was in favor of different time controls, but I changed my mind.  The screening time controls should be the same as the challenge time controls, and those should not change.

I like that Omar hasn't changed the rules of the Arimaa Challenge for several years now, including the time controls.  People who try to meet AI challenges always have to face the "moving goalposts" syndrome, i.e. whenever they get close to humans, the match conditions change to make it more favorable to humans.  I was upset when Omar changed the Arimaa Challenge to require beating three out of three defenders, since that is harder than just beating one defender.  By the same token I don't want to have faster time controls now when humans don't mind and then change to slower time controls later when we need it.  It's not fair to base the match conditions on what is most convenient for humans at the moment.

Besides, it turns out that we are having an awesome screening at two minutes per move.  Since I last wrote, The_Jeh and onigawara completed pairs, moving the score to 4-4, still tied!  I somehow feel we won't know  until the very last day which bot will advance.
« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2010, 2:38pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #9 on: Mar 26th, 2010, 1:37am »

I can't see the link to play the screening bots anymore.  Can someone help me?
IP Logged
Nombril
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #4509

Email

« Reply #10 on: Mar 26th, 2010, 3:15am »

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/challenge/2010/playBestBots.cgi

For me, on some browsers/computers it seems a few of the announcements disappear after I have viewed them once.  Don't know if this is happening to you.
IP Logged

99of9
Forum Guru

Gnobby's creator (player #314)

toby_hudson  

« Reply #11 on: Mar 26th, 2010, 4:42am »

Thanks Nombril.  I hope I get some more free nights to take revenge on marwin.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #12 on: Mar 29th, 2010, 5:52am »

How exciting!  Rabbits' punchout of marwin gave clueless the lead for all of 83 minutes before Eltripas downed clueless to even the score at 5-5 again.  Just two and a half days left in this thriller...
IP Logged

knarl
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1648

« Reply #13 on: Mar 29th, 2010, 4:34pm »

I have plans to try a reckless race game against marwin again, after almost winning (is there such a thing in arimaa? Smiley) last time. I just need to find time so I can play both bots before the deadline.

I watched marwin's defeat to rabbits yesterday. Talk about putting up a death struggle at the end!

Cheers,
knarl.
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #14 on: Mar 29th, 2010, 4:48pm »

on Mar 29th, 2010, 4:34pm, knarl wrote:
I have plans to try a reckless race game against marwin again, after almost winning (is there such a thing in arimaa? Smiley) last time.

Heheh.  Your game against marwin reminds me of something I once heard a chess player say: "He creamed me, but just barely!"  Smiley
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.