Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 29th, 2024, 11:06pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
Arimaa Forum « 2011 Computer Championship »

Arimaa Forum
   Arimaa
   Events
(Moderator: supersamu)
   2011 Computer Championship
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2011 Computer Championship  (Read 4157 times)
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

2011 Computer Championship
« on: Jan 3rd, 2011, 7:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The qualifying period for bots is underway during the month of January. Bot developers should have their bots play against the benchmark bots.

Please keep in mind that when event games are in progress the bots on the server will be turned off. Start early so that you have enough time to complete all the games.

Also please try not to start more than one CC or Fast bot so that the server is not overloaded. If someone already has a CC or Fast bot running, don't start another CC or Fast bot.

Since there are 8 bots entered this year all bots will be in the WCC tournament and the qualifying period will determine the seeding for the bots. Best of luck.
IP Logged
rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

Re: 2011 Computer Championship
« Reply #1 on: Jan 3rd, 2011, 8:09pm »

on Jan 3rd, 2011, 7:33pm, omar wrote:

Please keep in mind that when event games are in progress the bots on the server will be turned off. Start early so that you have enough time to complete all the games.

Also please try not to start more than one CC or Fast bot so that the server is not overloaded. If someone already has a CC or Fast bot running, don't start another CC or Fast bot.

I will try to follow this requirement, but it may be hard to get many games done if only one CC/Fast bot can be running. Very often there are people playing these bots, especially now that some are trying to beat the advanced bot ladder.
« Last Edit: Jan 3rd, 2011, 8:11pm by rbarreira » IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #2 on: Jan 5th, 2011, 12:29am »

on Jan 3rd, 2011, 8:09pm, rbarreira wrote:

I will try to follow this requirement, but it may be hard to get many games done if only one CC/Fast bot can be running. Very often there are people playing these bots, especially now that some are trying to beat the advanced bot ladder.

Yes, this is going to be a bit problematic. I also have to run the qualifying games for the bots which have not changed since last year.
IP Logged
rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #3 on: Jan 5th, 2011, 6:03am »

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/wcc/2011/qual.htm

This is a nice link to see the qualification status. It seems to be missing a game between bot_marwin and bot_Sharp2010Blitz though (or maybe it's not updated very often?).
IP Logged
Fritzlein
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #706

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 5th, 2011, 8:39am »

It's very considerate behavior to get in your qualifying games early.  Last year we found that there wasn't enough incentive to start early, compared to the hope that some last-minute improvements would strengthen the bot and increase its score for starting later.  Hopefully, even though the incentives seem tilted towards a later start, enough developers will be good citizens and start qualifying early to avoid a last-minute rush and the consequent server overload.
IP Logged

omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #5 on: Jan 5th, 2011, 11:35am »

on Jan 5th, 2011, 6:03am, rbarreira wrote:
http://arimaa.com/arimaa/wcc/2011/qual.htm

This is a nice link to see the qualification status. It seems to be missing a game between bot_marwin and bot_Sharp2010Blitz though (or maybe it's not updated very often?).

It is updated once an hour.
IP Logged
rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #6 on: Jan 22nd, 2011, 9:22am »

I was wondering if the Computer Championship games will have the two-move delay as the human event games have. It would be nice to not have it if possible.

I don't think anyone will implement a speech recognizing/natural language interpreter in their bot in order to cheat, at least not anytime soon Wink
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #7 on: Jan 27th, 2011, 1:32pm »

Good suggestion. I've changed it to only use delays if one of the players is human.
IP Logged
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #8 on: Feb 8th, 2011, 8:24pm »

Omar,

I see in the gameroom that you sent out the login information emails, but I don't seem to have received one yet.

Janzert
IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #9 on: Feb 9th, 2011, 8:07am »

on Feb 8th, 2011, 8:24pm, Janzert wrote:
Omar,

I see in the gameroom that you sent out the login information emails, but I don't seem to have received one yet.

Janzert

Yes, I had sent a message to all the bot developers about a week ago.

I've sent the message again through the forum private message system.

If anyone else did not get it, please let me know.
IP Logged
foggy
Forum Full Member

Arimaa player #6010

« Reply #10 on: Feb 11th, 2011, 3:54am »

It seems that developers allready have granted access to some machine to setup the bots. But there is no information on Arimaa page or forum about hardware that will be used for championship. If this information is already known, it would be interesting to see it. If hardware is not known yet, bot setup on other machine probably is redundant.
IP Logged

rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #11 on: Feb 11th, 2011, 4:23am »

on Feb 11th, 2011, 3:54am, foggy wrote:
It seems that developers allready have granted access to some machine to setup the bots. But there is no information on Arimaa page or forum about hardware that will be used for championship. If this information is already known, it would be interesting to see it. If hardware is not known yet, bot setup on other machine probably is redundant.

Since I have a login at the server, I checked the hardware: X3360 CPU @ 2.83 GHz, and 4 GB of RAM. This means higher RAM and an equal CPU compared to last year (the X3360 is a server version of the Q9550), so it should be pretty much the same to setup as last year.
« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2011, 4:24am by rbarreira » IP Logged
omar
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #2

« Reply #12 on: Feb 12th, 2011, 7:51pm »

Thanks for the reminder. I've updated the hardware info.

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/challenge/2011/hardware.html

« Last Edit: Feb 18th, 2011, 12:29pm by omar » IP Logged
rbarreira
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #1621

« Reply #13 on: Feb 18th, 2011, 3:34am »

on Feb 12th, 2011, 7:51pm, omar wrote:
Thanks for the reminder. I've updated the hardware info.

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/challenge/2010/hardware.html

I believe you meant:

http://arimaa.com/arimaa/challenge/2011/hardware.html

I saw jdb and Janzert in the chatroom confused on whether the server had 2 or 4 GB of RAM, I'm guessing they didn't notice the link was for last year's hardware.
IP Logged
Janzert
Forum Guru

Arimaa player #247

« Reply #14 on: Feb 18th, 2011, 8:35am »

ahh, yes I was indeed looking at the hardware for last year. Although I managed to get there, not by following Omar's link above, but by using the first "hardware" link in this year's tournament rules page. Obviously without reading either the sentence it was a part of or the page title once loaded.

Janzert
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Arimaa Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.