Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 19th, 2024, 7:10am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 1st Arimaa Online Festival »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   1st Arimaa Online Festival
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  15 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 1st Arimaa Online Festival  (Read 20143 times)
megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

1st Arimaa Online Festival
« on: Jun 19th, 2010, 5:23am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Dear Fellow Community Members,

After consultation with Omar, there's an exciting idea I have to run past you all. With a bit of help we can make this a reality:

The first ever ARIMAA ONLINE FESTIVAL, a special day of events and activities.

Because we'll all have several months' notice, more of us will be likely to make it. So events like live blitz tournaments should get more participation. Also, we should be able to generate some publicity. Arimaa.com is available 24/7, but telling people we have a special event planned should get us some more attention.

And if all goes well we may be able to plan more of these things in the future.

------

So, that's the idea. Now to the details.

Of course, everybody's input is most welcome. However, I'd be very grateful of some "co-organizers." If you have some time and you'd like to help please say so and we'll divide the tasks and collaborate on the final decisions.

Also in this thread, I'd like to get your feedback on the following topics (I'm numbering them so we can refer to each topic by number in our replies.)

1. Date. My own favourite date would be a Sunday 12th of September. I could make it for the 5th, but after the 12th I'm away until the 17th of October. Saturdays are harder but doable.

2. Events.  
2a. Of course, a blitz tournament. Maybe only 4 or 5 rounds depending on what else we plan.
2b. Simultaneous games with present and former world champions.
2c. Collaborative games, where we set up two teams who debate their moves on two separate Teamspeak channels
2d. Scheduled discussions. The first thing that comes to mind is perhaps an interview with Omar as the creator of the game, maybe reminiscing how Arimaa got started etc. This might be good for general Arimaa publicity.
2e. Strategy workshops. An Arimaa expert gives a workshop over Teamspeak about certain aspects of strategy or chats with fellow players about significant past games.

3. Live Coverage I was thinking it would be exciting to provide commentary, interviews, discussions etc. using Teamspeak throughout the day. After talking with Omar it seems relatively simple to connect the Teamspeak feed to a webcast, so somebody who enters the gameroom could just click on a link and listen in. I would probably be able to moderate for the beginning (because I'm GMT+3) but towards the middle and the end I would need some help. Any volunteers?

4. Schedule Considering that we want to appeal audiences both sides of the pond, I had come up with the following hazy schedule:

Start: Around noon CET
-Simul with Jean Daligault
-European Collaborative  
-Blitz Tourney (timed to start after California's woken up)
-Interviews/Workshops
-Simul with Karl Juhnke (by this point it's quite late in Europe, but a decent time for all time zones in the US)
-American Collaborative
Finish: Evening EST

5. Publicity & Advertising Marketing expertise will come in handy here. Both ideas on how to get the maximum exposure possible, and volunteers to design logos and publicity materials etc.

Phew! That was a longer post than I expected. Smiley
All your comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
IP Logged

chessandgo
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1889

Re: 1st Arimaa Online Festival
« Reply #1 on: Jun 19th, 2010, 5:33am »

Hey, sounds great! I think I should be available the 12th of September, but I'm not sure yet.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #2 on: Jun 19th, 2010, 6:57am »

I think this event would be a great way to get pepped up before the registrations for the yearly championships and spectator contest begin.

I'll be glad to do an interview. I also like the idea of having some workshops to discuss Arimaa concepts and strategies. And I will definitely participate in the simuls and take a crack a beating the top players Smiley
IP Logged
Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #3 on: Jun 19th, 2010, 9:15am »

My 0.02 Euros.  

If there could be something scheduled on teamspeak all day long that would be a great plus. It always makes things more interesting when you hear people actually talk about it, that is people from both sides of the pond could alternatively take a crack at it.

What I mean is that if there was something to talk about or to listen to, you’d definitely get my attention in a big way.
IP Logged
Nevermind
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #3181

« Reply #4 on: Jun 19th, 2010, 9:29am »

I think this is an absolutely great idea. The strategy workshops sound particularly interesting. I guess the central "hub" of the event would be the chatroom, and teamspeak used for the various discussion events.
IP Logged
FireBorn
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1832

« Reply #5 on: Jun 19th, 2010, 10:03am »

Awesome, love the idea. Let's do it
IP Logged
leo
Forum Guru

« Reply #6 on: Jun 20th, 2010, 9:02am »

It sounds great! And if there's enough people we might even need additional Teamspeak channels in other languages than English.
IP Logged
Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #7 on: Jun 20th, 2010, 10:04am »

on Jun 20th, 2010, 9:02am, leo wrote:
It sounds great! And if there's enough people we might even need additional Teamspeak channels in other languages than English.

The one channel we have is barely used as it is...
IP Logged
RonWeasley
Forum Guru

Harry's friend (Arimaa player #441)

« Reply #8 on: Jun 21st, 2010, 5:11am »

on Jun 19th, 2010, 10:03am, FireBorn wrote:
Awesome, love the idea. Let's do it

And it is the will of Landru.
IP Logged
leo
Forum Guru

« Reply #9 on: Jun 21st, 2010, 12:45pm »

@Arimabuff: I hope it would be different during the festival.
In normal times I would avoid voice chatting at 2am ^^
IP Logged
Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #10 on: Jun 21st, 2010, 9:36pm »

on Jun 21st, 2010, 5:11am, RonWeasley wrote:

And it is the will of Landru.

The man who killed women and then burned their bodies in his stove?
IP Logged
megajester
Forum Guru

Istanbul, Turkey

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jun 22nd, 2010, 2:22am »

I think Ron is talking about some mind-controlling computer from Star Trek....

Annnnnyway to get back to the main topic: I think we've established the Festival is a good idea, so we can start working out the practicalities. Is there anybody willing to help out with one or more of the numbered points?
IP Logged

Arimabuff
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2764

« Reply #12 on: Jun 22nd, 2010, 7:33am »

on Jun 22nd, 2010, 2:22am, megajester wrote:
I think Ron is talking about some mind-controlling computer from Star Trek....

I've seen that episode, that was Jack the Ripper. Same kind of guy though...
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #13 on: Jun 22nd, 2010, 2:55pm »

on Jun 22nd, 2010, 2:22am, megajester wrote:
Annnnnyway to get back to the main topic: I think we've established the Festival is a good idea, so we can start working out the practicalities. Is there anybody willing to help out with one or more of the numbered points?

It looks like I have already been volunteered for a couple of the numbered points, and that is great as far as I am concerned.  Smiley  I can't plan ahead as far as September 12, but there is nothing on my calendar now that would stop me from participating, and I can defend that day against other commitments.

I'm happy to give a simul in the North American afternoon, but I would like to cap the ratings of the participants to 1900.  The point of a simul is quantity, and if the festival is at all well-attended, I should have no trouble getting more opponents than I can handle even with a cap in place.

You have a workshop scheduled for before the simul.  The most straightforward thing for me to do for that would be to pick a game, analyze it before hand, and then discuss it with whoever shows up.  I would hope the discussion could be a lot more interactive than my regular live commentary, because I wouldn't have to keep up with the action.  We could go through the game as slowly or quickly as the participants wanted to, spending more time wherever there were more questions.

I guess ideally I should pick the game well in advance, so that extra-assiduous participants could also study and think of questions in advance.  Maybe my 2009 Postal Mixer game against Adanac.

Do we have the ability to have spectators of a plan window?  It would greatly help the discussion if I didn't just have to replay the actual moves while everything else was merely talked about rather than displayed.  Hmmm... seems we need a bit of additional infrastructure to make a workshop run smoothly.
« Last Edit: Jun 22nd, 2010, 3:38pm by Fritzlein » IP Logged

knarl
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1648

« Reply #14 on: Jun 22nd, 2010, 8:13pm »

on Jun 19th, 2010, 5:23am, megajester wrote:

1. Date. My own favourite date would be a Sunday 12th of September. I could make it for the 5th, but after the 12th I'm away until the 17th of October. Saturdays are harder but doable.

You say Saturdays are doable; I would say that a Saturday would be better for a good turn out, because more people in leading timezones will be able to stay up later on a Saturday.

Obviously I'm biased, becaused I'm at GMT+10, and I have to work on monday 13th Sep, so a 9pm sunday start isn't ideal. But a saturday would be ok. Other people must be in the same boat?

Cheers,
knarl.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  ...  15 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.